Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dish Alignment Dundalk

Options
  • 02-08-2014 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Have a "freeview" ;) box but I'm missing a few channels. I had problems in the past with missing channels but I moved the sky dish a bit and they came back on however they have gone off again and I've tried moving the dish but still no joy. I live in an apartment so the dish is on the balcony so no need to climb on roof or ladders etc.

Can anyone recommend someone that would re-align the dish relatively cheap? Got quoted €25/€30 which is a bit steep as I believe the dish is only slightly out of line and how easily accessible the dish is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Steep?
    Satellite meters, tools, vans, trade insurance don't grow on trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That price seems decent enough for a callout.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Have a "freeview" ;) box but I'm missing a few channels. I had problems in the past with missing channels but I moved the sky dish a bit and they came back on however they have gone off again and I've tried moving the dish but still no joy. I live in an apartment so the dish is on the balcony so no need to climb on roof or ladders etc.

Can anyone recommend someone that would re-align the dish relatively cheap? Got quoted €25/€30 which is a bit steep as I believe the dish is only slightly out of line and how easily accessible the dish is.

"freeview" is a UK terrestrial television service and is not received via a satellite dish.

€25/€30 seems reasonable for someone to properly realign your dish. If your not willing to pay that, maybe your box has a menu which shows signal strength & quality & if it does get someone to keep an eye on it while you move the dish. Be warned it could take a while but a quick Google search will give you a few tips that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

doney84 wrote: »
    "freeview" is a UK terrestrial television service and is not received via a satellite dish.

Pedant much? I'm going out on a limb here and presuming the OP meant free to air stations received by dish.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Pedant much? I'm going out on a limb here and presuming the OP meant free to air stations received by dish.

Didn't mean to come across that way, was just trying to provide info for the OP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I'd also wager,as the op referred to his box as "Freeview ;)" that he's using a c/s device.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

kbell wrote: »
    I'd also wager,as the op referred to his box as "Freeview ;)" that he's using a c/s device.

Aye your correct ;)

Aye your correct ;)

What channels are you missing ? If it's the HD channels, SKY have changed the encryption on these and they won't be coming back any time soon for people who use c/s.

Also have you checked if the frequency has changed on the channels your missing ? If you haven't checked, a simple retune should bring them back. kingofsat.net should help you find the frequencies you need.

If your missing all channels subscription & free to air then yeah dish would need to be realigned

doney84 wrote: »
    What channels are you missing ? If it's the HD channels, SKY have changed the encryption on these and they won't be coming back any time soon for people who use c/s.

Also have you checked if the frequency has changed on the channels your missing ? If you haven't checked, a simple retune should bring them back. kingofsat.net should help you find the frequencies you need.

If your missing all channels subscription & free to air then yeah dish would need to be realigned

I'm missing Coemdy Central (Comedy Central +1 works fine) At The Races, Racing Uk, LFC TV,Chelsea Tv, BT Sport 1 + 2 although the HD versions still work fine.

I'm missing Coemdy Central (Comedy Central +1 works fine) At The Races, Racing Uk, LFC TV,Chelsea Tv, BT Sport 1 + 2 although the HD versions still work fine.

Just checked those channels for you and none of them has changed frequency lately so it looks like your dish may need realigning or there is something in your apartment interfering with the signal (some cordless phones are known to do this)

As for BT Sports, yeah should have mentioned it in my last post but these are still clearing in HD. I think BT Sports 1 & 2 and RTE2 HD are the only non FTA HD channels still clearing since Sky made changes which effected the encryption of HD channels.

• Advertisement

I am moving on Saturday but the new house hasn't got a sky dish. I'm planning om taking my sky dish with me. Anyone know someone that would install the dish and align it for me? What would I expect to pay for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I am moving on Saturday but the new house hasn't got a sky dish. I'm planning om taking my sky dish with me. Anyone know someone that would install the dish and align it for me? What would I expect to pay for that?

About €70-80 I reckon. I'll PM you the details of someone who does that kind of work.

Advertisement