Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thousands of these critters on my driveway tonight ... Flying Ants

• 21-07-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭

Walking up the driveway tonight I noticed a few small things moving around my feet. When I actually stopped and looked more closely, I noticed there were hundreds if not thousands of them over a large area.

Not sure what type of flies they are, but they weren't doing any flying, just a lot of running around, not being annoyed by my presence at all.

So anyone able to supply any more info? Its been a strange day, must have been the heat, as I have another thread with another little thing to identify:eek:

http://s973.photobucket.com/user/sok40/media/Light%20Switch/fly_zpseefe3b0c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Little Squares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Flying ant day? Hard to judge the scale from the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

flying ants

gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Billions-flying-ants-swarm-Britain-warm-weather/story-21657322-detail/story.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are tiny, if you weren't looking down you wouldn't even notice them there.

I was going to ask "are these ants" in my post, but didn't think ants came with wings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

NIMAN wrote: »

I was going to ask "are these ants" in my post, but didn't think ants came with wings!

The hint is in the name,
    flying ants

• Advertisement

I get that now, but never knew there was such a thing, until now.

Every day's a school day, eh.

:)
    Happens most years as far as I recal

Someone mentioned the rain, thinking about it now I think their appearance does precipitate precipitation or visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Does anyone know much about these millions of fly ants that are around all the time like this time of year?

What spieces are they? Someone said they were mating this time of year anybody know much??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cork City was absolutely covered in them last night, seemed bigger than ants to me.

Here's the link posted above again: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Billions-flying-ants-swarm-Britain-warm-weather/story-21657322-detail/story.html

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cork City was absolutely covered in them last night, seemed bigger than ants to me.

Here's the link posted above again: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Billions-flying-ants-swarm-Britain-warm-weather/story-21657322-detail/story.html

Im wondering if the insect being mentioned initially is the same one as the flying ant. The image initially suggest the same but its difficult to determine the size from that.
    Id always thought they were a specific ant, but it seems they are just black ants that sprout wings for the mating period, reading it up here in the link provided.

Id always thought they were a bigger different ant than just ordinary black ants, maybe its because we only see the workers?? but it seems its the same.

• Advertisement

Just for information purposes, I am in Inishowen in North Donegal.

A beautiful part of the country :-)

A beautiful part of the country :-)

Advertisement