Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theory of consciousness

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

In terms of security and protecting the paper, I would think about two options.

The first would be to only ever send a copy as a locked pdf or better still as a scanned pdf so as chunks of your text wont be easily plagiarized. When I was a student, I have seen students copy and paste big chunks of other peoples work (and essays on line) in a hurry to complete essays. Could a problem occur in the future if the plagiarizer copies some of your work and is the first to use 'Turnitin'?

A second possibility would be that you turn in your finished work to 'Turnitin' and keep a copy of the result. This would prove that your work was original as suggested below.
    http://www.gcu.edu/Academics/Academic-Integrity/About-Turnitin/Turnitin-FAQs.php

However, take the above as a suggestion and possibly inquire further as I have only limited experience of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

PS. I see 'Turnitin' have a link to a service called 'iThenticate'. It costs 50 dollars for a single paper up to 25,000 words. But whether this is necessary or not, I dont know.
    http://www.ithenticate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Joe1919 wrote: »
    In terms of security and protecting the paper, I would think about two options.

The first would be to only ever send a copy as a locked pdf or better still as a scanned pdf so as chunks of your text wont be easily plagiarized. When I was a student, I have seen students copy and paste big chunks of other peoples work (and essays on line) in a hurry to complete essays. Could a problem occur in the future if the plagiarizer copies some of your work and is the first to use 'Turnitin'?

A second possibility would be that you turn in your finished work to 'Turnitin' and keep a copy of the result. This would prove that your work was original.

Thanks for that (numeral) Joe. ;)

I read your post a couple of days ago, but have been mad busy- long work hours over the weekend, a funeral, studying a thesis on heuristics; ya know- the usual weekend stuff.

Anyway, I've waited this long: I might as well tidy the paper up, and change a few bits around before submitting it to a peer-reviewed journal. The synopsis of the book upon which the paper it is based got a favourable review, so I suppose that indicates it won't be laughed at if I submitted it. It's a pity no-one seems to know any academics in philosophy that might enjoy getting their teeth into some juicy philosophy of mind theorization who could then give me some pointers on said tidying up. Another factor is advice on the correct journal to submit it to, as there are a lot of factors to consider.

Thanks again,

And in the meantime, if anyone knows anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Hey I read some of the posts but not all of them.
    I don't really want to get into a debate around the ideas of your paper as the ideas are not important but more how original the ideas are.

But I will tell you some of the things I was told at Uni when getting something published.

1. You are at a slight disadvantage as this is a bit of a club of who do you know, you get someone who is perhaps an expert in a field to support your argument then you are on your way.

2. Probably the biggest and the harderst element is around how original your ideas are.
    I read some of the ideas in the synopsis and I am no expert but I know the subject matter to be fairly well talked about and written about, Antonio Damasio has written and talked on the subject matter in great detail.
    Like a lot of people you may have come up with the ideas in your paper yourself but you may or may not have been the first to document them or publish them. (This is the hardest part)

Universities will not be interested in something that has been churned out before, it will need to challenge existing theories and not be similar to per-existing challenges.

Generally if you publish something that is too similar to something someone else published then it can be embarrassing for the university no matter how obscure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement