Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Manu out of the World Cup to allow a stress fracture to his right foot to heal. :( Argentina's chances just took a major nosedive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Congratulations to butters for having the 1000th post of the thread. Good to see we're growing our number of regular posters. There's going to be a bit of lull between now and the season starting but hopefully we can keep getting better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

buyer95 wrote: »
    Good spot, thankfully I have Eurosport so I'm sorted. Looking forward to this though. All indications at the moment are that Derrick Rose will play, looking forward to seeing how that goes, and hoping he recaptures his old form. The inevitable USA v Spain game will be very good this year too. With Love and Aldridge pulling out and Blake going down the US are looking weak in the frontcourt.

Spain on the other hand have the Gasols and Ibaka here so that will be very interesting. Davis I expect will be the starting centre, but after that America are looking a little light on bigs. Sure you have Cousins, but do you trust him to play big minutes against Spain if Davis gets in foul trouble? The guy has never played a big game in all his professional career. I love Boogie, and think he is hugely talented but the doubt about him remains. Farried is more pf an energy guy who grabs a tonne of rebounds, but I don't think his game would translate that well to the international game. After that maybe Drumonnd, but he can be ruled out as an option on sight as the guy shoots something like 30% from the line. International coaches would just keep sending him to the line.

Just a heads up as regards BT Sports, who have exclusive rights to live games on these shores. The Setanta package which includes BT Sport is 1 euro for the month of August. Obviously theres is no NBA for months, but how Setanta work is that after the month is up and you ring up to cancel you will be offered a deal to stay on, probably at a tenner a month. The 1 euro deal means you don't have to pay the connection fee of 15 euro, and if you were to call them up and try and subscribe next October when the season starts again you will pay that and 20 euro a month. They only offer the 10 euro deal to existing customers. They show 2 premier league games a week also if that interest any. So if you are considering getting BT for the NBA next year tomorrow might be a good day to subscribe.

my issue would be if davis goes out can anyone on that team stop marc gaol in particular he destroyed them in there last meeting and spain could have won if he didn't foul out (i believe he was 8 of 8 or something like that) . that is there one hope

ultimately though whatever advantage spain have on the inside the us have it ten times over once you get outside the gasols.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

nerd69 wrote: »
    my issue would be if davis goes out can anyone on that team stop marc gaol in particular he destroyed them in there last meeting and spain could have won if he didn't foul out (i believe he was 8 of 8 or something like that) . that is there one hope

ultimately though whatever advantage spain have on the inside the us have it ten times over once you get outside the gasols.

It'll be interesting the US is weak on inside presence across the whole league.....maybe they should have included noah in the team or least invited him to camp......I hope boogie makes the team and has a good tournament though.....his interview with Simmons was great......or at least I though it was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

ec18 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting the US is weak on inside presence across the whole league.....maybe they should have included noah in the team or least invited him to camp......I hope boogie makes the team and has a good tournament though.....his interview with Simmons was great......or at least I though it was

i don't know i thought he was pretty bland/monotone and he didn't seem interesting at all to be honest. ya noah or griffin or anyone who can defend a 7 footer should have been brought with them offence is more or less irrelevant as they can destroy anyone outside but the big game is the spain game i think the roster should have been built around that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

ec18 wrote: »

Noah plays for France, and played at eurobasket 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Manu out of the World Cup to allow a stress fracture to his right foot to heal. :( Argentina's chances just took a major nosedive.
    I see Luis Scola is considering not playing for Argentina either. Apparently there is some issue between the basketball federation and the players there.

The US are deliberately going small for the World Cup so it'll be a run and gun team designed to beat Spain (in particular) up and down the floor. It could backfire on them but they seem to have a hex on this Spanish team in big games. that said, Spain had their chances in both of the last 2 Olympic Finals and the playing at home factor will add some impetus to them. That and the Yanks will likely not have seen a crowd like this ever before (save for those who were in Turkey 4 years ago). As they have so many players without World's experience, this could be very close, but they still (USA) have to be favourites.

