Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any interest in a build thread?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I've just bought a house (1950's mass conc semi-d) and will be doing a lot of work on it. I will be probably be asking for some advice here so thought I might do a step by step build thread with pictures and costs etc. Would anybody have any interest in following it or would I be wasting my time?

I will be:
    Removing a chimney
    Adding a few velux windows
    Some rewiring
    Moving a bathroom to another room
    New kitchen
    Full decorating
    Garden + Driveway
    Making a double width opening in one wall
    New heating
    Plus loads of other jobs I can't remember

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swailer

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yep. Threads like this, as long as there are regular updates are popular. The boat build was a scorcher. The personal touch makes for a better connection.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Regular updates shouldn't be a problem!

Anyone have experience cutting and drilling mass concrete? I've read it's hard but how hard? So hard it will wreck core bits or just takes longer?

Here's a couple of rough drawings of my possible plans. Let's see how much they change over time.
    I pinched this drawing from a similar house that was for sale. The black pen lines are the current layout of my house with the bathroom at the top of the drawing and 3 bedrooms to the left. Bottom right is the kitchen/sitting room.
    13817159_10154838494855639_740708457_n.jpg?oh=073e93084df492bcc909c705d8a96b64&oe=57C26D5B

The second picture is the proposed layout without building an extension. Move the bathroom to the small bedroom and then the bathroom and utility will become the sitting room with a double width opening into the kitchen.
    13814651_10154838759235639_437722819_n.jpg?oh=8fd650112f2856754c04c7a1da6720d1&oe=57C28569

Last picture is with a proposed extension. This picture is upside down compared to the other two. The north arrow is pointing nearly directly to the front door which opens onto a corridor that leads straight down the bathroom and third bedroom.
    13866928_10154850123350639_548891547_n.jpg?oh=7681a1582d3e04ccff1000c078609471&oe=57C2CB4E

These pictures are from Facebook so not sure if anyone can view them. I can see them because I'm logged in with Facebook but if others can't see them can I upload pictures or is the URL the only way to add pictures?

I can see them, don't know if I am logged into FB. Not able to enlarge though so it's difficult to understand the plans. A picture of the existing house might help?

I thin there is a rule about posting pictures under a certain post count.... one for others more experienced than me.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

50 posts before links or pics so it will be well finished...
    If there is rebar/mesh in the mass concrete then it is tough, been there done that

Double width opening, if it requires a beam, will require an engineer sign off if u want to sell

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I should be getting the keys this Friday so I will post some pictures then. I have some pics but I don't think it would be right to post them until I have the keys in my hand. I have a few questions someone here might be able to answer for me.

When building an extension does the wall construction have to match modern regs? IE Does it have to be double leaf with an insulated cavity or seen as how the house is mass conc and I will be insulating externally can I build an extension with solid block and insulate after? What other construction types for extensions are possible? Timber frame, cavity block etc?

What's the correct way to replace lead flashing on a chimney? There's some flashing loose on the lowest side of the chimney. Cut a groove with a grinder, put in flashing and repair plaster?

Last question: How much for floor to ceiling windows? Rough guess would be 3.4m wide and 2.4 tall. I'm toying with the idea of 2 big windows like this. One will be just a window and the other will be a window with a glass door. I will start ringing around when I get in and do some measuring but until then I'm just playing with figures in my head.

Thanks guys and girls

Mattresses - what's the craic with them? I've never bought a mattress so should is a €1000 mattress worth it or is it all marketing?
    Also, can I change the name of this thread?

Mattresses? Yeah, I always wondered why they were so expensive. Tried a few out and the difference between say a sub 500e one and one above that is huge. I eventually got a king size for 850e and it is the best one I have ever slept on.

I have a cheap, 200e one on a double bed for visitors and I could only lay on it for a short time before Mr Back starts groaning. My advice.. buy the most expensive one you can afford.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the rule of thumb with mattresses is not to scrimp. We'd think nothing of spending €1000 on a comfy sofa that we might sit on for few hours a week, but think twice about spending that amount on a mattress that we use for 8 hours a day, every day.

• Advertisement

I think I'll splash out on a matress and scrimp on everything else! I'm going to Scotland next Wednesday to collect a jeep for someone so I think I'll load it up with bits for the house. I've been procing hoovers, washing machine, lawn mowers etc and I think I can make a decent saving

• Registered Users Posts: 67,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Good shoes and a good bed', my father always said.
    If you are not in one you are in the other!

Few delays with getting the keys but I have them now. I've been in the house a few days. No heating but the Gas Networks guy is supposed to be here today between 8 and 1, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Electric shower is knackered aswell. I'll put in a new one tlday. Grass is cut and weeds are sprayed so at least it doesn't look too bad from the outside.
    Now how do I upload photos? Do I need to upload them somewhere else and then post the links?

I saw somewhere I need 50 posts to upload photos, this is my 50th post so can I upload photos now or am I cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hanksy123 wrote: »
    I saw somewhere I need 50 posts to upload photos, this is my 50th post so can I upload photos now or am I cheating?
    get your camera :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hanksy123 wrote:
    I will be: Removing a chimney Adding a few velux windows Some rewiring Moving a bathroom to another room New kitchen Full decorating Garden + Driveway Making a double width opening in one wall New heating Plus loads of other jobs I can't remember

I did everyone of those jobs on my house, it's only semi mass concrete though.

