Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JS Chemistry Trinity

• 14-06-2014 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm not sure if anyone has been in my situation before but, unfortunately, I failed third year Chem and am not allowed to repeat the year. I absolutely hated the course, even though I am somewhat passionate about the subject. However, the material taught did not appeal to me in the slightest.
    My question is, could I, at this stage in the year, transfer over to a different course, given by my previous 2 years modules?
    I understand it would be a matter of starting from third year and having to pay full fees but I just want to get a degree in science and go into secondary school teaching. I made a poor choice regarding my third year option and would just like the chance to prove my abilities in a different field.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

In some cases, transferring course could mean starting from JF or SF. It's not always the case that you would be able to change into JS automatically, especially in Science where SF determines the moderatorship.

It depends on so many factors: is the course oversubscribed, do you have sufficient knowledge of the material (i.e. are any of your previous modules the same or similar), do you have the necessary grades/points, do the school/department allow people to transfer into the course, is the course a popular choice (neuro etc)...

I just finished JS Science too, and I know of a few people who transferred within Science JS moderatorships or from courses related to Science moderatorships into their desired JS course (these were mainly Physics related areas, so the courses were never oversubscribed and the material was shared).

Talk to your tutor regardless, they'll be able to help more than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ayne8zlwmhj314

Hey there, Julie. I am an upcoming JS Chemistry student (having just passed my SF exams) here's a list of all of the second round module choices for those of us who failed our SF exams and therefore haven't filled up yet, I'd say they're your best option if you get onto the science course office.

Biochemistry
    Chemistry
    Environmental Sciences
    Functional Biology
    Geography
    Geology
    Microbiology
    Physics
    Physics & Astrophysics
    Plant Sciences

Advertisement