Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAMMA 24 - 3Arena 27th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mixed feelings on this. If its to be treated like a mainstream sport then there is something ridiculous with pleading to take away a catch line such as Irl v Eng. Its like the FAI being lobbied to have no advertisement for an upcoming Irl v Eng soccer game at Landsdowne road lest it incite the travelling English fans. Pleading with Irish soccer fans to leave their sporting paraphernalia at home to lesson the chances of enticing violence. There is no such cries for this to happen so why is there in this fight card.

Mixed feelings because MMA is such an individual sport that i feel there is no need for the pretense of creating an Irl v Eng vibe. The fact there is no Irl v Eng match-up in the co or main event makes it even more redundant. But nevertheless i wouldn't be so down on the franchise for choosing to keep with this line. This is licenced sport and it shouldn't need to be sheltered by suggestions to go trouble free by not doing this and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Picked up my tickets for this today, going purely as a mma fan to watch and support a lot of the up-and-coming fighters. The whole Ireland vs England angle is a terrible idea and adds nothing to the show, it only serves to create tension and trouble when there doesn't need to be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

It looks like BAMMA have finally dropped this Ireland V England crap (according to the latest posters) Will they have the bollocks to come on here and (i was going to say apologise, but i think that's too strong, mis-guided? maybe?) However its gone. Long Live #MMA!

BRING IT ON!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

It looks like BAMMA have finally dropped this Ireland V England crap (according to the latest posters) Will they have the bollocks to come on here and (i was going to say apologise, but i think that's too strong, mis-guided? maybe?) However its gone. Long Live #MMA!

BRING IT ON!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

darced wrote: »
    I don't get the outrage it was only an attempt to get more bums on seats, didn't Battlezone do similar before?

Yeah but there wasn't murder at battlezone the event previously, I didn't care to be honest but I could see why others would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Celtic gladiator did Ireland v Poland a few years back. The Irish guy won the main event and now he's the UFC FW champ and fighting for the LW title soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Celtic gladiator did Ireland v Poland a few years back. The Irish guy won the main event and now he's the UFC FW champ and fighting for the LW title soon

There's no animosity between Irish and Polish people though. That's what people are getting with, it's a very touchy subject given the year that's in it and the rugby etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Anyone know the time of the first fight,I expect a few more fights to drop off the card through injury tbf,gonna be a long owl show.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gamebred wrote: »
    Anyone know the time of the first fight,I expect a few more fights to drop off the card through injury tbf,gonna be a long owl show.

Last time (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure the first bout was on at 4:30pm.

EDIT: FWIW, I don't think BAMMA need to really apologise. It was a misguided promotion gimmick that has received negative comments towards it and rightly so. If they have indeed backed off with the "Ireland vs England" tag line then fair play because they're obviously listening to their customers.

At the end of the day, they're a promotion trying to give great value for money cards. The card is good enough to sell on its own without the circus attached to it.

No need for the tribalism aspect because, while I may end up going to support Irish fighters, I would have no qualms applauding an English/French/Polish etc fighter if they put on a great performance.

Live fights are great. There really is nothing better imo but I would rather watch skilled and highly trained athletes in the cage rather than some drunken yobs squaring up to each other in the foyer.

I like BAMMA but having any sort of underlying tension throughout the afternoon/night could kill any sort of return to Ireland and tars fans/the sport in more negative criticism from the hacks who will use it as fuel to downplay MMA as nothing more than a glamorous street brawl... and come on BAMMA, you don't want that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Personally I don't think cards should be any more than 15 fights. If you have a them going the distance (you get about 3 in an hour). That a possibility of 5 hours of fights and if they are all first round finishes (5mins) You are looking at around 2 hours with walk ins etc. That is plenty of time to watch any sport and walk away feeling you have gotten value for your money.

Cards with 20 plus fights on top of having to wait for a TV slot can be very tiring. I remember at last BAMMA event I was in the arena for 6 hours+ because I had team mates early on, by the time the co main and main came on I was completely disinterested. Some say that is value for money but for me it was way to much of a good thing. Its very hard to concentrate on anything for that period of time. That added with people drinking for 6+ hours in an arena just gets messy.

I can see why many people don't come in until the main card. But it kind of defeats the purpose of the undercard imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Not much of a buzz about this.

I'm looking forward to it. Will be in for the very first fight to see ho Cian Cowley get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Gene_Parmesan

Thought there would be more buzz in the thread with the fights starting tomorrow. I'll be in from the start too.

On another note, a few fighters missed weight but fights went ahead.
    Conor Cooke v. Matt Hallam is off.

Weigh ins video below and BAMMA was live tweeting the weigh ins ith updates on the fighters that missed weight.

https://twitter.com/BAMMA?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So what's the final lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The weight-cutting seems to be a bit of a shambles at this level.

6 fighters failed to initially make weight with 1 fight cancelled today. There was about the same at BAMMA 22 from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

First BAMMA event. No idea what to expect but really looking forward to it.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So what's the final lineup?

full card is here (minus Cooke v. Hallam)

http://www.bamma.com/events/bamma-24

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

So did everyone else weigh in again on weight?

Ran like an amatuer show getting to fight in the point and you have a heap of guys not on the weight shocking if you ask me.

No, Gary Morris and Cian Cowley missed weight but their opponents agreed to the fight.

Its only Cooke v. Hallam that's off.

Is it safe to presume the main event here is likely to clash with Silva v Bisping?

• Advertisement

Is it safe to presume the main event here is likely to clash with Silva v Bisping?

Without a doubt. Main card for BAMMA doesn't begin until 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Disappointed 2 of my mates had to pull out with injuries but still looking forward to this! What time is the first fight starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

johnpro wrote: »
    Disappointed 2 of my mates had to pull out with injuries but still looking forward to this! What time is the first fight starting?

Bamma said 4:20 on twitter.

So myself and mates decided to grab tickets for this in the end. Those two friends have pulled out. Flying the flag solo. Fúck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

That_Guy wrote: »
    So myself and mates decided to grab tickets for this in the end. Those two friends have pulled out. Flying the flag solo. Fúck it.

You still have them? I was planning on getting them at the door but I'll take 1 off you if you have them and are going in early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anywhere you can watch the fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Their twitter are showing the early prelims on periscope now.
    Prelims on Lonsdale Facebook from 7pm

Main card 9pm on channel 5 sky 'other channels'

Frequency: 10.964
    Polarity:- H
    Symbol Rate: 22.0
    FEC :- 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

full card is here (minus Cooke v. Hallam)

http://www.bamma.com/events/bamma-24

that fight is still showing on the card(from your link) :confused:
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Without a doubt. Main card for BAMMA doesn't begin until 10pm.

10? theres already 2 pre lim fights over. Would they seriously have 5 hours of pre lims before the (2/3 hr) main card?
    Anywhere you can watch the fights?

There may be some sites online that are showing pre lims from 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Beersmith

So far this seems a well behaved event.

• Advertisement

Great crowd here...good atmosphere.

Advertisement