If you have the budget consider a final wrap in external insulation don't spend any money on jobs it will cover up, like external finish etc. It will keep.the inside of your house the same size too save you thermo board , they can match into your neighbours too. This is expensive but you'll get a grant. Save a huge amount of external decorating wind need to be too fussy patching over opes , even things like electrics and plumbing could be run outside your house to save money, the external installation could be shaped to encapsulate it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hanksy123 wrote:
    I will be: Removing a chimney Adding a few velux windows Some rewiring Moving a bathroom to another room New kitchen Full decorating Garden + Driveway Making a double width opening in one wall New heating Plus loads of other jobs I can't remember

I did everyone of those jobs on my house, it's only semi mass concrete though.

If you have the budget consider a final wrap in external insulation don't spend any money on jobs it will cover up, like external finish etc. It will keep.the inside of your house the same size too save you thermo board , they can match into your neighbours too. This is expensive but you'll get a grant. Save a huge amount of external decorating wind need to be too fussy patching over opes , even things like electrics and plumbing could be run outside your house to save money, the external installation could be shaped to encapsulate it.

I'm thinking about external insulation. I need to get someone out to tell me which walls are load bearing or not. If I can't move walls my plan will have to change.

Any tips for knowing if walls are load bearing or not? One of the walls I want to move comes up between the joists in the attic. The only think I can see that's making contact with the wall is the ceiling slab so as far as I can see it's not load bearing. I want a pro opinion thought before I get the kango out.

Some pictures of the house:

• Advertisement

Havn't done much yet. Got rid of the weeds and cut the grass, widened the gate and the driveway because it was tiny, powerwashed the moss away, put in low energy bulbs, replacedthe back door barrel and put up a sensor light at the back door.
    Electric shower isn't working so I'm washing in the bath. I feel like a kid every night and I'm on the look out for a few rubber ducks.
    The house was fairly damp when I moved in. I could feel it in my clothes and duvet but I've the heating on every night and the wondows open all day so it feels much better now.
    20160925_200727.jpg

20160928_102456.jpg

20160928_121242.jpg

20160928_160832.jpg

20160929_081441.jpg

Is there a better way to add photos to a post? With these pictures I took them on my phone, uploaded to dropbox, downloaded onto PC, resized with paint and then uploaded individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

...widened the gate and the driveway because it was tiny

Presume you got planning for that, could cause issues down the line if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

lgk wrote: »
    Presume you got planning for that, could cause issues down the line if not.

Or he drove into it by accident and never got around to repairing it :pac:

For posting pictures, I normally use:
    https://postimage.org/
    Just upload them en masse and then you can put a link to each photo in your post so that it appears as an image rather than a link.

Actually if you've already uploaded them to dropbox, you can just link to the photos on dropbox rather than uploading them to boards or another site again.

Planning to widen a gate? Do you need it? They'll have some job getting me to put it back up...anyway, I didn't build anything. I knocked something down, I'd be very surprised if that pillar was a listen structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

hanksy123 wrote:
    Planning to widen a gate? Do you need it? They'll have some job getting me to put it back up...anyway, I didn't build anything. I knocked something down, I'd be very surprised if that pillar was a listen structure.

It is required!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Chances are council will never find out.

I'd keep in the good books with the neighbours.....you don't want an anonymous tip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Rented a bungalow like that with mass concrete walls once. I never examined the structure much as we were only there for a few autumn months. But it was the coldest house I ever lived in. And it wasn't overly shaded or anything like that. So you'd be wanting either exterior cladding for insulation or else good insulated dry lining throughout.

Edited to add: exterior insulation would be best but as I see it's semi detached, that will probably not work. So see what the various neighbours have done as regards wall insulation and how it works for them. Do this now, as any major interior work like this is best done when you can gut the rooms.

It's all down to money! Exterior insulation is expensive. Most of the exterior walls are dry lined but the job was a bit of a bodge so it will be coming down. I'll prob end you going down the dry lining. Waiting for a call back from an engineer. I'm going to get him out to see which walls are structural so I can know what I can knock. Started getting prices for windows today as well. Once I do all the quantity surveying it will be full steam ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

When building an extension does the wall construction have to match modern regs? IE Does it have to be double leaf with an insulated cavity or seen as how the house is mass conc and I will be insulating externally can I build an extension with solid block and insulate after? What other construction types for extensions are possible? Timber frame, cavity block etc?

Yes, any new building work must comply with current regulations as far as I know. As to whether you do this, depends of whether you need/ have planning permission, have a mortgage etc. This sometimes causes wee 'problems' e.g. we have a small step in floor levels upstairs as the floor joists in our extension are deeper than original construction.

You mention external insulation above - have you investigated this? It is the best job but will quite an impact on the exterior of the building, could be c 150mm added all round, including loss of window width etc. Semi-detached? You'd better talk to the neighbour!!!

Anything to do with windows, exterior door opes, chimney flashing etc., take care, get advice, look at good practice.. It's easy to build a waterproof box, nearly any fool could do it. It's the openings like above that are a little trickier, water has a habit of finding weaknesses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mattresses - what's the craic with them? I've never bought a mattress so should is a €1000 mattress worth it or is it all marketing?
    If going cheap, go by brand.

Cheap brand will be bad, but expensive brand cheap can be good. For example; Sealy. Have gotten cheap Sealy mattresses from beds.ie that did me fine. Usually spent €200 or below on a single Sealy orthopaedic mattress.

Basically, look for expensive brand that are cheap.

=-=

Regarding photos, ensure widest side is no more than 800 pixels wide, as some photos can balloon in size.

Advertisement