Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bands

Options
  • 29-05-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Who are your favourite Waterford band, past or present?
    When I was in college in the mid 90's Waterford had a great music scene, my favs being King Kong Company and The Butterfly Band. Great nights guaranteed at their gigs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Yeah, the Butterfly Band. Legends.

Gorbachov and Trousersnake would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I always liked Big Paulie Kool And The Mental Institution. Just cause there mad bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I used to go see The Color Party in Breens (early 90s). Had friends in the band..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

Deaf Animal Orchestra - genius stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone know who 'Mental State' by The Village was about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kytte are a really good band as well. Never seen them live but they practice next door to us so I've heard a lot of their stuff. They've a great video on Youtube too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

the bob miller band :o
    dick, dave and us:eek:
    gino hearne :D
    bag o spuds :pac:
    carol and martin ;)
    the shamrocks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

The Butterfly Band are fantastic - always make an effort to see them when they're around.

Never been a big fan of Gorbachov - Nothing wrong at all with their music, I just personally didn't enjoy it all that much. Know others who are mental for them.

Waterford was a great place for local bands 4/5 years back, but there's honestly not a lot of them around anymore.. Anyone remember downfall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Adyx wrote: »
    Kytte are a really good band as well. Never seen them live but they practice next door to us so I've heard a lot of their stuff. They've a great video on Youtube too.

Excellent so they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

gscully wrote: »
    I used to go see The Color Party in Breens (early 90s). Had friends in the band..
    used to have one of their posters. Des johnson and the lads

• Advertisement

i cant think of the band name but the lead singer was a skinny curly head fella and the base guitar fella had one leg shorter then the other and the drummer was another curly head fella,
    use to play in the rouge quit a bit, brilliant band.
    anyone know who im on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Taxi out in the Carousel *sighs*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I love the way the Jam Tarts are starting to explore their sound now. They've set themselves apart from the rest of the cover bands doing the rounds in the city by reinterpreting some songs and mashing them together. I even saw them sober recently and enjoyed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

i cant think of the band name but the lead singer was a skinny curly head fella and the base guitar fella had one leg shorter then the other and the drummer was another curly head fella,

Cassidy?

Used to love watching Big Paulie and the Mental Institution. Especially when Spraoi was smaller and local bands were more prominent during it.

Also Cormac Kavanagh's band a few years back, before Duped, can't remember their name.

Cassidy?

thats the one :cool:

cheers

Tellox wrote: »
    Anyone remember downfall?

Nice one! Who woulda thought anyone would remember us? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Think this band was called Resin, remember seeing them good few times in the kazbar and wacky apple, resin are now broken up as far as i know but some of the band memebers have gone into other bands

The drummer in resin was pure class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Also Cormac Kavanagh's band a few years back, before Duped, can't remember their name.

Fourteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Think this band was called Resin, remember seeing them good few times in the kazbar and wacky apple, resin are now broken up as far as i know but some of the band memebers have gone into other bands

The drummer in resin was pure class!!

Could have been resin or lebowski - both had a lot of the same members in them. I remember the rest of the lads would take a fag break for 5 minutes while in the mean time the drummer(correct me if im wrong i think his name is peter sauvage) would do a drum solo that lasted about 5-10 minutes - was a bit crazy but excellent at the same time! they would come back in then and 99% of the time it would gradually break into 7nation army:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Could have been resin or lebowski - both had a lot of the same members in them. I remember the rest of the lads would take a fag break for 5 minutes while in the mean time the drummer(correct me if im wrong i think his name is peter sauvage) would do a drum solo that lasted about 5-10 minutes - was a bit crazy but excellent at the same time! they would come back in then and 99% of the time it would gradually break into 7nation army:D

you are correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Except about Lebowski and Resin having many the same members. Only the drummer is the same. And I don't think the band Paddy Smith is talking about was Resin. It was probably Cassidy as already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Aimzey

The waxies

the Jam Tarts

the remedies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Gorbachov & Deaf Animal Orchestra

Both great bands. Don't know many of the newer local bands though, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got guitar lessons off him years ago. Sound chap.

Anyone remember "ditch" from years ago. Excellent band. Must go through me tapes and look for their demo.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I got guitar lessons off him years ago. Sound chap.

Anyone remember "ditch" from years ago. Excellent band. Must go through me tapes and look for their demo.
    Ditch were still around for a few years after, called "Resonant" (sp?). They just had a different singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

KingLoser wrote: »
    Nice one! Who woulda thought anyone would remember us? :D

**** that, I was remembering Jen :D
    dont worry Jim, I could never forget about you

Waterford needs a few more bands on the scene.. the only new bands cropping up lately are death/black metal.
    I'm not opposed to a bit of that myself, but a full set of it can get a little bit headwrecking..

Siam Collective, anyone? Love hearing them play, very unique sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Come see Shane Barry & the Distractions and Deaf Animal Orchestra in Elect Ave on Sat !

http://www.myspace.com/shanebarryofficial
    http://www.myspace.com/deafanimalorchestra

/shamless plug

On topic: +100 for whoever mentioned fourteen, amazing band. A couple of the brass players are currently playing in the Distractions.

Anyone remember King Kong Company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Anyone remember King Kong Company ?

Yeah King Kong Company were great.

Is it just me or could it be that the down fall/ fall off of bands in waterford happened after The Kings pub closed??

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Yeah there isn't many places like the Kings used to be TBH, where everybody went to see a band and have a few pints, rather than going for a few pints where a band happens to be playing. Subtle difference, but it made for much better gigs.

There are still great bands around, Waterford just doesn't have the venues to showcase them.

Try and catch a gig or two in the Candlelight Sessions upstairs in Phil Grimes, this is going for much the same vibe except much more intimate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Some current waterford bands who are really doing something

Katie Kim (Great album, lots of media interest and making serious inroads)
    Ugly Megan (number of interesting EP's)
    O Emperor ( new album out soon and playing Oxygen)

Advertisement