Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to store photo files

Options
  • 22-07-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

What is the safest way to store digital photos. I have them on my pc and backed up to an external hard drive but its not probably not the safest way to keep them.There is about 150 gb of photos .Is flickr a good option for storing them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have any friends or family with portable HDs with ample room spare?
    borrow one of them and leave a copy of your files on it - so you have off-site storage in case of fire or theft at your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Is there any coud storage sites that you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unless you've hijacked the internet line going to google, cloud storage doesn't make sense for the huge capacity of files.

Depending on your internet connection, uploading 150gb of files could take 60 days+ of constant uploading. Even with UPC 200mb/10mb connection it'll take 36 hours. And you'll easily blow through your monthly allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Unless you've hijacked the internet line going to google, cloud storage doesn't make sense for the huge capacity of files.

Depending on your internet connection, uploading 150gb of files could take 60 days+ of constant uploading. Even with UPC 200mb/10mb connection it'll take 36 hours. And you'll easily blow through your monthly allowance.

Yes, but you'll only do that once and update incrementally from then on.

Google Drive goes up to 1TB for $9.99 pm, not sure what € price though. I find the app that syncs automatically can cause problems, so I only upload when I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I dont mind the initial upload as I will do it over a few wks and its is only a one off thing.With flickr there say there is free 1000gb of storage and syncs photos from ios .It seems perfect but Im wondering is it a bit too good to be true or am I missing something . It has a privacy setting but again Im not sure how "private" that makes the images . Has anyone else used it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

you can get 1TB of storage on OneDrive with a personal Office 365 subscription, which costs about 65 EUR annually. You also get to use Office across 5 clients.

scwazrh wrote: »
    I dont mind the initial upload as I will do it over a few wks and its is only a one off thing.With flickr there say there is free 1000gb of storage and syncs photos from ios .It seems perfect but Im wondering is it a bit too good to be true or am I missing something . It has a privacy setting but again Im not sure how "private" that makes the images . Has anyone else used it ?

I have a couple of private albums, no problems. The thing about Flickr is that it is a photo site, and not designed as a backup and this would make me a little nervous about any future changes to terms of service etc. Probably nothing to worry about, it's just me...

1TB free is hard to beat alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1TB free probably comes with zero guarantee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes, but you'll only do that once and update incrementally from then on.

Google Drive goes up to 1TB for $9.99 pm, not sure what € price though. I find the app that syncs automatically can cause problems, so I only upload when I need to.

Depends what incrementally means to you I suppose.

Recently shot my cousins wedding - had ~50gb of RAW files from that one day alone.

I have 1 pano landscape shot that's over 4gb (.PSB)

Personally I'd be in tears if I was trying to use cloud storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

scwazrh wrote: »
    What is the safest way to store digital photos. I have them on my pc and backed up to an external hard drive but its not probably not the safest way to keep them.There is about 150 gb of photos .Is flickr a good option for storing them?

flickr i would imagine would be a good option but I would also buy a hard disk and leave it at a friends/ relatives house you can get a 1 terabyte drive that is reasonable quality quiet cheaply now. or 40 dvds! :D

• Advertisement

Depends what incrementally means to you I suppose.

Recently shot my cousins wedding - had ~50gb of RAW files from that one day alone.

I have 1 pano landscape shot that's over 4gb (.PSB)

Personally I'd be in tears if I was trying to use cloud storage.

Good point. TBH I was assuming non-professional use in jpeg format.

...which reminds me, this knock the sh!te out of jpeg file sizes - http://www.jpegmini.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I use backblaze (http://www.backblaze.com/) unlimited storage and always monitoring for changes.
    It includes version control too.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

1TB free probably comes with zero guarantee though.

It's not 'free', it's part of the subscription bundle. So you are in fact a paying customer.

Codpeas wrote: »
    It's not 'free', it's part of the subscription bundle. So you are in fact a paying customer.

Flickr has 1TB free with every account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What did you end up going with OP?

What with Microsoft's new prices, €10 for 5 Office accounts and 1TB storage is pretty tempted.

I already bought Office 2013 but being able to use it on Mobile sounds like a great bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wavydave

Check out smugmug.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

monthly allowance ?

with Fibre ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I used to use 3 hard disks:

First - attached to my pc for my media.
    Second - a monthly backup, stored in my desk drawer.
    Third - a monthly backup, stored at work (in a seperate building).

Its a bit of hassle but you are pretty redundant and can lose only a months work ( as a non pro, thats very little work).

Now, I use zipcloud. comes with a little app that checks for changes in a directory and uploads them to zipcloud storage. I have 1TB for the next 2 years. Cost 150 dollars for 24 months, & their support is top notch. Worth it IMO for the convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I use LiveDrive. Modest annual fee, unlimited storage and they have a little desktop gizmo that automatically backs up chosen files for you. They have an app too, so you can view your files on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

the_monkey wrote: »
    monthly allowance ?

with Fibre ???

UPC says here http://www.upc.ie/terms/usage-policy/
    From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

that means an upload of 50gb only takes overnight on the top product, less than a weekend even on the cheapest option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

UPC is 10 megs up, and up to 200 down.

Advertisement