Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature ''dependent'' student with child

Options
  • 01-08-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation.

I am a 30 year old lone parent of a 10 year old boy and due to the rental market in the last two years I have no choice but to live in my family home. I work part-time and do not receive maintenance nor will I in the future.

I made a decision to return to education full time so I can progress in a career that will hopefully provide adequately for both myself and my child.

I was informed by SUSI on numerous occasions that due to the fact I have my own child that only my income would be taken into account for the student contribution grant even though I am living with my parents. Therefore based on my income I would be eligible to receive a grant for the registration fees.

I checked this information on a few different occasions with them and was reassured this was the case.

I applied to the CAO and have been offered a place in a competitive programme to get into and will be approved for the back to education allowance in September. I will continue to work part-time and will have to pay for childcare and all other costs for myself and my child.

SUSI have now informed me that because I live in the family home my parents income will be assessed for the registration fees grant purposes combined with my income. I feel this is grossly unfair as I have my own family to provide for yet they are assessing me on income that I do not have access to.

Even if I move out this year , ''to become independent'', I will be assessed on my parents income for the four years of the programme. Ie the change of circumstances will not be applicable on only my circumstances- they will still take my parents income into account.

My parents gross income is over the threshold therefore I will be liable to pay €3000 fees yearly. They will not take into account expenses which means their disposable income is quite low- only gross income will be taken into account.

These fees will be exceedingly difficult for me today as I am providing for myself and my child on an already low wage. To add insult to injury they told me if I defer my programme for a year and claim rent allowance that I will be entitled to the fees to be paid.

I pay towards the household expenses yet I can not prove this as I don't have any ''fixed'' utility in my own name. I have childcare, life assurance, car insurance etc in my own name but none of these will be suffice to prove independent residency. I did not plan on staying here for as long as I have had to therefore I have nothing ''official'' to prove independent living.

I feel this is very unfair and was wondering if anyone can offer me advise or any way to get around this. I don't want to sit around for another year, I want to start this and progress to a better future for myself and my child...

This will not be possible with the expense of these fees that I did not account for due to being misinformed by SUSI.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

From dealing with the disaster that is SUSI myself the only advice I can offer in your situation is to get onto your locsl TD and explain your situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

I can't believe at the age of 30 they are not treating you as a full adult.

At that age it should be irrelevant what money your parents are on.

Advertisement