Have tickets for the semi final round in Madrid, but couldn't get Final tickets :( Still undecided as to whether to go or not. I might just sell the semi tickets if I can't get at least 1 for the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

TWolves sign Mo Williams and to announce it, they put up a picture of him shooting a free throw with Cleveland with LeBron in the background on their Instagram a/c

Bt5xNcCCAAEJ5Dg.jpg

TWolves sign Mo Williams and to announce it, they put up a picture of him shooting a free throw with Cleveland with LeBron in the background on their Instagram a/c

Bt5xNcCCAAEJ5Dg.jpg

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Woj: San Antonio's Tony Parker has agreed to a three-year extension that could be worth as much as $45M, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lithuania at 1/1 to win Group D looks to be a nice bet IMO. Fellow teams in that group are Slovenia, Australia, South Korea, Angola and Mexico. Spain without the USA at 8/15 is a short price but one would have to expect it to come in.

There's a USA scrimmage, Blue vs White, on ESPN American at 9pm EST tonight so 2am our time if anyone's up late on a Friday night. I'm sure there will be a few streams available on the usual sites.
    USA Basketball today announced the rosters for the USA Blue and USA White teams that will square off in the USA Basketball Showcase that will be held Friday, 6 p.m. (PDT) at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The USA White Team, led by 2012 Olympic gold medalists Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder) and James Harden (Houston Rockets), will go against the USA Blue squad led by 2012 Olympic gold medalist Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), and 2010 World Championship gold medalists Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors) and Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls) …

The USA White Team, coach by USA assistant coach and Chicago Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau, includes Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Durant; Harden; Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Paul Millsap (Atlanta Hawks); Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks); and Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors).

The USA Blue Team, which will be led by USA assistant coach and New Orleans Pelicans head coach Monty Williams, includes Curry; Davis; DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks); Plumlee; Rose; and John Wall (Washington Wizards).

I for one need my basketball fix, so I will stay up for this. Should be a good scrimmage, these players are fighting for their places on the roster. Which of the Plumlees is playing tonight?

Derrick Rose tearing it up!

Rose can still get up..

Great to see Rose back on the court and still very quick. This World Cup could be great for him and the Bulls, to blow the cobwebs off before the season starts. That said however, he's an easy cut if needs be.

PG chucking.. Ugh..

I love the lack of in game stoppages, and lack of timeouts. Great stuff

Thibs coaching like he's in a playoff game. :D

Paully D wrote: »
    Thibs coaching like he's in a playoff game. :D

Its the only way he knows how! Great to see Rose's explosiveness still there. OT, just watching the rotations I don't understand why Irving seems to be ahead of Lillard right now.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed that.

It was scrappy as hell, but so many good players on the court at the same time and less than 45 minutes for a whole half of basketball due to so little stoppages added to it.

I think the NBA could really benefit from adapting some of the FIBA rules, namely the timeout rule, the length of game and maybe even the foul limit. Less opportunity for advertisements if the length of game is cut though so it would never happen!

EDIT - Lillard, what a shot! :eek:

Schumann STAT: Thibs D allowing less than a point per possession.

Thibs is going to celebrate this victory by locking himself in a darkened office and breaking down some Slovenia game tape.

Anybody else watching this USA showcase game on ESPN?
    You are allowed to read the thread..

George down, and it doesn't look good. Hate to see this. Replay was gruesome, Cisse-esque. Presume they wont finish the scrimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Horrible :(

Oh sh*t...

This looks bad.. Lost for words.

Reminds me of the Kevin Ware incident from last year.

Aw **** man, that's terrible. One of the worst injuries I've seen. :(:mad:

Best case scenario from that would appear to be a broken leg. Gutted. Good luck to him and hopefully it's not as serious as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

God really hope that's not as serious as it looked :( Pacers would be lost without him this season.

• Advertisement

Just seen it there. Feeling sick tbh. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement