Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's everyone paddling these days?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

More a question for kayakers/river runners.

What are folks paddling at the moment?
    I've noticed a sharp turn away from Pyrhana boats over the last 3 years. Not so many burns around anymore. Also the new Recon hasn't seemed to catch on much either. Seems there's an increase in Dagger Mambas on the rivers and I'm seeing more Zet Raptors as well. The Stomper didn't catch on much either and I've seen only a few Jackson creekers/river runners.

I'm in a 8.6 Mamba at the moment. The Karma had my eye as a possible new boat in the future.

What's everyone else in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

yomchi wrote: »
    More a question for kayakers/river runners.

What are folks paddling at the moment?
    I've noticed a sharp turn away from Pyrhana boats over the last 3 years. Not so many burns around anymore. Also the new Recon hasn't seemed to catch on much either. Seems there's an increase in Dagger Mambas on the rivers and I'm seeing more Zet Raptors as well. The Stomper didn't catch on much either and I've seen only a few Jackson creekers/river runners.

I'm in a 8.6 Mamba at the moment. The Karma had my eye as a possible new boat in the future.

What's everyone else in?

I'm in a jackson jeffe grande myself, but the mambas seem to be massive, Tbh I was considering buying the JAckson Zen last year as it seemed to be a nice boat, but nobody bought one bought of anyone I know!
    Personally I find the jeffe a bit slow but its ability to take anygear you want compensates for that

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Mamba 8.1 - great boat. Had a Burn before and think the Mamba is just so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I noticed on Facebook there a lad broke his Jackson Karma twice in Kerry. Doesn't ring too good for their plastic which is a pity. I like the Jackson range, having said that I paddle their playboats as opposed to their river running/creekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I have a Mamba 8.1 and love it. A good few people I know are starting to buy them. Zet Raptors seem to be the boat to have this year though. Loads of people I paddle with have them and having been in one a few times, they are a very good boat, if only the outfitting was a bit more rigid. I know of a few people paddling Exo's from Italy, especially the XT260 and XT300. I used the XT260 once on the Boluisce and it's an absolutely fantastic boat. It almost feels as narrow as a surf kayak but it's an absolute rocket and so easy to maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

In a Project most of the time. Have a trusty old H3 for anything juicy.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    I have a Mamba 8.1 and love it. A good few people I know are starting to buy them. Zet Raptors seem to be the boat to have this year though. Loads of people I paddle with have them and having been in one a few times, they are a very good boat, if only the outfitting was a bit more rigid. I know of a few people paddling Exo's from Italy, especially the XT260 and XT300. I used the XT260 once on the Boluisce and it's an absolutely fantastic boat. It almost feels as narrow as a surf kayak but it's an absolute rocket and so easy to maneuver.

Was that run on the Boluisce recently? I just watched a video and there's an orange Exo moving quite nicely on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Was that run on the Boluisce recently? I just watched a video and there's an orange Exo moving quite nicely on it :)

Yep that's the one! That was my video and me trying out the Exo in Poll Gorm. It's a savage boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

In 6 months-ish I'll be back home to my frenzy.

Chavways wrote: »
    Yep that's the one! That was my video and me trying out the Exo in Poll Gorm. It's a savage boat.

One of the lads at my club is the main dealer for the Exo, looks like a great baot alright. I thought the plastic felt a bit 'hard' or crisp maybe. Not sure how it would hold up under a bang or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Paddled down the Roe on Saturday. It's near Derry.

Bit more water and it'd be savage !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

a new Burn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Habitat 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

Does and one use a wooden kayak?me and the old man bought a Canadian
    Kayak off a friend in the US and are having it shipped home,pure beginners
    But it was built from kit form?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Kit building kayaks is huge in the states and I looked into it awhile ago (6 months). The kits are simple but time consuming. Depending on the kit it should be ok as long as the builder followed the instructions.

Canadians and kids kayaks seem to be the biggest kit sellers???

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

To be cantankerous I would would say I am paddling a 'boat' - the boat doesn't matter, the paddler does.

If it doesn't do what you want that is your fault and not the fault of the boat.

Must try harder :D

carthoris wrote: »
    To be cantankerous I would would say I am paddling a 'boat' - the boat doesn't matter, the paddler does.

If it doesn't do what you want that is your fault and not the fault of the boat.

Must try harder :D

10 out of 10 for being off topic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john lanigan

so your saying as a newbie having maybe 3 flat water lessons and 5 river runs in a pyrahna 242 the fact that the tail gets caught very fast and im swimming is all my fault ,not maybe wrong boat at all,perhaps inexperience ,,,NO,...I was half thinking of a medium karnali ,where are all theese second hand burns gone to,I would like one of them,long summer comming to hone my skills n 242 is fun at the bech,

so your saying as a newbie having maybe 3 flat water lessons and 5 river runs in a pyrahna 242 the fact that the tail gets caught very fast and im swimming is all my fault ,not maybe wrong boat at all,perhaps inexperience ,,,NO,...I was half thinking of a medium karnali ,where are all theese second hand burns gone to,I would like one of them,long summer comming to hone my skills n 242 is fun at the bech,

Kanarli is a great boat! I started in a medium Kanarli great river runner.

But when you get it right in a 242 you'll be able to do it burn/karnali even better :P :cool:

I think less people stay in the sport when their early learning is done in a low volume river runner/play boat. You are right in what you say in relation to skill and that if you can pull off ferry gliding and breaking and out in a low volume unforgiving boat then you will have no problem doing it in a larger volume boat, but the head games that go with that learning curve often put an end to participation in the sport. My very first river trip was in a Wave Sport EZ 69 and I thought I was just sh1te compared to everyone else who were in Liquid Logic Hoss's and Kanarli's.

Luckily I'm still here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

10 out of 10 for being off topic ;)

My apologies. I feel that the natural progression of such a thread is to what is the best boat and ... well I think I have already made my feelings known on that :D

As to the original topic; I paddle a Mamba and have done for for a while. It is a nice boat and very MOR. I don't think I would get a new one however as they are so heavy, I would like something quicker and more fun like a Remix, Axiom, Zen or even an Innazone.
    You are right in what you say in relation to skill and that if you can pull off ferry gliding and breaking and out in a low volume unforgiving boat then you will have no problem doing it in a larger volume boat, but the head games that go with that learning curve often put an end to participation in the sport.

I am not sure if I should continue this line as it might drag this further off topic, but I wonder if having a shallower learning curve at the beginning makes it more difficult later on when things get tougher. I.e will someone in a large forgiving boat starting out quickly get to L3 and then plateau as they need time to develop more. This could also lead people into getting into stuff they are not able to deal with.

carthoris wrote: »
    My apologies. I feel that the natural progression of such a thread is to what is the best boat and ... well I think I have already made my feelings known on that :D

As to the original topic; I paddle a Mamba and have done for for a while. It is a nice boat and very MOR. I don't think I would get a new one however as they are so heavy, I would like something quicker and more fun like a Remix, Axiom, Zen or even an Innazone.

I am not sure if I should continue this line as it might drag this further off topic, but I wonder if having a shallower learning curve at the beginning makes it more difficult later on when things get tougher. I.e will someone in a large forgiving boat starting out quickly get to L3 and then plateau as they need time to develop more. This could also lead people into getting into stuff they are not able to deal with.

I agree with this.....I started off learning in the smaller boats and although I capsized a bit I think I ended up with a more confident edge control when I got fat and started paddling bigger boats :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

paddling a sit on top. great fun, can use it in very small waves too, self draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ironlungs

A Tarpon 120, great for ocean kayaking, have done a bit of fishing off it. Not as agile as some, but I can take the kids for a spin quite safely, so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SALIERI

Started off with GTX's at the club. Got a H2 255 this year in great nick and really liking the feel of it. Seems quite nippy.

Advertisement