Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed! Dinosaur Exhibitions...

Options
  • 17-08-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi, would anyone here know of anywhere in ireland with any sort of reasonable dinosaur exhibition? My son is dinosaur mad and I had planned on taking him to the natural history museum this week, but after a bit of research I've discovered they don't have any dinosaurs fossils, nothing outside of the souvenir ship anyway, anyone confirm this is true? I then found the dinocafe in cork but that seems to have closed down? Is it worth the trip to the exhibition in Belfast? He is only five but scarily knowledgeable about it all so would love to bring him somewhere, he wants to be a "palentogissssst" when he grows up ;) any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I have worn out google at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dinocafe in Castletownroche is closed? That is a shame. The displays were decent rather than fantastic, but the guys working there made it a real treat for kids. Brought my nephew there 4 or 5 years back and he loved it.

Not sure what is on in Belfast right now, but if the Ulster Museum is doing another dino exhibition like the one it did in 2012 (or maybe 2011?) then it would be well worth going to. They had some really good models on display the last time, and was the kind of exhibition that stays in a kid's imagination for years afterwards.

Not sure if there is anything of note in Dublin now, but am sure some of the other guys on here would be able to give you a more accurate take on what is or is not in Dublin.

Edit: the Belfast exhibition I was at was in 2012.

Here is a link to a BBC page that contains pics of some of the models that would have been on display back then

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-18116364

If it is back again, then do not hesitate to go. Your little guy will be talking about it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

There's a quirky little museum outside of Dingle, in Ventry which has an extremely impressive wooly mammoth skull. We've been there a few times when kids were younger as my son was also dinosaur mad.
    Google mammoth skull Dingle and you will see images as well as the following link:http://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/celtic-prehistoric-museum/13166
    It's a good drive outside of Dingle. Keep going till you find it. It's a quirky little place!
    Also while you are in Kerry, there are fossilised footprints on Valentia island. I missed out on this trip so can't feedback, link:
    http://www.activeme.ie/guides/attractions-2/tetrapod-fossilised-tracks-valentia-island-kerry/

There's plenty other stuff to do in both places too if you want more than a day trip not necessasrily dinosaur related though.

Just thought of something else, on your way to Valentina stop at kells bay gardens. Fabulous for a wander, but they have some giant wooden(?) Dinosaur sculptures. I know I've seen these but can't remember how big etc?
    Link:http://www.kellsgardens.ie/visit-the-gardens

If you ever get a chance go visit the natural history museum in London. I think entry is free but it will fulfill and dino kids dream. I know that's an expensive trip, just throwing it in here as one the the future.

Finally don't know if your son into DVD/TV there's a great series made years ago called Prehistoric Park where intrepid explorer Nigel Marvin travels back through a time portal to prehistoric times. He's building a prehistoric park in our time and brings back various animals. It's filmed like a documentary so they have a vet etc looking after the animals in this age etc. It's brilliant. DVDs were well worn in this house a few years ago now. Maybe one for the Santa list if you don't have them already. Available from the usual online DVD/music outlets.

That's all I can think of for now. Took a nice little trip down memory lane there. Thank you. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Thanks you do much for the responses! I actually didn't realise the Belfast exhibition was two years ago, so that's obviously out, London would be amazing, someday hopefully. We will defiantly head down to Dingle and also check out the dvd you've mentioned. I normally just you tube the BBC documentaries for him which he loves, but a DVD would be so much better.
    He's starting school this week so we would have to wait until the October break now anyway. I've kept him happy in the mean time - school shoes are dinosoles and school bag is dinogear. :) Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That Belfast exhibit looked awesome, way better than the one we got in The Ambo - waste of €10 ¬_¬

Advertisement