Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will be the consequences of the multimedia efforts of the IT and S/Indo on RTE?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I couldn't ever see myself paying for any of the main broadsheets if they go behind a paywall. I just don't see their content as essential enough to pay for compared to getting it for free. The other problem is I don't find many of the journos at the broadsheets to be credible, many have clear vested interests and I tend to view them as part of a problem rather than a solution.

In any case I believe that the next phase of online media will be the consolidation of news sites into one single monthly payment. So you might get access to four or five global papers like the NY Times, San Fran Chronicle, Sydney Morning Herald,etc packaged with one of the main Irish broadsheets. Now that would be something I'd consider paying for- quality content from a multitude of sources. But paying for mediocre content from one source isn't something I'm prepared to do.

I look forward to the day when I can have a sub to the IT or Indo alongside a few other titles like the Times, Guardian, NY Times, etc. That's something I'd be willing to pay for, the content produced by a single Irish media outfit is never likely to be in depth enough to entice people to pay for it and it alone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I couldn't ever see myself paying for any of the main broadsheets if they go behind a paywall. I just don't see their content as essential enough to pay for compared to getting it for free. The other problem is I don't find many of the journos at the broadsheets to be credible, many have clear vested interests and I tend to view them as part of a problem rather than a solution.

In any case I believe that the next phase of online media will be the consolidation of news sites into one single monthly payment. So you might get access to four or five global papers like the NY Times, San Fran Chronicle, Sydney Morning Herald,etc packaged with one of the main Irish broadsheets. Now that would be something I'd consider paying for- quality content from a multitude of sources. But paying for mediocre content from one source isn't something I'm prepared to do.

I look forward to the day when I can have a sub to the IT or Indo alongside a few other titles like the Times, Guardian, NY Times, etc. That's something I'd be willing to pay for, the content produced by a single Irish media outfit is never likely to be in depth enough to entice people to pay for it and it alone IMO.

I think we will start seeing Broadband providers providing free access to pay online publications in the same way libararies do.

Most likely ISPs should bundle some premium pay content

- Paywall Print
    - Paywall TV/Film (Netflix, NowTV etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Interesting as a min-n-match service, you would have to have perhaps a metered - 100 articles a month, or maybe the environment news from the Guardian, sport form the indo, business from the Times etc

Might get more punters into the subscription thinking. Also would allow newsbrands to subscribe to a 'second tier' subs model.

Equally, I like the idea of ISP's bundling subs into their package

At the end of the day it's about revenues for the parties involved - enough to make it viable.

IRE60 wrote: »
    Interesting as a min-n-match service, you would have to have perhaps a metered - 100 articles a month, or maybe the environment news from the Guardian, sport form the indo, business from the Times etc

Might get more punters into the subscription thinking. Also would allow newsbrands to subscribe to a 'second tier' subs model.

Equally, I like the idea of ISP's bundling subs into their package

At the end of the day it's about revenues for the parties involved - enough to make it viable.

Yeah there's all kinds of combinations media companies could offer customers if they bundled their content together as a sub. The payment to each organisation would also be pretty democratic- clicks show everything so the emphasis really becomes focused on quality content and (hopefully) some real investigative journalism.

Just another point about the Indos multimedia offering- I've noticed they seem to be tagging 30 second ads onto their video content. Sometime the video might be less than a minute long and they expect viewers to put up with a 30 second ad when the same video is most likely freely available in lots of places on the net. It's a head wrecker for me so now I just google the video title and watch it elsewhere.

Just another point about the Indos multimedia offering- I've noticed they seem to be tagging 30 second ads onto their video content. Sometime the video might be less than a minute long and they expect viewers to put up with a 30 second ad when the same video is most likely freely available in lots of places on the net. It's a head wrecker for me so now I just google the video title and watch it elsewhere.

I gave up watching any vids on their site because of that - get the suppliers to provide say 10's spots instead.

IRE60 wrote: »
    I gave up watching any vids on their site because of that - get the suppliers to provide say 10's spots instead.

Yeah I just won't hit play on a video on their site anymore. A 10 second ad I can live with but a full on 30 second ad produced for tv just so you can watch a minute of footage of some event which isn't all that newsworthy anyway is ridiculous. I really get the feeling that Indo just doesn't get online and how people expect content to be delivered. They know well that YouTube run ads with an opt out after 3 seconds so what on earth were they thinking in putting 30 seconds ad in with no opt out ? That's just gonna be a click on the X for me, everytime. If the content was essential viewing I might look at it differently but it's not, it's mostly just videos lifted from other places on the net and the Indo trying to piggy back some ad revenue on the strength of someone else's work. Which is ironic as AFAIR they took a dim view of the Journal.ie when it first set and criticised news consolidators in general for piggybacking and linking to the work of others.

Thats a really interesting take on things, by David Carr who is print at heart:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/business/media/riding-the-juggernaut-that-left-print-behind.html?ref=media&_r=0

Great article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

read this photo of a part of article by kevin rafter on journalism https://twitter.com/gavinsblog/status/495898921877917697

news paper editors making grand speeches about digital news, they can't even provide links in their stories to reports etc, but they still get feted.

you could say you should praise the effort they are making on this new multimedia stuff but it just highlight how stuck they still are in the main business textual news.

see here for another example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057184366

Advertisement