Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New restaurant for ongar??

Options
  • 09-04-2014 6:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

From Irish Times today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

amdublin wrote: »
    From Irish Times today

I was wondering if Witherspoon might be bidding on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I cant see anything like a large bar or restaurant going in there anytime soon.

The most notable thing about that article is the pyrite in the building fabric. If there was a common builder or material source for other builds in the area it could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsox

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The most notable thing about that article is the pyrite in the building fabric. If there was a common builder or material source for other builds in the area it could be an issue.

Unfortunately there is no "if" in the case of Ongar, particularly the Village and the Green....there was a common source for the infill used and there is pyrite damage to many of the buildings that were constructed during the period of highest risk (2005-2007)....I know this through painful personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

In the case of the Green, I have heard of many many cases of pyrite in Willans, but none in Lily's Way. Do you know of instances of pyrite in the village itself other than Ongar House? I am particularly interested because I live/own a property in the village! No sign of pyrite in our place, thankfully, but reading your message makes me think you've heard of specific instances (but no worries if you'd prefer not to mention places specifically - I'm just wondering if you're referring to residential dwellings in the area ranging from Main St back to Chipping Row. I assume no other business premises has been affected because it'd surely have been worked on by now when most of them have been in use for years). The first I heard of pyrite in the village was when Ongar House went up for sale and I heard about the 200K worth of damage, but the possibility had of course crossed my mind previously due to our close proximity to affected areas in Ongar Green. Sorry to hear you have had personal experience of this. I know people locally who did too, and it sounded like a nightmare.

Re the large bar or restaurant, I personally cannot imagine the business is there for it...we have so many options already. Will definitely be interesting to see what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsox

In the case of the village, I had been referring to Ongar House but there was mention of a possible Pyrite cause when some apartments were badly affected by water damage a while back.

As for the issues in Lily's Way, the houses appear to be fine so, without specifying the exact addresses, you should be able to work out where I'm talking about. In fact, if you take a walk outside these properties you will see clear evidence of Pyrite in the footpaths which have risen and cracked considerably over recent years. Many of the ground floor apartment owners have already initiated cases with Premier Guarantee but the onus is very much on the owners to prove that any damage is caused by Pyrite and that is a costly exercise which requires the shelling out of over €3,000 per apartment.

I'm not on the ground floor and there is a concrete slab between floors so theoretically there shouldn't be any implications for my apartment but, in practice, there have been some issues over the years that suggest otherwise.

For the record, my sister was talking to a guy recently who worked on the development of Ongar and he knew exactly which buildings had been built on top of pyrite infused infill so there are people out there who could save everyone a lot of time and money if they came forward and admitted the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Thanks for the reply, Dubsox. Very interesting - and very scary!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A friend of mine was out of his aptmt in ongar for three months while it was repaired (at builder or insurers expense)
    About a year ago

Advertisement