Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC Level 6, Train the trainer course advice

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone can help me or provide me with any advice or words of wisdom?!
    I am a Registered General Nurse with six years nursing experience who has always had an interest in going into teaching.
    I have obtained an Honours Bachelor Degree in Nursing and a Postgraduate Diploma in gerontology. I have worked in medical and surgical nursing for two and a half years and in a care of the older person setting for four years and have a personal and professional interest in care of the older person.
    I would love to be able to teach the Fetac level 5 care of the older person course or nursing studies course.
    I am going to apply to undertake a Fetac level 6 train the trainer course and was wondering if anyone could recommend suitable courses in the Galway area that are recognised and well run or how much they cost or how long should a reputable course run for/cost?
    If I were to complete this course and with my experience and qualifications would I have a chance in obtaining a job teaching these courses or would I have to do any extra training?
    Also, is it hard to secure a position like this?

Any advice/information greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

In order to teach in a further education college, you need to be registered with the Teaching Council. I think at this stage you would have to do a post-grad in Further Education. I believe there is a course in DCU, there are probably more. I've been teaching since long before the Teaching Council existed so I'm a bit vague on the detail, sorry!

I'm not sure what qualifications are required for teaching with private providers.

Advertisement