Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Grad Dip in Psychology same as degree?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

I see a lot of jobs in research and social which require a psychology degree or equivalent, so would a post grad dip be deemed equivalent? (Sorry if this was asked before but if so please point me in the general direction of the thread).

Thanks,
    Matt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The equivalent is the Conversion diploma. Lots of threads on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cornelius the 3rd

Hi Julius,

Thanks for reply, Ive browsed the threads and none answer my question.

I probably should have added some more info originally so will do so now;

- I am already studying for my Msc in psychology through derby uni. I have completed the one year conversion course and I am now studying for the post grad diploma (the way it works is basically 1 year conversion course (uni certificate) leads onto 1 year diploma which leads onto a one year Masters. So after each stage you get a higher qualification, and can exit at any of the stages with this qualification)

- I plan on completing the masters but I wish to work before doing so if possible, so on attaining the post graduate diploma will I be eligible for jobs which require "psychology degree or equivalent"?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

Yes you will. The PGDip is an equivalent qualification to a Psychology degree. Also when people discuss a conversion course they are referring to the HDip (Ireland) or PGDip (UK). The one year certificate is not a conversion course.

Also, I'd be wary of doing the MSc unless it's a specific one. A lot of those courses have an added on MSc but it's just too broad i.e. the title is just MSc in Psychology. It may be more expensive and time consuming but you are better off getting a masters in something more specific like applied psychology, forensic psychology, research methods etc. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I can try elaborate if it isn't.

Thanks for the clarification Humria. Yes that makes sense I am still debating with myself whether to do the Masters or exit with the Dip but if the Dip is recognised as equivalent to a degree than Im leaning towards the latter.

The main reason Im doing the course is to get my foot in the vast workplace of social work. A degree or equivalent is a passport to many youth & community work positions. However in Switzerland (which is a place I'd like to work) similar jobs require a masters in psychology and while its not applied it also gives you a bit of an advantage when going for some positions and further education. Im not sure if this is also the case in other countries but from what I can see its specific to switzerland.

If anyone's wondering why I didn't just do a social work Masters if I'm interested in social work is because my interest in working with people is the psychological aspect. Two or 3 years of studying social policy would bore the hell out of me. Once I can get my foot in the door thats the main thing and I'll see what happens from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 longinthetooth

Hi Cornelius
    I see you're doing the Psych Dip with Derby Uni. How are you finding it?
    I was planning on doing the full degree with Open University as I couldn't find any distance learning conversion courses, but I've just recently come across Derby, and would love to get some feedback on it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Longinthetooth,

So far Ive finished the one year certificate and just finished one term of the diploma. My experience so far is largely positive. If you havent got 60 credits of psychology from your initial degree then you have to first do the cert. I consists of 3 modules generally you should allocate about 20 hours per week per module. So you can do it part time one module per term and finish in a year and the most you are allowed do is 2 per term. The diploma consists of 6 modules so that will take you 1 year full or 2 years part time. The masters is then basically a thesis over the course of a year. They have a bit of a strange system though in that if you want to go on to the masters you dont actually get awarded with the diploma.

There is an excellent online learning platform, theres usually about 10-15 in each 'class' and each class has a teacher. You get weekly notes through pdfs, audios and videos and weekly assignments to do. The assignments are posted online and you can debate or add your own opinion to other peoples work. The assignments aren't mandatory but you do have to show that you are 'engaged' on the platform at least every now and then. It jus depends how much time you have or want to spend on it really, on some modules Ive done all the assignments, on others Ive just done a few. You will usually have two essays that you have to do for the end of each term and that is solely what you will be graded on. There are also what they call student cafes, which are just like students forums that you get to know other students or debate about various topics.

One negative Ive found is that theres a huge gulf in the teaching quality. Some are excelllent but others are really poor. Ive had a few of both, when you do the weekly assignments your really looking for feedback on your work so you can develop your essay writing and some of my tutors have given excellent constructive feedback on each students work whereas others will just post something very generic and completely unconstructive like "well done everyone.. interesting posts". They will literally just post something like that once every week (talk about the easiest job in the world).

I know that there are good and bad teachers in every institution but the gulf is so vast. Im hoping that that was just due to it being the certificate and they just get some tutors to fill the gaps. Judging on the diploma alone so far the teaching quality does appear to be more consistant. In saying that even if you get a bad tutor its not an insurmountable obstacle, you can usually just email other tutors or course leaders and ask them extra questions if you need to. Or do what some do and just crash the good classes! Personally its never been an issue for me, I generally work well on my own and like I say if I really need a question answered I have always found someone who will help.

Im not sure what many others are like but I studied the last 2 years of my initial degree online via portsmouth Uni (2008-2010) and in comparison that was terrible. There was some kind of online student platform but nobody went on it. I literally never was in any contact with another student for 2 years. I get issued my essays to do and what books to read and I think that was pretty much it. Tutors were near impossible to get a reply from aswel. It was complete isolation.

I guess the best thing about this course in that everybody has to engage as a requirement and it really is an excellent social network of interesting people. I have experienced positive atmosophers on my modules and have even met up with and made friends with a few in the 'real world'.

Wow I really wrote alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 longinthetooth

Thanks so much for the details. That's a great help.

Advertisement