Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonys place for sale

Options
  • 01-08-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

A J Martin place is for sale, I was meant to post it a few weeks back and forgot, mental reminder with all of these winners he’s been having. Smashing gallops (Rode up it a few times). I think I read somewhere that he had trouble with water a few years back and as a result the horses were sick.

http://goffscountry.com/en/property/for-sale/arodstown-stables-on-c3237-ha-c80-acres/316/?j=1

Any opinions on who might buy?

I heard Barry Connell is interested and that Alan Fleming would be running yard should he purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The talk is that Tony is looking to get a move closer to the Curragh, understandable if there is drainage issues at his yard, as I imagine a good site there would be ideal for racing.

I always thought he was just renting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

Thats some place he has there, wonder what price they are looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

A serious place with a jacuzzi too.

I reckon Tony will be buying the playboy mansion next, already equipped with a few fine fillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't be worth a lot . It's very basic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Can't be worth a lot . It's very basic
    Not really sure where you’re coming from. The 6f gallop is top quality I've ridden pieces of work at various locations such as Derravaragh, Skryne, leevalley, The old vic and the Beech. And Martins would be the best (Beech on a good day may be a little better, but depends on when tide was in etc)
    To build that place it would cost millions, you’d need to buy the farm, build 3 barns and tog them out, put in a tarmac road for 6f, then put down a gallop surface on top, put in a 2nd gallop, build a house etc
    It's by no way basic compared to AOB or Halfords place maybe, but its far in front of what most trainers use to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Is he under pressure to sell?,only ask because he done a piece for the RP on his runners for Galway a while back and basically said he didn't want to say to much about it but we are "where we are",maybe Im reading it wrongly between the lines but he did not seem to be explaining what was happening clearly and leaving it open to interpretation.
    Certainly cant be anything to do with having winners and successful gambles anyway.
    Was there a good few times years ago and it certainly looked liked it needed modernisation then.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

tipptom wrote: »
    Is he under pressure to sell?,only ask because he done a piece for the RP on his runners for Galway a while back and basically said he didn't want to say to much about it but we are "where we are",maybe Im reading it wrongly between the lines but he did not seem to be explaining what was happening clearly and leaving it open to interpretation.
    Certainly cant be anything to do with having winners and successful gambles anyway.
    Was there a good few times years ago and it certainly looked liked it needed modernisation then.

A few years back I heard he was in right bother. Most of his clients were big builders or syndicates made up of people associated with the building trade. He was left with a load of horses. Was supposed to have invested heavily in schemes abroad as well with some builder/owners that went to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

If i could afford to buy a horse i would have him with only one guy and that is Tony Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

See Jonathan Mullin in the RP today was saying Tony was starting in to the Galway under a "financial strain"and that he was not hiding behind the fact of the financial difficulty he was under.
    Must be under pressure to make a personal financial settlement or played around with investments to much with his developer owners previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Its the same case with most Irish trainers here in Ireland. They have struggled big time in recent years. New owners are down again last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Its the same case with most Irish trainers here in Ireland. They have struggled big time in recent years. New owners are down again last year.

I can't find the report for 2013, but if anyone's interested, here's the HRI Annual Report for 2012: link. That said, I do remember an article in the Irish Field where it reported that the number of horses in training had decreased, the number of owners had decreased, as had the number of trainers and QRs holding licences, the latter of which was at its lowest for quite a few. Also, for anyone who's interested, the number of hunters certs was down, with fewer horses running in point-to-points,

convert wrote: »
    I can't find the report for 2013, but if anyone's interested, here's the HRI Annual Report for 2012: link. That said, I do remember an article in the Irish Field where it reported that the number of horses in training had decreased, the number of owners had decreased, as had the number of trainers and QRs holding licences, the latter of which was at its lowest for quite a few. Also, for anyone who's interested, the number of hunters certs was down, with fewer horses running in point-to-points,

Ill try and find the 2013 report and post it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Ill try and find the 2013 report and post it

Cheers -at work so can't spend too much time looking for it.

convert wrote: »
    Cheers -at work so can't spend too much time looking for it.

There was an interesting interview with Brian Kavanagh by Robert Hall during Galway. Worth a listen and should still be on RTE player. Robert didnt go easy on him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

This may be what you are looking for http://www.goracing.ie/HRI/Resource-Centre/Publications/

link?

Im not sure which day of Galway it was TBH. Maybe somebody remembers it and can advise on what day it was

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Im not sure which day of Galway it was TBH. Maybe somebody remembers it and can advise on what day it was

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10308779/

Interview begins at 59m15sec

Advertisement