Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career change

• 17-04-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone can help me or provide me with any advice or words of wisdom?!
    I am a Registered General Nurse with six years nursing experience who has always had an interest in going into teaching.
    I have obtained an Honours Bachelor Degree in Nursing and a Postgraduate Diploma in gerontology. I have worked in medical and surgical nursing for two and a half years and in a care of the older person setting for four years and have a personal and professional interest in care of the older person.
    I would love to be able to teach the Fetac level 5 care of the older person course or nursing studies course.
    I am going to apply to undertake a Fetac level 6 train the trainer course and was wondering if anyone could recommend suitable courses in the Galway area that are recognised and well run or how much they cost or how long should a reputable course run for/cost?
    If I were to complete this course and with my experience and qualifications would I have a chance in obtaining a job teaching these courses or would I have to do any extra training?
    Also, is it hard to secure a position like this?

Any advice/information greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

I happened to notice a train the trainer course on living social the other day (its an online course and much cheaper). You should see if its still available as it's usually very expensive! I think it would be a nice gesture to have, towards moving to teaching but I wouldn't go doing much more, all you really need is a lucky break!

There's so much you can do with nursing! Never doubt it. Your experience sounds excellent. But maybe consider doing this on the side/as an extra? Any friends I have who did lecturing on certificate courses got max part time hours (not sure if it was fetac though so maybe fetac you'd get more hours)

https://m.livingsocial.com/deals/1068485-fetac-level-6-train-the-trainer-certificate-course?cvosrc=email.blast.digest_dailyie&utm_campaign=digest_dailyie&utm_content=68&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

If you want to teach FETAC Level 5 & 6 in a public college offering FETAC courses than you will need to apply to be registered with the Teaching Council i.e. that is to get a job with any centre/college run by the Education and Training Boards (formerly VECs).

FAS training centres are also coming under the remit of the ETBs so the same will probably apply to them.

Train the Trainer level 6 will not be accepted as a teaching qualification by the ETBs.

In addition from 1st April 2013 to teach at FE level 5 upwards (the level most PLC college start at) you will also need a recognised Post Graduate Diploma in Further Education. Details of recognised Postgraduate Diplomas are also available from the Teaching Council.

Finally be warned there are lay-offs in the public sector (VECs) as the Dept of Education has reduced the pupil;teacher ratio. There are very few jobs available and where there are there are redeployment is taking place from other VECs/ETBs. Alot of experienced teachers are seeking these. In many case the job is only part-time and holidays are not paid e.g. 6 hours per week in some cases. However there may be some part-time night hobby courses available in your local college/centre.

Private colleges set their own requirements so check with them individually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

If you want to teach FETAC Level 5 & 6 in a public college offering FETAC courses than you will need to apply to be registered with the Teaching Council i.e. that is to get a job with any centre/college run by the Education and Training Boards (formerly VECs).

FAS training centres are also coming under the remit of the ETBs so the same will probably apply to them.

Train the Trainer level 6 will not be accepted as a teaching qualification by the ETBs.

In addition from 1st April 2013 to teach at FE level 5 upwards (the level most PLC college start at) you will also need a recognised Post Graduate Diploma in Further Education. Details of recognised Postgraduate Diplomas are also available from the Teaching Council.

Finally be warned there are lay-offs in the public sector (VECs) as the Dept of Education has reduced the pupil;teacher ratio. There are very few jobs available and where there are there are redeployment is taking place from other VECs/ETBs. Alot of experienced teachers are seeking these. In many case the job is only part-time and holidays are not paid e.g. 6 hours per week in some cases. However there may be some part-time night hobby courses available in your local college/centre.

Private colleges set their own requirements so check with them individually

The DES has introduced a tutor grade which is recognised to teach in further ed. The rates of pay etc are not as attractive I think. I must dig out the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

The tutor grade recently brought in is only for certain course areas - beauty / some IT / Dog grooming... off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Oh yes I know that but I think we will find that this will be a slippery slope. It is my understanding from reading something somewhere (that's' some help you say) that wher the coordinator of a course is of tutor grade that there is a proposal to pay any other staff teaching on that course at the tutor rate. I must look around to see where I came across that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement