Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The gate was locked cause it was the middle of the night no doubt, ya lunatic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

SamforMayo wrote: »
    The gate was locked cause it was the middle of the night no doubt, ya lunatic!!

It was after 6am - I was late this morning!!:D

Week 11 Q3 Session: 5 x 1mile @ T pace.

Got up at 5:30 this morning for this but after ten minutes just went back to bed as couldn't face it - very rare for me to do that. :( Plan instead was to bin the session and just do an easy run at some stage today.

Felt guilty all morning so decided to get the session done at lunchtime instead and thankfully had the gear in the boot. Done a very easy untimed 1 mile warm-up run and then into the session after a fair bit of stretched. Have moved up a v-dot based on Fingal result so target was 6:38.

Wasn't expecting much from this and thought I would struggle, particularly given the humidity but it felt good and very comfortable even if I did sweat buckets.

Mile splits were as follows:
    1. 6:31
    2. 6:33
    3. 6:34
    4. 6:27
    5. 6:24

All with 1 minute standing recoveries - which turned into how much water can I consume in a minute challenges.:D

Done a very gentle 1.5 mile cool down run for a total of 7.5 miles. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice going Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Super session again, your training is savage TJ. Is there something in that Cavan water?!

tang1 wrote: »
    Super session again, your training is savage TJ. Is there something in that Cavan water?!

Ha - I wish!! Yeah things going well at the minute and hopefully will stay that way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent session TJ, you seem to have moved to another level since our run :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I slept-in yesterday morning and lost my window for my 10 miler. Was feeling really guilty yesterday (although not as guilty as when I don't sleep-in but actively decide to skip a run). Then I read your post from yesterday the one with the gate-climbing and I felt even more guilty.

Then I start reading your post from today about going back to bed after 10 minutes and I didn't feel so guilty anymore. But then I see you got the session in anyway later in the day, guilty again.

Can't wait to start running at 5:30 tomorrow morning and reclaim that 10 miler.

:rolleyes:

5.5 mile easy with 6x15 sec strides:

Yesterday was well needed rest day.:)

Got out early this morning to beat the humidity but was still ridiculously hot. Was still hot when it started raining about 5 mins into this.

Pace was nice and slow as legs felt absolutely thrashed. 1st mile was 9 mins and only gradually came down after that. Last minute decision to throw in the strides but glad I did.

Average pace was 8:38 and was sweating buckets after it.

Have a 10mile @ MP in the plan for tomorrow but i think it would be madness to do it so will put it back to next week and do a decent LSR early in the morning.

• Advertisement

14 mile LSR @ 7:53

Mrs Joad was doing a triathlon today so no choice but to set the alarm for 6 am, lash a bit of porridge into me and head off.

Started of nice and slow and eased my way into it. Humidity had broken and there was a light drizzle so felt a lot easier than recently and soon got into a nice rythmn and the miles flew by. Had brought money with me to buy water but kept going as felt good and upped the pace over the last two miles and was down near HMP for the last half mile.

Best I've felt on a LSR for a long time and nice to get this one in.

Splits were: 8:18; 7:55; 8:00; 7:53; 7:56; 7:53; 8:01; 7:53; 7:51; 7:51; 7:49; 7:56; 7:50; 7:20

Weekly Total: 45 miles

5 miles easy

Only got out this evening for this as was too lazy this morning to get out of the scratcher :rolleyes:. Was very warm out tonight and because time was short I done this on a route beside me which has two of the things Cavan is renowned for (and no not tight feckers :pac:) - hills and pig farms!!
    So it was a smelly up and down run - legs were knackered so kept the pace nice and slow - average pace was 8:23.

Today was also day 3 in new runners which are same again Brooks GTS14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats on the sub 40 TJ!

Week 13 Q2 Session: 5 x 1mile Threshold

Another wall climbing escapade to get into the local track at 6am for this. I hope they don't have cctv because it ain't pretty me trying to climb a 6ft wall :pac:.

Done a nice and gentle 1 mile warm-up a bit of strectching before getting into the session. Was half asleep tbh and done this on auto-pilot but pace felt comfortable and the 1 min rests allowed me plenty of recovery time. Target was 6:38 and splits were:

6:24
    6:31
    6:32
    6:28
    6:27

Another 1 mile cool down and back over the wall and home, done and dusted by 7am. :)

Total: 7 miles

Super session at that woeful hour TJ - nice work

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Week 13 Q2 Session: 5 x 1mile Threshold

Another wall climbing escapade to get into the local track at 6am for this. I hope they don't have cctv because it ain't pretty me trying to climb a 6ft wall :pac:.

Done a nice and gentle 1 mile warm-up a bit of strectching before getting into the session. Was half asleep tbh and done this on auto-pilot but pace felt comfortable and the 1 min rests allowed me plenty of recovery time. Target was 6:38 and splits were:

6:24
    6:31
    6:32
    6:28
    6:27

Another 1 mile cool down and back over the wall and home, done and dusted by 7am. :)

Total: 7 miles

Wall climbing counts as core work. Just ask Krusty.

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Wall climbing counts as core work. Just ask Krusty.

The way I climb it, i'd say it definitely does count :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great session TJ, although I have to ask, out of curiosity more than anything else. You said target pace was 6.38 then you hit the first rep in 6.24 before averaging 10 seconds per faster for each rep. Any reason for this, has your vDot level changed due to improvements in fitness? That would be great if it's the case but if not then you might be slightly overcooking the paces (or underestimating your fitness!). Not a criticism, just something that jumped out at me!.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Great session TJ, although I have to ask, out of curiosity more than anything else. You said target pace was 6.38 then you hit the first rep in 6.24 before averaging 10 seconds per faster for each rep. Any reason for this, has your vDot level changed due to improvements in fitness? That would be great if it's the case but if not then you might be slightly overcooking the paces (or underestimating your fitness!). Not a criticism, just something that jumped out at me!.

Good question. I have amended my vdot recently based on 10k result so 6:38 is new T pace. The reason the reps are on the quick side is that I usually hit the first 200mtrs about 10 seconds ahead of pace - I always seem to take off too quick no matter what I do - the pace usually settles down over the rest so don't try to go slower than T pace over the remainder to compensate for the 10 seconds and the 5 reps were comfortable even with the rest only being 1 minute. (Which means i do 200mtrs @ Interval pace and 1409 @ T pace!!)

5 mile easy @ 8:23 pace

Another early start for this and was fairly uneventful - kept the pace nice and easy and enjoyed the nice cool breeze.

End of July report

Best month running wise in a long time. Highest mileage ever @ 182.5, 10k PB and most importantly sub 40 :D, some good sessions and finished Phase 3 of JD Plan.

August plan is to focus on 5k races- 3 lined up over the coming few weeks and keep the mileage at about 45 miles per week. Need to get a few good 15-16 mile LSR's done with an eye on Athlone HM in September.

Month|2013|2014
    January|57|177.2
    February|78|87
    March|87.45|148.25
    April|125.7|120.5
    May|117|94.45
    June|105|144.5
    July|125.5|182.5
    August|125.5|
    September|112.5|
    October|160.5|
    November|148|
    December|144.5|
    Total|1386.65|954.4

• Advertisement

6 Miles easy @ 8:05 pace

Got out at lunchtime for this and weather was perfect for running. Picked a nice flat route near the office and done 6 miles nice and easy - fairly consistent pace throughout and miles flew by.

Am down in Kerry for the long weekend so might get a MP session in very early tomorrow morning before the spin down.

Saturday: 4.5 miles Easy

Knew I was heading to Kerry for the weekend so plan was to get out early Saturday morning and do a LSR with some MP miles. Got up at 5:30 and had the porridge and was happy out and raring to go. Opened the front door and met a wall of water coming at me. Decided that running in that would be a bad idea so baled on the session.

When I got to Kerry the weather was good so got out for an easy 4.5 mile run - all I could fit in with other stuff going on. Pace was 8:17

Sunday: 10 mile with 3 @HMP
    Got out nice and early for this and picked a quiet route around the wilds of North Kerry. Had no fixed plan in mind and was unsure of the route so went with the flow and as the pace was on the quick side after 4 miles (average of 7:50 miles) I decided to do a few MP miles. After 3 I met a big hill so left it at 3 (6:58, 7:02, 7:01 for MP miles) and slowed down for the last few miles. Had thought route was a wee bit longer and could have added a few miles on but the young lad seen me pass the house after 10 miles so finished up and took him to the playground instead. Happy enough to get a run in and the 3 @ HMP felt nice and comfortable.

Spent today travelling back up the country so no chance of a run but no harm in a rest day with a race this week.

Week 14 Q2 Session - 3 x 1 T w/ 2 min rest:

Have the week off work so delayed this until after lunch. With a race planned for Friday took the option in the plan to shorten this from 5 x 1mile to 3 x 1 mile.

Done a nice and easy 2 mile warm-up and a good bit of stretching before getting into this.

First 1 mile was perfectly timed for a change and happy to see 6:37 on the watch (target was 6:38).

2 minute standing recovery and then started the 2nd mile. Completely switched off over the last half a mile (was visually myself running a sub 19 5k :o:o) - 6:24.

Another 2 minute standing recovery before the final mile - felt good and controlled and got it done in 6:34.

Finished with a 2 mile coll down run for a total of 7 miles.

Just nice and easy running between now and race Friday and will do my LSR on Sunday.

Great going again there TJ - where's the race on Friday?

Cheers D. It's the Streets of Athboy 5k on Friday evening.

Happy days, might see you there - I'm trying to get myself organised to get over and run it

Duanington wrote: »
    Happy days, might see you there - I'm trying to get myself organised to get over and run it

Good stuff - you might even give me a demo of them chin-ups :D

5 miles Easy @8:37 pace

Was headed for the Zoo with the clan today so was out early for this as Mrs Joad has triathlon training tonight. Had a few cheeky glasses of wine last night as I'm off this week. Run was very slow this morning as a result but no harm in that at all.

Fair bit of cross training chasing the kids around the Zoo for the rest of the day :D

Take it sub 19 is the target Friday evening TJ?

Take it sub 19 is the target Friday evening TJ?

Yes most definitely - safe it the knowledge that if I make a c0ck of it - will have another two attempts in two weeks. What's the target for you?

• Advertisement

Yes most definitely - safe it the knowledge that if I make a c0ck of it - will have another two attempts in two weeks. What's the target for you?

Sub 19.30 hopefully, have ran 16 & 17 miler in past 4 days so the legs may not be feeling the love, but i'll give it my best shot anyway.

Sub 19.30 hopefully, have ran 16 & 17 miler in past 4 days so the legs may not be feeling the love, but i'll give it my best shot anyway.

Good stuff - hopefully will catch up with you there!

Good stuff - hopefully will catch up with you there!

Will have a black Tri & Run singlet on and the by now standard shaven head.

Will have a black Tri & Run singlet on and the by now standard shaven head.

Should be easy to spot so :) I'll be sporting my green and yellow garish club top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Good luck tomorrow evening. I think it's just a case of how many of the three 5Ks you've lined up will see you go under 19:00. I think you'll do it first time of asking. Take a good racing line.

5 mile Easy with 6 x 20sec strides:

After spending what felt like all day in Ikea and then putting together flat pack was glad to get out for a run this evening.

Weather was playing ball too and was nice and cool. Nice and easy 5 mile @ 8:07 pace and threw in 6 x 20second strides at 5k pace just to keep the legs used to 5k pace. :)

What's the thread title gonna be come tomorrow evening TJ! Enjoy it

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Best of luck tomorrow Tom

What's the thread title gonna be come tomorrow evening TJ! Enjoy it

TbL

Good question TbL - If I do go under the 19 will leave it alone until the 18 weeks are up. Haven't given too much thought to what's next but have in the back of my mind to focus on a few Halfs and then give the cross country season a right good crack with the club.

In the meantime will have to try think of a new title!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow Tom

Good luck tomorrow Tom, run like there is a nutter with a shaved head and dodgy top chasing you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Best of luck.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    dodgy top;)

My fashion sense is impeccable!!

Enjoy the run tomorrow TJ - no doubt you'll hit your target

My fashion sense is impeccable!!
    Oh id say Gok Wan is loosing sleep that your after his job:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Smash it tomorrow TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck

Streets of Athboy 5k: 18:54

Felt fantastic all week and today going into this. I was confident that sub 19 was in the bag as long as I done nothing silly.

Got to Athboy with loads of time to spare and got the number before doing a fair bit of stretching. Shoulder was sore from playing too much Wii Sports with the young lad today :o so spent a bit of time loosening it up.

Headed down to the start line and met Tang - had a quick chat with Tang which relaxed me no end - Before the gun Tang pointed out two Na Fianna runners and told me if I kept them in sight I would hit my goal.

So headed off and after the first 500mtrs knew Tang was 100% on the money so race strategy was simple - keep the Na Fianna guys in sight and sub 19 was mine. 1st k was done in 3:39 so loads of time banked. 2nd k flew by and no positional changes- 3:46. by end of 3rd K was nicely positioned on the back of a group with a few Fr.Murphys and Na Fianna guys who were running nicely - 3:54. Knew the pace had slowed a wee bit but wasn't too bothered and 4th k just sailed by and started to feel really comfortable at this point - 3:49. On the 5th K upped the pace a wee bit but main focus was on ensuring I got home under 19 and didn't really make a move until 400 metres to go - passed a fair few on last 400 metres and had a bit in the tank for a burst for the line and happy to cross the line in 18:54 - job done and 24 second PB!!

Unusually for me was no dry retching or jelly legs after finished. Confirmed for me that there was a wee bit more left in the tank if I wanted it.

Met Tang afterwards and we done a nice and gentle 1 mile cool down. Was starving after the race so headed off home shortly after - stopped for a dinner box (demolished :pac:) and a six pack ( 4.5 left :pac:) on the way :D.

Overall a cracking race - couldn't fault one thing about it and hard to believe that it was the first running off this one. Will definitely have this in the calendar from here on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done.
    Now change your log title! :D

Well done J, nice racing, the form you've been in lately it was almost a racing certainty that you break 19.

Well done.

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement