Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How genes from one organisms are

• 16-08-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

How does one transfer specific genes in say a plant into the genome of a bacteria step by step?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Furez wrote: »

Thanks but that doesn't fully answer my question I mean how do you identify and isolate a desired gene(s) in a plant then amplyfy it and so on till you can transplant it into a bacterium. I ask because this has already been done with GM bacteria that can produce sugar, spider silk and rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Yeah, that was a lazy answer. Google Isolation, Amplification and Transfer of genes. That is a lazy answer too.
    Maybe someone else knows the direct answer to your question. I think its amazing what can be done with microbes.

Biotech

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can chop the donors DNA into random fragments and then incorporate them into the hosts randomly and hope for the best,

then you test for the desired product - this is a lot easier if you something needed for growth

next step up would be to use a plasmid that already has a testable gene, like production of an essential amino acid that you can withhold, only the organisms that receive the plasmid can grow , and you'd hope that the plasmid would carry the right DNA

now we know the sequence of plasmids and restrictive enzymes can cut them at specific sequences leaving "sticky" ends and we know the alphabet of DNA even if we don't understand all of the language. so for simple proteins we can "print" the DNA sequence for and include some sticky ends to make it easy to incorporate into the plasmids.

Advertisement