Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Bands

• 29-05-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Who are your favourite Waterford band, past or present?
    When I was in college in the mid 90's Waterford had a great music scene, my favs being King Kong Company and The Butterfly Band. Great nights guaranteed at their gigs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Yeah, the Butterfly Band. Legends.

Gorbachov and Trousersnake would be my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I always liked Big Paulie Kool And The Mental Institution. Just cause there mad bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I used to go see The Color Party in Breens (early 90s). Had friends in the band..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

Deaf Animal Orchestra - genius stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone know who 'Mental State' by The Village was about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kytte are a really good band as well. Never seen them live but they practice next door to us so I've heard a lot of their stuff. They've a great video on Youtube too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

the bob miller band :o
    dick, dave and us:eek:
    gino hearne :D
    bag o spuds :pac:
    carol and martin ;)
    the shamrocks :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

The Butterfly Band are fantastic - always make an effort to see them when they're around.

Never been a big fan of Gorbachov - Nothing wrong at all with their music, I just personally didn't enjoy it all that much. Know others who are mental for them.

Waterford was a great place for local bands 4/5 years back, but there's honestly not a lot of them around anymore.. Anyone remember downfall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Adyx wrote: »
    Kytte are a really good band as well. Never seen them live but they practice next door to us so I've heard a lot of their stuff. They've a great video on Youtube too.

Excellent so they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

gscully wrote: »
    I used to go see The Color Party in Breens (early 90s). Had friends in the band..
    used to have one of their posters. Des johnson and the lads

• Advertisement

i cant think of the band name but the lead singer was a skinny curly head fella and the base guitar fella had one leg shorter then the other and the drummer was another curly head fella,
    use to play in the rouge quit a bit, brilliant band.
    anyone know who im on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Taxi out in the Carousel *sighs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I love the way the Jam Tarts are starting to explore their sound now. They've set themselves apart from the rest of the cover bands doing the rounds in the city by reinterpreting some songs and mashing them together. I even saw them sober recently and enjoyed them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

i cant think of the band name but the lead singer was a skinny curly head fella and the base guitar fella had one leg shorter then the other and the drummer was another curly head fella,

Cassidy?

Used to love watching Big Paulie and the Mental Institution. Especially when Spraoi was smaller and local bands were more prominent during it.

Also Cormac Kavanagh's band a few years back, before Duped, can't remember their name.

Cassidy?

thats the one :cool:

cheers

Tellox wrote: »
    Anyone remember downfall?

Nice one! Who woulda thought anyone would remember us? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Think this band was called Resin, remember seeing them good few times in the kazbar and wacky apple, resin are now broken up as far as i know but some of the band memebers have gone into other bands

The drummer in resin was pure class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Also Cormac Kavanagh's band a few years back, before Duped, can't remember their name.

Fourteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Think this band was called Resin, remember seeing them good few times in the kazbar and wacky apple, resin are now broken up as far as i know but some of the band memebers have gone into other bands

The drummer in resin was pure class!!

Could have been resin or lebowski - both had a lot of the same members in them. I remember the rest of the lads would take a fag break for 5 minutes while in the mean time the drummer(correct me if im wrong i think his name is peter sauvage) would do a drum solo that lasted about 5-10 minutes - was a bit crazy but excellent at the same time! they would come back in then and 99% of the time it would gradually break into 7nation army:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Could have been resin or lebowski - both had a lot of the same members in them. I remember the rest of the lads would take a fag break for 5 minutes while in the mean time the drummer(correct me if im wrong i think his name is peter sauvage) would do a drum solo that lasted about 5-10 minutes - was a bit crazy but excellent at the same time! they would come back in then and 99% of the time it would gradually break into 7nation army:D

you are correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Except about Lebowski and Resin having many the same members. Only the drummer is the same. And I don't think the band Paddy Smith is talking about was Resin. It was probably Cassidy as already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Aimzey

The waxies

the Jam Tarts

the remedies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Gorbachov & Deaf Animal Orchestra

Both great bands. Don't know many of the newer local bands though, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got guitar lessons off him years ago. Sound chap.

Anyone remember "ditch" from years ago. Excellent band. Must go through me tapes and look for their demo.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I got guitar lessons off him years ago. Sound chap.

Anyone remember "ditch" from years ago. Excellent band. Must go through me tapes and look for their demo.
    Ditch were still around for a few years after, called "Resonant" (sp?). They just had a different singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

KingLoser wrote: »
    Nice one! Who woulda thought anyone would remember us? :D

**** that, I was remembering Jen :D
    dont worry Jim, I could never forget about you

Waterford needs a few more bands on the scene.. the only new bands cropping up lately are death/black metal.
    I'm not opposed to a bit of that myself, but a full set of it can get a little bit headwrecking..

Siam Collective, anyone? Love hearing them play, very unique sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Come see Shane Barry & the Distractions and Deaf Animal Orchestra in Elect Ave on Sat !

http://www.myspace.com/shanebarryofficial
    http://www.myspace.com/deafanimalorchestra

/shamless plug

On topic: +100 for whoever mentioned fourteen, amazing band. A couple of the brass players are currently playing in the Distractions.

Anyone remember King Kong Company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Anyone remember King Kong Company ?

Yeah King Kong Company were great.

Is it just me or could it be that the down fall/ fall off of bands in waterford happened after The Kings pub closed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Yeah there isn't many places like the Kings used to be TBH, where everybody went to see a band and have a few pints, rather than going for a few pints where a band happens to be playing. Subtle difference, but it made for much better gigs.

There are still great bands around, Waterford just doesn't have the venues to showcase them.

Try and catch a gig or two in the Candlelight Sessions upstairs in Phil Grimes, this is going for much the same vibe except much more intimate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Some current waterford bands who are really doing something

Katie Kim (Great album, lots of media interest and making serious inroads)
    Ugly Megan (number of interesting EP's)
    O Emperor ( new album out soon and playing Oxygen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Granger

Does anyone know the contact details for the band cassidy. They don't seem to have a website. Any help would be fantastic

thanks

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Jaysus the memories! Used to play at sleep then keep the gear in the bandflat upstairs when (John?) had it. Started off years before in a band flat down by what is now the grattan with shiver in the room opposite. Bands who were on the go when i was in waterford were cassidy, duped, resin, the heard. Loads more i'm sure but cant remember. Four doors down going back a bit farther, skunk (madness tribute), troubadour (huge with the teens back in the early 00's, remember playing teenage kicks in garter lane with them and shiver in 01 i think, great times!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

efla wrote: »
    Jaysus the memories! Used to play at sleep then keep the gear in the bandflat upstairs when (John?) had it. Started off years before in a band flat down by what is now the grattan with shiver in the room opposite. Bands who were on the go when i was in waterford were cassidy, duped, resin, the heard. Loads more i'm sure but cant remember. Four doors down going back a bit farther, skunk (madness tribute), troubadour (huge with the teens back in the early 00's, remember playing teenage kicks in garter lane with them and shiver in 01 i think, great times!).

Who did you play with back then efla?

And funny that you shuld mention Troubadour and the very next post mentions O Emperor. Fennessy, Ritchie and Savage are doing well for themselves since back then!

Yeah, these guys are something special if you ask me. The three lads I named above are playing together years and Phil and Alan are brilliant musicians in their own right so I'm not surprised that they're now making a name for themselves.

They're getting national airplay and coverage in magazines like Hot Press. Currently on a UK and Ireland tour. They played in Electric Avenue last Friday but I didn't go in the end. Hopefully their rise continues.

You didn't post my favourite song of theirs. Here's the YouTube of them performing on RTE2's 'When Under Ether'.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Who did you play with back then efla?

And funny that you shuld mention Troubadour and the very next post mentions O Emperor. Fennessy, Ritchie and Savage are doing well for themselves since back then!

Yeah, these guys are something special if you ask me. The three lads I named above are playing together years and Phil and Alan are brilliant musicians in their own right so I'm not surprised that they're now making a name for themselves.

They're getting national airplay and coverage in magazines like Hot Press. Currently on a UK and Ireland tour.

I dont believe it, i remember them well! Were they playing as saviours of space before this? That was the last time i talked to them. I played in ezra, we weren't out much. Played sleep at the kings, and a few stand alone gigs there too, wit, and the raven (which is now a strip bar)?? Played the forum with alex from ruby studios before he went on with cassidy (and stole some beer from shiver - they may have been playing as the real by then). Sav played drums for a few months with us which was an experience, he is excellent. Really miss the whole 'scene', had some great times... Is there anything like sleep anymore?

• Advertisement

I dont believe it, i remember them well! Were they playing as saviours of space before this? That was the last time i talked to them. I played in ezra, we weren't out much. Played sleep at the kings, and a few stand alone gigs there too, wit, and the raven (which is now a strip bar)?? Played the forum with alex from ruby studios before he went on with cassidy (and stole some beer from shiver - they may have been playing as the real by then). Sav played drums for a few months with us which was an experience, he is excellent. Really miss the whole 'scene', had some great times... Is there anything like sleep anymore?

Yeah they were Saviours of Space alright. Not too sure when they changed to O Emperor but they're flying now. They apparently headlined the New Bands Stage at Oxegen and all.

Jesus, I don't remember Ezra as a name but I know all the bands you're talking about and I'm pretty sure I was at that Teenage Kicks gig. I don't remember Sleep to be honest. What was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I played in ezra, we weren't out much.

Not before we had a go in Sub City, eh Efla? :D

Sleep was an open session on monday nights at the kings. People would bring gear every week, then would play for the night in rotation, great fun. People could drift in and out, play for a while with others. The cassidy lads were there most nights, some of the shiver lads (keyboard player mostly i think) and a few of the other local heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Gorbachov ftw

ahhh anyone remember the back room sessions in paul flynns years back... fun times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't forget about Drohans...

Actually... maybe we should forget about Drohans.

• Advertisement

Chochese wrote: »
    Not before we had a go in Sub City, eh Efla? :D

No doubt :) Dont forget Mayo...! edit: they still owe me for that f**king p.a!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Used to love Skunk when they were going strong!

Like The Remedees and The Waxies at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Jam Tarts really need to update their material. A lot of bands become lazy and lose their place among the elite of top quality local bands. This is happening to them. The great reputation that they built for themselves, and have rested on for a good few years, is beginning to weaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The last time i saw the jam tarts was some miserable monday night in ruby lounge. A mate of mine got engaged and the bones of 30 of us went out. We had the place to ourselves and i must say i thought they were very good. By the end of the night my constant roboting to every song infront of them started to wear thin with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Skidoo! What a band

btw, the Jam Tarts used to be one o my faves, but i saw them recently and they are still playing the same set they were playing last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I love seen Paulie Kool. Always a bit of craic. And they give the minister some going in as well which is always a laugh.

Went to see O Emperor in Electric Avenue last Friday and they were amazing. I remember when Alan used to be in The Blaa's playing most Thursday nights in the Old Rouge. Come along way since then, all the lads have.

I really enjoy Shane Barry and the Distractions I think these are excellent. Something a little different.

Also there is a band called Solar Taxi, Ashling Brown is the singer, Not sure if thats the right band, but she has some voice.

The Jam Tarts really need to update their material. A lot of bands become lazy and lose their place among the elite of top quality local bands. This is happening to them. The great reputation that they built for themselves, and have rested on for a good few years, is beginning to weaken.

Yeah we were only talking about this at the weekend. Someone I know has gone to most of their gigs for a good while now but she actually said that she's getting bored with them because it's at the stage where she knows exactly what song they're going to be playing next. That seems incredibly lazy to me.

If this is the prevailing sentiment, I'd say we could see them changing it up in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I know , I would still watch them and alot of their material is great but thet have been doing the same songs for years , like seriously they should really learn a load of new songs and start playing them !

I think for a local band thats great live Id have to go for Floyd Soul and The Wolf , couple of great original tracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I think for a local band thats great live Id have to go for Floyd Soul and The Wolf , couple of great original tracks!

Forgot these guys. Different as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

TBH I don't think the Jam Tarts are going to care about updating that set, they are still getting gigs with it and I’d say that’s all the really care about. The guys real interest is going to be in their far more creative original efforts like fighting spiders I am sure the Jam Tarts only serves to fund this for them everyone needs there bread and butter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement