Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This city...

Options
  • 25-04-2014 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I really can't ****ing believe this city. I really can't. This morning I wake up, going to throw the rubbish bags into the bin to find both bins have been stolen. A ****ing bog-standard green and blue wheelie bin. I rent an apartment in Blackpool and it's on a street with no space to move the bins into the building. I hadn't even thought about it. Who the **** steals rubbish bins? Seriously? What could you possibly gain from it? Not only do I have to deal with mobs of violent, surly kids who think they own the place at work, but I have to deal with this **** when I go home. And fan-****ing-tastic, I now get to pay to seventy euro to have both bins replaced which isn't exactly something I can afford.

What the ****, Cork? Seriously, what the absolute-****?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RevRun

pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Wut? Is that supposed to mean something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

OP....so sorry that you are picking up the tab.....but the city is turning nasty.
    Was on the road from Blarney and got to the lights before Blackpool shopping centre, where some kids had pressed the pedestrian switch to cross the road- all crossed with their middle finger displayed to drivers and recording it on their phones. I told my kids to put their heads down- they are young and don't need to see this.
    I really resent (and actually hate)people making excuses - these are just toe-rags!

It's so much more prevalent now ......it's so awful on the great Cork people.....but the city is overrun by scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Apparently scumbags are taking them and burning stuff in them, it's a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Anti social behaviour does seem to be rapidly escalating. The age profile of those involved is worrying. What the city will be like in ten years:-( its a country wide problem and sadly its only going to get worse. The government don't seem to be too pushed about it. If you can't tax it, seems they're not bothered. Decent, hard working people will have to suffer the consequences, as well as picking up the tab for their welfare.

• Advertisement

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Apparently scumbags are taking them and burning stuff in them, it's a bit of a joke.

How can you say it's a joke? A person (who had paid for bin collection) has had their bin stolen and now has to fork out another €70 just for the pleasure of replacing a bin???

Also NOTHING was mentioned about burning stuff??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

How can you say it's a joke? A person (who had paid for bin collection) has had their bin stolen and now has to fork out another €70 just for the pleasure of replacing a bin???

I meant their behaviour is a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You live in Blackpool… maybe you should move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

We need to start taking a zero tolerance approach to anti social behaviour in this country before it spirals out of control. If it hasn't already.

This thread is Cork related but could apply to any major town/city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a thread in AH recently about this. Can't remember if it was happening in Cork or somewhere else. Seems to be a growing trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I live in Cork quite happily without any issues - may be localised,please don't generalise....just a note so that this thread doesn't get out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have been put off Cork city as such for a long time and decided this weekend were going to take a stroll in see what tis like now. I thought twas after getting rough so we stopped going in. Such a shame kids and people act like this especially with other peoples property so stupid and mean you never know someone what situation people so should think about doing crap like this more..

Perhaps you could take to chaining you bins together maybe and putting a bolt on the wallk, say it to the landlord maybe about putting the bolt on the wall surely if he is going to rent again if lets say you moved it would be of benefit to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

This is a load of bollox. Its a city of a quater of a million people, there is going to be ****heads among them. You live in Blackpool and the bins are left outside on the street, what do you think is going to happen? I mean seriously like. Bring it up with your landlord and get it sorted rather than mouthing off on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OP, I am sorry to hear about this annoying incident. But as mentioned above, you'll have that where bins and such are on the pavement in old parts of the city like that. I live in another part of Cork and you wouldn't hear "boo" from one end of the month to another. With regard to the city-centre, I keep hearing various horror stories but aside from the odd half-dozen youngfellas having a belt-up on Academy Street on a Saturday afternoon, I find it quite peaceful at most hours of the day and night. Maybe it's just me. One thing I do notice is that a lot of the people I see strolling around the heart of the city, enjoying themselves and it, are our Continental cousins. Maybe we'd do well enough to take a leaf out of their book, and confiscate our city from the scuts. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

CHealy wrote: »
    This is a load of bollox. Its a city of a quater of a million people, there is going to be ****heads among them. You live in Blackpool and the bins are left outside on the street, what do you think is going to happen? I mean seriously like. Bring it up with your landlord and get it sorted rather than mouthing off on an internet forum.

That's one of the functions of internet forums. Seriously like.

Well pardon me for thinking a bloody bin would be the last thing someone would steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

But that's exactly what they do with them, at best they make bonfires and have bushing parties, at worse they throw burning bins off overpass bridges onto traffic lanes and set them alight alongside building in the hope that the building catches.

Perhaps, 30% of the Cork Fire Brigade turnouts are to the CUH for burnt toast or to UCC for chemical alarms. Perhaps 25% are bogus calls and perhaps another 25% are for "rubbish on fire".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That's one of the functions of internet forums. Seriously like.

Fair enough, but maybe it could have been worded better.
    Well pardon me for thinking a bloody bin would be the last thing someone would steal.

The way I see it, if I left a wheelie bin outside on the street without locks or some sort of tied down security, I would fully expect them to be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

You are so pardoned.

I would accept that most people would never think their bin would be stolen. Bins should be stored inside the property and not on the street. The wheelie bins are bigger and bulkier than the older bin and it is not an easy job to move them even to the back of the house, and I know how small the Blackpool properties are, so it is impossible to store them inside ~ never mind what Health And Safety would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sorry, but I really hate this attitude. It's basically saying how dare the expect their stuff not to be stolen, and blaming them for complaining about it.

Yes, anything that's left out in the public here without being nailed down is at risk of being smashed or stolen, but that's no reason not to be annoyed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

To be honest? I blame the parents. and the parents of the parents. Whoever started to tolerate this anti social behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hayden*

Your bin company can track the bin to see where it is so ask them to do this in case it's a neighbour who has stolen it so they don't have to pay... this often happens around this time of year when students etc. are moving out... we found our bin in our neighbours yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I really can't ****ing believe this city. I really can't. This morning I wake up, going to throw the rubbish bags into the bin to find both bins have been stolen. A ****ing bog-standard green and blue wheelie bin. I rent an apartment in Blackpool and it's on a street with no space to move the bins into the building. I hadn't even thought about it. Who the **** steals rubbish bins? Seriously? What could you possibly gain from it? Not only do I have to deal with mobs of violent, surly kids who think they own the place at work, but I have to deal with this **** when I go home. And fan-****ing-tastic, I now get to pay to seventy euro to have both bins replaced which isn't exactly something I can afford.

What the ****, Cork? Seriously, what the absolute-****?!

Maybe you might narrow down your criticism to your own neighborhood. Sorry for sounding Sh**** but you live in Blackpool. Just because it happens there and other such neighbourhoods it does not occur every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

OP....so sorry that you are picking up the tab.....but the city is turning nasty.
    Was on the road from Blarney and got to the lights before Blackpool shopping centre, where some kids had pressed the pedestrian switch to cross the road- all crossed with their middle finger displayed to drivers and recording it on their phones. I told my kids to put their heads down- they are young and don't need to see this.
    I really resent (and actually hate)people making excuses - these are just toe-rags!

It's so much more prevalent now ......it's so awful on the great Cork people.....but the city is overrun by scum.

So you are saying that we have a world war three situation on our hands over a few thugs giving the middle finger?Is Cork the only place in Ireland where brats make rude gestures?

So you are saying that we have a world war three situation on our hands over a few thugs giving the middle finger?Is Cork the only place in Ireland where brats make rude gestures?

No Totally Tropical - I never said anything about a 'world war three' situation - that was you.

kub wrote: »
    Maybe you might narrow down your criticism to your own neighborhood. Sorry for sounding Sh**** but you live in Blackpool. Just because it happens there and other such neighbourhoods it does not occur every where.

I used to live down in Mahon, well, Jacob's Island to be more accurate. A nice gated community place. Motorcycle stolen right in front of my place. From what I've been told, Mahon itself is even worse and Mayfield is about as dangerous as Detroit the way I've heard some people talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I have a spare bin which you can have FOC if it's of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Found it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

kub wrote: »

i am just going to say, the children here are just as unruly, whats worse is because this is seen as a "well to do" area nothing is done about it,

we deal with regularly a gang of kids from 4 years old up to 11 or 12 year olds out from the early evening up to and after 11pm at night screaming, roaring profanities, damaging peoples properties by carving their names into windows and doors or whacking sliotars off the windows, no parents in sight (usually in home drinking wine or on facebook) and you are telling me these things happen just because they live in blackpool? well we live in maryborough and this happens in douglas too, worse even according to friends and family living there what we have is mild.

bad parents are everywhere in Cork, and the terrible parenting is leading to unruly children and more incidences of anti social behaviour which those who are effected by it are allowed complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Popped into town today for the first time in a long time and have to say we quite enjoyed it..Shame to see a lot of the shops closed but then twice as nice to see a few new ones there. Seemed to have a nice atmosphere around the place.A lot of rough looking kids around alright and what is it with the lads walking around with their hands in their pockets tugging at their mickeys looks so bad twas all in make company so I hope they don't do it around girls but still time and a place..

Will defo be going in more often nice for a stroll not the worst of citys

Advertisement