Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME DC905 Secondary Teaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

In the pac account where you accept the programme is says: 'Please note that arising from new Teaching Council requirements all students on the PME programme will be required to obtain a second placement for year two of the programme'. Does this mean that we have to have two school placements for year 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chopper12

"In the pac account where you accept the programme is says: 'Please note that arising from new Teaching Council requirements all students on the PME programme will be required to obtain a second placement for year two of the programme'. Does this mean that we have to have two school placements for year 2?"

This means you have to have a placement in year one and a different placement in year two. It cannot be the same school in both years.

With regards to the course structure I was told it will be Tuesday and Wednesday in college 5-8pm and a third evening for online activities, probably Thursday evening. So this could be an online tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rio1985

Does anyone know when the School Placement needs to start? I have emailed the college but no reply back!!

Is anyone else a bit confused about the hours of teaching we are meant to do? I had it organised with my school to do 4 hours of teaching but then in the email i got it said that we should only be teaching between 2 - 3 in semester 1 and 3 - 4 in semester 2, which is a lot less than 4 hours. I don't see how you would make up 200 - 250 hours with this. Or am I picking it up all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Carton11 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit confused about the hours of teaching we are meant to do? I had it organised with my school to do 4 hours of teaching but then in the email i got it said that we should only be teaching between 2 - 3 in semester 1 and 3 - 4 in semester 2, which is a lot less than 4 hours. I don't see how you would make up 200 - 250 hours with this. Or am I picking it up all wrong?

Hey. I emailed them for confirmation as I was unsure as well. I was told it is 2-3 per week in semester 1 and then whatever the figure in semester 2.
    Included in the 200-250 are supervision hours as far as I was aware!
    That's the way I have it figured from what she said to me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Chopper12

kellief wrote: »
    Hey. I emailed them for confirmation as I was unsure as well. I was told it is 2-3 per week in semester 1 and then whatever the figure in semester 2.
    Included in the 200-250 are supervision hours as far as I was aware!
    That's the way I have it figured from what she said to me anyway!

Bit late them telling us now after some of us have organised our classes!

They only told us this week that the course will be 4-7pm instead of 5-8pm. I have had to email the school to make sure they have taken this into consideration and now I am supposed to tell the school that I cannot do the 6 classes a week they have organised for me!?

I think I will just ignore it and spread the hours out as they originally told us to do. I am not going to start annoying the school due to their ineptitude.

Chopper12 wrote: »
    Bit late them telling us now after some of us have organised our classes!

They only told us this week that the course will be 4-7pm instead of 5-8pm. I have had to email the school to make sure they have taken this into consideration and now I am supposed to tell the school that I cannot do the 6 classes a week they have organised for me!?

I think I will just ignore it and spread the hours out as they originally told us to do. I am not going to start annoying the school due to their ineptitude.

I understand that it is annoying, but they didn't say that the time would stay the same in any correspondence, not that I read anyway. If I missed it, whoops.

Hey, just wondering has anyone heard anything about the fees? I emailed them awhile back and they said to check back in May but still nothing! Would be good to know just to sort out finances and let work know how many hours I might need in september!

Did anyone else get the School Placement Handbook and course handbook in the post today?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

thread seems to have gone quiet for the last few weeds, were a month a way from first induction evening nearly .. fees for the year are €3755 I think!

• Advertisement

I can't believe it's a month away! Really looking forward to getting started!

yeah same as, busy enough year up ahead id say.. better have a read of them handbooks again! :D

I ordered one of the books online, got a good price on the book depository for it so decided why not. Yet to read it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ritz_85

Does anyone know how we can pay the fees?

I would imagine we will get an email about it. Most colleges have an online payment system.

I phoned up the fees office and was able to pay with credit card over the phone.

anybody know the story on when the have to be paid by or if they can be paid in 1-2 instalments. I know NUIG do a thing where you can pay half by end of October and half by end of January

60% of the fee must be paid by Registration and 40% by January.

Anybody get a welcome/registration letter from DCU in the last few days?

Yep, I received mine in the post today.

• Advertisement

Did everyone else get the registration letter? It's all very real now!

Can someone just clarify real quick the story with registration.. I know we have to register on the 19th / 20th and induction starts the 26th but what's the story RE fees and I'd cards.. I I misplaced that letter we got with our new student emails/ reg details.. A pm would be hugely appreciated..

Sending PM now tippy25

Cheers Kellie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rio1985

Did anyone notice when registering online that the module individual differences in human development was a core module? But this subject is not on the timetable.

whered you find a timetable? maybe cause its down as a semester 2 module?

Follow this link and log on: https://www4.dcu.ie/user/login?destination=/education_studies/sp_documents.shtml
    I also went and found more documents here under Current Students: https://www4.dcu.ie/education_studies/pme.shtml You may need to be logged on for this to work.

I spent ages printing off everything in the first link, but the second link has the correct documents we need.
    Some that are listed in the handbook aren't actually there, but you will find them in the first link.

So whats the impressions of the course now that inductions finished?

I don't really know yet! The work load seems to be pretty intense though already.

• Advertisement

hey, there is a facebook group set up, just so we can share opinions and ideas, just search: DCU PME 2014 - 2016.
    it wont let me paste the link

Advertisement