Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hair products is too many?

Options
  • 10-08-2014 9:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive started getting highlights in my hair and it's now very long and getting quite blonde so you can imagine how much effort Im trying to put into caring for it now.
    I'm after building up a collection of different products, shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, detanglers, lightening sprays, smoothening creams, heat sprays, volumising mooses, oils etc etc

Just wondering though... How much product should really be going into my hair while/after I wash it.. Im conscious of not over loading it with product and turning it into a grease ball but I find it hard to choose certain products over one another..
    Like is it ok to use shampoo, conditioner, detangler, moose and heat protectant all before blow drying my hair or is that too much? Or could I use a lightening spray or smoothening cream too?

Im not sure how coherent any of what I wrote is (sorry :o ) just new to this long, coloured hair lifestyle and Im paranoid that Ill lose half my hair if I dont care for it right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I've dyed blonde hair that is practically waist length. I use shampoo and conditioner and nothing else. Not because I am bothered about product overload just because I am lazy and I couldn't be bothered. My hair is in good shape considering.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I've dyed blonde hair that is practically waist length. I use shampoo and conditioner and nothing else. Not because I am bothered about product overload just because I am lazy and I couldn't be bothered. My hair is in good shape considering.

Thats actually really interesting to hear, mine would be about an inch or so shorter but I can definitely see a difference in split ends and dryness post colouring. Have you been colouring your hair long may I ask?
    Maybe Im really just being paranoid about it all.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I really think this will vary a lot between individuals.

I have long, fine (buts lot's of it), naturally dry, highlighted, slightly wavy hair. I usually use a shampoo and a masque. I've sometimes heard that you should finish off with a conditioner, but doing so seems to overcoat my hair. I only wash my hair every 2-3 days so don't get any buildup from the masques.

I have to use a styling product or my hair would just be a fluffy limp mess. I usually use a curl or volumising cream and finish of with a tiny drop of Pureology Precious Oil on the ends if they are getting frizzy as I blowdry. This is a silicone free oil. I find the ones with silicones just seem to overcoat and dry out my hair even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

deise_girl wrote: »
    Thats actually really interesting to hear, mine would be about an inch or so shorter but I can definitely see a difference in split ends and dryness post colouring. Have you been colouring your hair long may I ask?
    Maybe Im really just being paranoid about it all.. :o

Have been dying it for a good few years. Maybe it's because I have really straight and very oily hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

deise_girl wrote: »
    Ive started getting highlights in my hair and it's now very long and getting quite blonde so you can imagine how much effort Im trying to put into caring for it now.
    I'm after building up a collection of different products, shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, detanglers, lightening sprays, smoothening creams, heat sprays, volumising mooses, oils etc etc

Just wondering though... How much product should really be going into my hair while/after I wash it.. Im conscious of not over loading it with product and turning it into a grease ball but I find it hard to choose certain products over one another..
    Like is it ok to use shampoo, conditioner, detangler, moose and heat protectant all before blow drying my hair or is that too much? Or could I use a lightening spray or smoothening cream too?

Im not sure how coherent any of what I wrote is (sorry :o ) just new to this long, coloured hair lifestyle and Im paranoid that Ill lose half my hair if I dont care for it right!

I think all of the above products you mentioned are important to have depending on what you want to do to your hair. Eg masque once a week, mousse when you're curling or styling, detangler for when its knotty, smoothing cream for blow drying straight, heat protector for when you're using straightening irons/ curling tongs.

What oil do you have? That could be used in your hair before blow drying on a day to day basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Sorry everyone, didnt mean to take so long to reply to this again..
    Mods feel free to close, if its bordering into zombie thread territory.

I think its insanely interesting how few products people seem to get away with, and making me think Im just making a mountain out of things for myself :o
    Normally my routine is shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner or oil, some styling product(mousse, sea salt spray, lightening spray etc) and a heat protector (I nearly always blow dry my hair)

Trying to leave out the extra conditioning or styling step some days now just to see if there is a difference in how my hair feels, like if I notice a difference in build up or strength.

Thanks fr all your comments tho :)
    What oil do you have? That could be used in your hair before blow drying on a day to day basis.
    Just those cheap little tubes you get in Penneys! Like "Argan" oil or "keratin", even tho lord knows how much of the good stuff is actually in them..

Advertisement