Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MF 240 fuel filter change

• 21-08-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

When changing the fuel filters, are both to be changed at the same time and are both the same part number?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Ten Pin wrote: »
    When changing the fuel filters, are both to be changed at the same time and are both the same part number?

Change both and i dont think they'll be the same, generally when there's 2 filters one is for dirt and the other is a water separator.

One probably has a little plastic tap on the bottom? If so thats the water seperator, idea being you can open it periodically to let out any water, rarely done though as a lot of the time the little tap wont reseal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I’ve to bleed the lines aswell, I’ve slackened off the nuts on the first two injectors but the third (the one closest the driver) looks well nigh impossible to open with a standard shaped spanner, I can get the spanner on it but no room to turn it from any angle with the injector line feeding it in the way below it and the return line above it. Anyone got a way of getting at it without dismantling the fuel tank or will the first two injectors be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Unlikely to need to open pipes to all injectors, just prime the system as well as you can with the hand pump then crank the engine over if it tries to fire prime another bit, and then crank again it should fire then let run for a minute or so then turn off and tighten all connections start again and make sure there is no leak

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

Just to confirm the procedure for bleeding ,new filters on ,turn on tap under tank ,there is uaually a bleed bolt on top of second filter from tank which used to be about 15mm spanner get flow to there then close now loosen the 2 small 8mm bleed screws on injector pump ,one on the round and one on the rectangular top . pump lift pump till diesel comes out well ,shut the lower one pump again ,shut top one and she should start ,one injector pipe loosened is enough and can help. if no start bleed again only at injector pump.
    if you havn't put filters on yet check there is a good flow from tank as a small gause on tap in the tank can get blocked and cause grief also there is a gause under the cap on the hand lift pump that gets dirty ,gentle tightening this as aluminium threads are soft .sorry for being long winded but I hope tis clear and some help to you or someone bleeding a diesel

SAFETY don't get the high pressure spray at injector on your skin it can penetrate

Generally just need to slack the longest injector pipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

I agree ZR 105 are the rest of my instructions clear and correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

no harm to clean the gauze in the lift/primer pump too

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭eric prydz

valtraman wrote: »
    Just to confirm the procedure for bleeding ,new filters on ,turn on tap under tank ,there is uaually a bleed bolt on top of second filter from tank which used to be about 15mm spanner get flow to there then close now loosen the 2 small 8mm bleed screws on injector pump ,one on the round and one on the rectangular top . pump lift pump till diesel comes out well ,shut the lower one pump again ,shut top one and she should start ,one injector pipe loosened is enough and can help. if no start bleed again only at injector pump.
    if you havn't put filters on yet check there is a good flow from tank as a small gause on tap in the tank can get blocked and cause grief also there is a gause under the cap on the hand lift pump that gets dirty ,gentle tightening this as aluminium threads are soft .sorry for being long winded but I hope tis clear and some help to you or someone bleeding a diesel

SAFETY don't get the high pressure spray at injector on your skin it can penetrate

Yes I do all the above aswell also op be careful not to over tighten the filter bowls when you put them back on as they are burst easily
    Zr105 wrote: »
    Generally just need to slack the longest injector pipe!

I generally open the one that's handiest to get in at

valtraman wrote: »
    I agree ZR 105 are the rest of my instructions clear and correct

Yeah sounds spot on, or at least sounds the spot on for the 50hx which is more or less identical Perkins set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thanks for all the tips.

The handle was already gone (broke) off the lift pump. The following procedure for bleeding the lines might be useful to someone else in the same situation:

Close the tank tap and connect a union to the blanked port on the primary filter housing. Then attach a hose to the union and the other end to an inverted plastic bottle half full of diesel (filtered) with a hole in the end to insert an air gun as a “pump”. Then bleed all the ports already mentioned using the air gun to “push” diesel through the lines (don’t use full air pressure as this may force extra air in defeating the purpose), replace the union with the original blank, open tank tap and bleed primary housing (at the blank port) and lift pump outlet (by gravity). Start engine, stop after minute, tighten injectors, start engine again.

Are broken handles on the lift pump a common problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Ten Pin wrote: »

Are broken handles on the lift pump a common problem?

Yes,

About €20 for a new pump,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think he just 'strains the spuds'

Don't think he's fitted with a filter as such

Advertisement