Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Electro dead?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Is Electro dead? I miss the likes of Fake Blood, Bloody Beetroots, Crookers, Soulwax, generally anything Ed Banger etc.

But all now adays it's EDM everywhere and Deep House.. there is a resurgence of Techno and Prog House, but this is really getting on my tits, I miss fun funky house music... that you don't have to be off your rocker to enjoy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Thank God cos they're all sh1te.

Also, none of those acts are actually electro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If that was electro then the real electro died in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

ianuss wrote: »
    Thank God cos they're all sh1te.

Also, none of those acts are actually electro.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If that was electro then the real electro died in the early 90s.

Apologies to the music snobs around, It was a general question , I gave examples to the type of music, I only ever knew it as what people described back in 2009 as 'electro'

If it's not what you consider 'electro' then fine, no need to be such a knob about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

It's the internet, it's full of knobs and I was only filling the void, nothing personal.

In years gone by a post like yours would have led to pages and pages of lolz. Sad as it is, I miss those days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 shakeitout

pop into the button factory on the 26 th September for Satoshi Tomiie if your looking for a good night out mate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Electro's dead, yeah. I remember that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Don't get stroppy when people call you uo over your use of "electro." It's a genre of music dating back to the 80s. The term you're looking for is "electro-house." The older one got there first, show it a little respect.

As for the scene and the music to which you're referring, it died about 5 years ago. I think a lot of people who were 16-21 when it was big will remember it fondly, myself included. It was part of my coming of age and it'll always have a little place in my heart. I'd even listen to the odd tune at times; Oi Oi Oi is a bit of a classic for me. But the whole thing really was a bit of a gimmick and it wasn't built for longevity. Do you really want more of the same from the Bloody Beetroots in the year 2014? And Crookers, seriously man? Fidget house was so awful I'm convinced that it was all an elaborate joke. I'm genuinely surprised that someone's pining over its demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Don't get stroppy when people call you uo over your use of "electro." It's a genre of music dating back to the 80s. The term you're looking for is "electro-house." The older one got there first, show it a little respect.

As for the scene and the music to which you're referring, it died about 5 years ago. I think a lot of people who were 16-21 when it was big will remember it fondly, myself included. It was part of my coming of age and it'll always have a little place in my heart. I'd even listen to the odd tune at times; Oi Oi Oi is a bit of a classic for me. But the whole thing really was a bit of a gimmick and it wasn't built for longevity. Do you really want more of the same from the Bloody Beetroots in the year 2014? And Crookers, seriously man? Fidget house was so awful I'm convinced that it was all an elaborate joke. I'm genuinely surprised that someone's pining over its demise.

Okay well apologise for not giving electro enough respect. I personally don't like genre-snobbery but if it's such a big deal that's fine, I didn't mean to refer to it as solely electro. I wikipedia'd before posting and that's what most of the acts where under on their page.

I would have been about 16 when the music came out and it was just dying out by the time I start going to nightclubs or whatever, I'd probably be in the same boat as yourself though, coming of age sort of music where, a stepping stone to some of the more mature progressive dance type music and techno that I'd listen to today.

As you said it's always had a little place in your heart, just like mine. It's nostalgic and I wouldn't mind getting to see some of the acts come back to a festival to mix it up. I guess I made the comments In the light of Electric Picnic coming up and comparing it to a line up of 2/3 years ago it just seems some of the dance acts are just among the usual (within reason).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I miss the likes of Fake Blood, Bloody Beetroots, . that you don't have to be off your rocker to enjoy

have you been to a bloody beetroots gig, not one dude in the place does have a top on.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Fidget house was so awful I'm convinced that it was all an elaborate joke. .

Fidget house actually was a joke made up by Jesse Rose (and maybe Switch) I believe when quizzed as to the genre of music he was making.

Some of the tunes from that era were great though the likes of Jupiter Rooms, pretty much all of the Switch remixes, Waters of Nazareth, started to go downhill i reckon after the third ed banger records compilation whenever that was.

Advertisement