Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GameJam

• 15-04-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else is participating in the Limerick GameJam?

Here is the link to find out more details

http://limerickgamejam.wix.com/limerickgamejam

The themes are: investigation, sub-zero and lose to win.

I have fleshed out an idea based on the lose to win theme, which I think is very interesting as it flips things on its head.

I am new to game design and am finding it hard to draft the GDD with any confidence of it actually being in anyway good!

Anyone busy building something for this weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

I have now completed the GDD, would anyone be willing to critique it for me? As I said I am new to them so any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

writing that doc would be least favorite thing to do in the whole wide world I think! GameJams for me is all about seeing what you can quickly scrap together in the short time frame, its probably why I'm more of a game jam style developer than in it for the long haul type game dev! :D

I have not read the spec of what you need to deliver here so some of my comments may be way off!

I had a read through the doc anyways. First thin I would say is that the layout of the first page needs some work. It loks a little messed up. I see:
    ""Filter"
    By"

and then it goes into the index, where the first part of the index is "Filter by Will M..."
    For any type of report you should have a dedicated title page I would have thought. Title of the report, sub title maybe, date and author:

Game Design Document for Filter
    Limerick GameJam 2014

Will M...
    16/04/14

I think you have too many main headings in your index too

for example Controls, Camera, Mechanics and powerups are all Gameplay Elements right?.

You may also be able to consolidate the level description into one generic description, after your description for level one you could add "" each subsequent level removes one card to choose from and the points they recieve for incorrect answers increases by one (e.g. Level 3 has only two cars to choose from and they receive 3 points for incorrect answers)

The game sounds interesting though, what do you plan to right it in?

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

Thanks for your feedback! Greatly appreciated, as I said Im new to all this so its good to get some outside perspective.

Haha yeah I think GDD's are my least favourite thing to do as well but part of this GameJam for me was to go through everything from start to finish inside a week to get experience. I am also working with a couple of new people so it was important to put down in writing everything that we needed.

Building it for Android as that is what the guys I am working with are best at. I am happy to say that we have our first build complete. So hopefully we will get a chance to build on it for Saturday's deadline

writing that doc would be least favorite thing to do in the whole wide world I think! GameJams for me is all about seeing what you can quickly scrap together in the short time frame, its probably why I'm more of a game jam style developer than in it for the long haul type game dev! :D

I have not read the spec of what you need to deliver here so some of my comments may be way off!

I had a read through the doc anyways. First thin I would say is that the layout of the first page needs some work. It loks a little messed up. I see:
    ""Filter"
    By"

and then it goes into the index, where the first part of the index is "Filter by Will M..."
    For any type of report you should have a dedicated title page I would have thought. Title of the report, sub title maybe, date and author:

Game Design Document for Filter
    Limerick GameJam 2014

Will M...
    16/04/14

I think you have too many main headings in your index too

for example Controls, Camera, Mechanics and powerups are all Gameplay Elements right?.

You may also be able to consolidate the level description into one generic description, after your description for level one you could add "" each subsequent level removes one card to choose from and the points they recieve for incorrect answers increases by one (e.g. Level 3 has only two cars to choose from and they receive 3 points for incorrect answers)

The game sounds interesting though, what do you plan to right it in?

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sounds great.

Definitely too late to change now, but in future you should consider LibGDX for development, Its really nice and the same code can be deployed on desktops and Androids (IOS and HTML too although I have had very little luck with HTML, never tried IOS)

Make sure to post up some demos and screen shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mob_test

Putty there wasn't a 48 hour jam, couldn't afford a week off to make something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement