Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-made dumplings

Options
  • 23-07-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where you can buy pre-made asian dumplings and just reheat/cook them at home?
    Second best option would be dumpling skins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

You can get them in the Asian market on Drury St. In the fridges down the back; loads of different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Oriental emporium at the back of Jervis street shopping center has them, as well as the skins.
    "Tonys" in Bray has both if you are based south-side, the missus does all her shopping there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - If you let us know roughly where you are in Ireland we can move this thread to the relevant Regional forum so you can get advice specifically for your locality.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Supercell wrote: »
    Oriental emporium at the back of Jervis street shopping center has them, as well as the skins.
    "Tonys" in Bray has both if you are based south-side, the missus does all her shopping there.
    I go to Tony's a lot, and I've often looked in the freezers there and been tempted by some of the things in them, especially the dumplings but have never dared to :) Any suggestions / recommendations as to what to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

You can also try polish dumplings with different fillings - most popular - cottage cheese, meat, cabbage, potato, and sweet with fruits. Easy to find in every one polish shop in freezers, or in Tesco in fridges (polish food section) - ready to go, just put them for 3min in to boiling water or on hot pan with little bit of oil. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I go to Tony's a lot, and I've often looked in the freezers there and been tempted by some of the things in them, especially the dumplings but have never dared to :) Any suggestions / recommendations as to what to get?

Sure, heres a couple we have in the freezer that we like at the moment.

The first one are Baozi which you find everywhere in China, Chinese don't do cold food and often eat these as snacks or as breakfast on the go (street sellers everywhere in the morning selling these).

315772.jpg

These are typical dumplings you get in Chinese restaurant. Usually served with light soy sauce (sometimes with crushed garlic inside) and chili sauce. If you do get the Chilli sauce read the label carefully, the Guilin bottle looks the same (except has Guilin in the title) and will blow your mouth off and isn't suitable to dip dumplings in, at least i've never been served them over there with a sauce like that.

315773.jpg

Good dipping sauce :-

315774.jpg

Enjoy!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Great, thanks! I already have that sauce I think. How do you prepare them, steaming? Do you have to thaw them first?

This is how my wife does the dumplings:-
    Dumplings are boiled (three times) from frozen in a particular way otherwise they fall apart.
    You boil them, pour out about a cup of water and pour in a cold cup, bring to the boil again, repeat until you have brought to the boil three times.

Baozi are steamed from frozen, you can microwave them but the crust get very dry which isnt at all like how they are served authentically. I guess you could try heating in a microwave with water in there, but I've never tried that. Our rice cooker has a steam tray attachment which we do the baozi in. I imagine a colander or potato steamer would be fine too, they can stick to metal during steaming so i'd recommend either doing on grease-proof paper or maybe a bit of oil on the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For the microwaving 'crust' problem - place a glass of water in with the dumplings when you zap them. (This also helps keep pizza moist when reheated in a microwave.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The char siu dumplings from Asia Market are lovely, they're chilled, not frozen and I steam them, just line the steamer with a bit of baking paper or something.

*Doozer now wants to drive to town and get dumplings...mmmmmm....*

• Advertisement

The Oriental Emporium at the back of Jervis Shopping center does fresh hot baozi which are awesome, they have a list on the counter in english and chinese so you dont feel like mong pointing and not knowing the name (like me in China)! Everytime we are in town we get some there, they are exactly the same as ones in China.

They also have fried dumplings there too which are tasty but waist expanding wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Starrgrrl

For anyone in the carlow/kildare area farm to fork have a good supply of Asian products including frozen dumplings. I was delighted when I found them because I usually have to go to dublin when I need to restock!

Advertisement