Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Stage 1: People, Places, Regions

Options
  • 21-08-2014 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Has anyone completed this module?

I was good at Geography, especially human geography and like how this module sounds judging by the descriptor. Is It a good option for an elective?
    Will I be able to get a high grade?

Thank you :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

The 'Earth, Environment and Society' and 'Earth and Humanity' were good stage 1 electives when I did them. I got As in both. They were geology so if you're interested in geography electives you should look in the geology section also.

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_module?p_subj=GEOL&p_crse=10040&p_term_code=201400&p_return_url=&p_website_mode=CONTINUING&p_semester=2

http://tinyurl.com/oo3pj56

The main difference is the assessment strategy in each. One has a midterm exam worth roughly half the overall grade at the end of the first section of the course and the other has a final worth 75% and a 25% midterm. Geology exams all have negative marking at about 33.33% so that's something you need to watch. Both were good modules and you'll find that about half of the people there are taking it as an elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Heikki wrote: »
    Has anyone completed this module?

I was good at Geography, especially human geography and like how this module sounds judging by the descriptor. Is It a good option for an elective?
    Will I be able to get a high grade?

Thank you :P

It's one of Dieters modules - if you do it he'll like headings in his essays. MCQ's may come with negative marking (but as its a year 1 module, maybe not). He used to do it with Veronica but I doubt the content has changed much - handy enough but Dieter can wreak your head a bit.

I did the Earth and Humanity one Victoria mentioned and it was handy. Got an A in it with little study. Lectures can be a bit boring depending on who you have. When a friend did it the first 4 lectures were delivered by computer but that was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Does anyone know would the mcqs have negative marking for this module(GEOG10100)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy279

Agree with what Maldesu said.
    I took Earth and Humanity in semester 2 last year. The lecturer also didn't use negative marking in both the midterm and final exams.

Advertisement