Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye strain? Something else?

• 27-03-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys,

First and foremost, I'm not looking for medical advice here, as what I'm going to be asking might sound like I am. I'm merely wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms to myself.

For about the last 5 weeks, I've been having difficulty with my vision. I'm finding I'm waking up with very tired eyes, sometimes dry. My vision goes out of focus much easier (usually it's something I'd have to force upon my eyes) and it seems to happen everyday without any real reason. I find myself having to blink a few times for things to come into complete focus (A mild blurry edge around words) and when I go outside during the day, I'm quite sensitive to light, having to squint quite a lot. My vision feels like it can't settle properly and feels jerky a lot of the time.

I went to the Optometrist and she told me my vision was fine, they looked healthy and there was no need for glasses or contacts. I do spend hours at the computer without breaking too much, and honestly my lighting setup where I work isn't the best.

I'm wondering if it's just eye strain? I've not experienced this before in all the years I've been doing work with computers so I just want to rule out any other possible causes.

F.Y.I : Just before Christmas, I had a panic attack and I've not had one since, but in research to what had happened to me, I noticed that some of my symptoms are cause by the anxiety that's created around a panic attack and does effect your eyes in similar ways. However, I don't feel anxiety that often and this is a daily occurance with my eyes, so I think I'll rule that out for now.

If anyone has had similar symptoms, any advice would be great.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

Did your Optometrist do a thorough eye exam? They should check the pressure in the eye (usually with an instrument that puffs air into your eye). They can also check the back of the eye with an instrument called fundus camera. Might be worth getting a second opinion if they did not do these tests. A lot of equipment is very expensive and can vary between different clinics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Foggles

You need to get a second opinion from another Optometrist, this one may not have been listening to your specific problem.

Your vision maybe fine and you may not need glasses but you clearly have a problem and your optometrist should address this.

For example, did your optometrist mention the quality of your tear film? Were you asked about your work set up, the type of work you do or the type of monitor you use?

Get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Hey guys,

First and foremost, I'm not looking for medical advice here, as what I'm going to be asking might sound like I am. I'm merely wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms to myself.

For about the last 5 weeks, I've been having difficulty with my vision. I'm finding I'm waking up with very tired eyes, sometimes dry. My vision goes out of focus much easier (usually it's something I'd have to force upon my eyes) and it seems to happen everyday without any real reason. I find myself having to blink a few times for things to come into complete focus (A mild blurry edge around words) and when I go outside during the day, I'm quite sensitive to light, having to squint quite a lot. My vision feels like it can't settle properly and feels jerky a lot of the time.

I went to the Optometrist and she told me my vision was fine, they looked healthy and there was no need for glasses or contacts. I do spend hours at the computer without breaking too much, and honestly my lighting setup where I work isn't the best.

I'm wondering if it's just eye strain? I've not experienced this before in all the years I've been doing work with computers so I just want to rule out any other possible causes.

F.Y.I : Just before Christmas, I had a panic attack and I've not had one since, but in research to what had happened to me, I noticed that some of my symptoms are cause by the anxiety that's created around a panic attack and does effect your eyes in similar ways. However, I don't feel anxiety that often and this is a daily occurance with my eyes, so I think I'll rule that out for now.

If anyone has had similar symptoms, any advice would be great.

Thank you!

I experienced very similar symptoms a couple of years ago. I assumed it was merely dry eye and decided to buy various types of drops in an attempt to alleviate the problem - all to no avail. I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I was advised to apply very warm water (containing two or three drops of baby shampoo) to my eyes using cotton pads for five minutes twice daily - preferably in the morning and at night. I did not notice an immediate benefit but after a week or so the condition improved significantly. It has been essential for me to continue with the twice-daily routine, but it has been very much worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭slongwill

What the OP is describing does sound like a tear film problem (possibly caused by lid inflammation). Get a second opinion from an Optom.

@ Leopardi - There are more convenient cleaning options for blepharitis - namely blephasol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

slongwill wrote: »
    What the OP is describing does sound like a tear film problem (possibly caused by lid inflammation). Get a second opinion from an Optom.

@ Leopardi - There are more convenient cleaning options for blepharitis - namely blephasol.

Cheers! I was not aware of that product. I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭slongwill

Leopardi wrote: »
    Cheers! I was not aware of that product. I'll give it a try.

NP, it's a solution that you put on a cotton bud/pad very similar to how you are applying your baby shampoo solution.

Ps. most bleph px also have some meibomian gland problems and heated compression+massage are also very helpful. :)

Advertisement