Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmolive Shave Stick

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Whilst I personally prfer Arko sticks, I enjoy using Palmolive sticks and find them very good for lathering.

I also enjoy being able to pick them up in my local Tesco for about €0.70!!

However, I have not seen them on the shelves in Tesco for a few weeks now, does anyone know if there is an issue with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I fear they are not stocking them any more. I haven't seen any for a couple of months now in my local Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

That's a shame if they are no longer selling them. I'm sure I can source them elsewhere, but the convenience of they being available in the local supermarket was hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Alive and well in tescos in the north west! was shopping and spotted these on the shelf by chance, delighted i have a chance to try them out :D

DSC_0244.JPG

Buy a few of them. They are great and the price is amazing value.

I hope my local Tesco gets them back in stock. They did have a 'temporarily out of stock' sticker on the Palmolive cream but not the sticks.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Buy a few of them. They are great and the price is amazing value.

I hope my local Tesco gets them back in stock. They did have a 'temporarily out of stock' sticker on the Palmolive cream but not the sticks.

Brought a couple of em, would have brought more of them but i already brought 4 akro sticks off the internet because i didnt think these would be available in tescos again. have loads of shaving soap now for a while!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I was in Wilton/Mahon Tesco and they have the sticks and cream available.

Was in Navan and Tesco, who had been out of stock of these sticks for some months, now again have a full shelf of them at €0.65 each, so perhaps rumours of their demise unfounded. Bought quite a few just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I order my Tesco shop online which remembers all previously purchased items, such as my trusty Palmolive sticks. I can verify over the last couple of years their availability has been flaky in Galway, at best. It wouldn't be the first time they've disappeared for 2-3 months only to reappear. Hope that's the case here.

I wonder if the availability fluctuations are a result of manufacturing them in Germany. I know some manufacturers have set weeks of the year where the don't make anything.

I think in September, Revisor have two weeks off where they dont accept orders for their straight razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Tesco in maynooth have Palmolive cream in stock again at €1.65.

They also have a Wilkinsons Sword Boar brush for less than €6 which looks Reasonable for the money and a tub of Wilkinson Sword soap for €2.95 or something.

Anybody ever tried the soap?

• Advertisement

The wilkinson sword soap in the blue bowl is ok. Not great and can be a touch awkward to lather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The wilkinson sword soap in the blue bowl is ok. Not great and can be a touch awkward to lather.

Ive read the only good part is the bowl.
    (I picked one up some years back in France or Spain, must actually try it!)

I am only going from memory of trying it about 2 years ago. I remember getting a decentish lather from it but it wasn't easy to do.

Certainly dont remember it bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I picked up the wilkson sword bowl in tesco couple of weeks back, gave it a try for the last couple of shaves.
    Decent enough lather, doesnt smell too strong,just doesnt give my skin the feel good factor after shaving like others do.But its ok for the price, would use it if stuck.

Need to do some more shopping soon, my stock of proraso is gone.
    Think i prefer the creams over the soaps/

Anyone recommend anything ? I have very sensitive facial skin and shaving , i found the proraso to be great for me and gave a refreshing shave.

Damm you guys for converting me:D

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I picked up the wilkson sword bowl in tesco couple of weeks back, gave it a try for the last couple of shaves.
    Decent enough lather, doesnt smell too strong,just doesnt give my skin the feel good factor after shaving like others do.But its ok for the price, would use it if stuck.

Anyone recommend anything ? I have very sensitive facial skin and shaving , i found the proraso to be great for me and gave a refreshing shave.

I find Mitchell's Wool Fat excellent. Also worth trying the Cella which is also very good and has to be the best value ever:
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-soap-crema-sapone.html
    Although it might take about a decade to get through the one kilo block :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Life's too short for just one soap.

Which Proraso? If you haven't tried this one, see if you can pick it up
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-sensitive-shaving-soap.html

http://www.shaving.ie/products/speick-shaving-cream.html
    Another good cream for sensitive skin

MWF hard soap as mentioned above is great. A small number of people can react to the lanolin. If you've hard water it can be tricky to get a good lather without practice.

nanny's silly soaps creams also give good protection/cushion if skin is sensitive.
    Stick with the natural range of fragrances and try the goats milk added range.

Don't dismiss the Palmolive cream for a quick/cheap fix. It works great.

Edwin jaggers Natural aloe vera shaving soap is what i use i find it great!, its advertised for sensitive skin and it makes a nice creamy lather in about a minute, althought i still have many soaps and creams to try out yet, i really like this stuff.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Natural-Traditional-Shaving/dp/B001XPHA0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398420824&sr=8-1&keywords=edwin+jagger+shaving+soap
    P.s if you buy some send it to parcel motel for cheaper delivery

Also for sensitive skin, I would recommend the TOBS Jermyn Street. It's really easy to lather and smells quite nice too.

Thanks to you all for your recommendations.
    I will be reinvesting over the next couple of days

I used the proraso sensitive soap, very good I must admit.
    I also had a tube of prorase shaving cream, loved it..very good for my face and gave me an excellent barber fresh feel after shaving.

The palmolive shaving cream tube from Tesco aint bad for the price either.

But i am starting to want my luxurious shave more and more now:D

The troubles I had ( and i cannnot stress how much serious trouble i had ) with ingrown hairs have vanished completely.

Now to spend my afternoon deciding what to splash out on for myself...

Cheers guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Tesco Carlow fully re-stocked today with soap sticks and cream having been out of stock for a number of weeks.

I've had the Lea soap stick in rotation for a while.
    Great results and equally as cheap in Spanish supermarkets.
    Much improved since reformulated and lanolin and tallow added.

Arko sticks and cream, La Toja sticks, The Real Shaving Co. Creams and Body Shop Cream are all excellent in my experience and can be found quite cheap online.

Used a Palmolive shaving stick for the first time today and impressed.
    Great lather, nice smell and felt good on my skin, helped towards a good shave
    For 65 cent in tesco, an excellent bargain,will use again for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

loads of the Palmolive shaving sticks in tesco omni park today.. i picked myself up 2 today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

I like the Palmolive cream. Lasts a good while .

Just thought I would update this thread with some information I saw posted on a different site. Turns out Palmolive have stopped manufacturing most of the shaving line in the UK, apart from their shaving gel.

Here is a copy of an email someone got back from Palmolive.
    Dear Mr ......,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about Palmolive Classic Shaving Stick. We appreciate your interest in our Company and are pleased to have the opportunity to respond.

We regret to inform you that the product you are interested in is not currently being manufactured. In response to decreased consumer demand, we sometimes have to stop manufacturing a product. Unfortunately, we do not have any remaining stock to offer you directly. Although we cannot accommodate you at this time, we realise the importance of hearing from consumers, such as you, in order to remain aware of your continued interest. We will be sure to share your comments with our Business Development Group.

We would like to inform you that the whole range of Palmolive Shaving products has been discountinued in UK except from Palmolive Shaving Sensitive Gel. However you should be able to find Palmolive Shaving products as well the Stick in value stores like Pound Land, Savers etc.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our Company and its products.

Yours sincerely

Heni Buhac
    Consumer Services Representative

I've found it pretty easy to find in Germany in the past. Must secure a few more.

Well that sucks, i just recently started using them after having a few sticks in my shaving cabinet for the last 6 months and i like them :-(

• Advertisement

I got a few in Tesco today.

I'll keep them pristine so that my great grandkids can bring them to the Antiques Roadshow in 2015 :)

Advertisement