Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claudio Abbado R.I.P

Options
  • 20-01-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

We won't see his like again. Best I have ever heard live.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

i was sad to hear this news but he had been ill for a long time. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I never had the good fortune to hear him live, but his recordings are really special.

My favourite is his first account of Beethoven's Pastoral with the Vienna Philharmonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I never had the good fortune to hear him live, but his recordings are really special.

My favourite is his first account of Beethoven's Pastoral with the Vienna Philharmonic.

I heard him live quite a few times going back to the early 80's and he was just outstanding . I love Mahler and Abbado was without peer in that repertoire .

He gave the lie to the stereotypical Maestro arrogant bully type myth as he was apparently a gentle non confrontational (to a fault some say) man who just inspired the greatest performance from his players , who were loyal to him in an extraordinary way.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

marienbad wrote: »
    I love Mahler and Abbado was without peer in that repertoire .

It's not just the sheer breadth of his recordings that is noteworthy, but how brilliantly he conducted so many diverse works. For instance, his recordings with the LSO of orchestral music by Ravel and Mussorgsky are outstanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I only became aware of him in the last year or two - because a few things on Youtube. I'm still quite blown away by his Mahler work. Must check out more. You could tell he loved what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

I see BBC radio 3 Afternonn concert is playing one of his recordings with the Berlin Philharmonic on Tues 15th. Get the recorders on!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

We had an old cassette of him playing Chopin that was played to destruction when I was a kid. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Talented man. RIP.

Advertisement