Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club Ingredients #1: Eggs

Options
  • 15-01-2016 5:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Note: We're trying a megathread for recipes, so please post all of your recipes in this thread and we'll see how it works out.

Fry 'em, bake 'em, poach 'em, boil 'em, make an omelette... When it comes to eggs, the options are endless. What's your favourite way to cook with eggs at home? Perhaps you toast some bread, top with ham, slide a fried egg on top and drizzle with sriracha. Maybe you just can't resist making some eggs benedict at the weekend. Maybe a frittata floats your boat. Or perhaps you're not a huge egg fan, but you use them up in making French toast or making a flourless cake. Whatever you do, tell us about it!

How to join in:

Post your recipe below - in this thread - with pictures if you like. The pictures must be your own, though! Ideally, put your pictures after the complete ingredients list and method, for readability.

To maintain the spirit of the forum, please try someone else's recipe and give them feedback.

If you don't have a recipe to post, that's cool too! Feel free to try whichever recipes grab your fancy and don't forget to post with your feedback.

We will leave each "Ingredient" dish run until for a week. After the week has ended, new recipe submissions for that dish will be stopped, but you can continue to comment on previous submissions as much as you like.

In this case, un oeuf is never enough ;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

When it comes to eggs. I like them like this:

Fried

Have to be dry fried, on a non stick pan. Lovely soft yoke, but both sides of the egg need to be cooked too.

Scrambled

Cooked over a very low heat. No milk. Small bit of salt and pepper at the very end. And they must remain silky and slightly wet.

Omelette

3 eggs and a dash of milk. Chives. Then, a nice cheddar cheese. Grated onto one half of the omelette. Then finely sliced ham (strips) onto the same side. Fold over to make a pocket. And cook both sides.

Eggs are my favourite, they're the perfect fast food

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I fcuking love eggs and can't really think of a way to serve them that I don't like. No, wait, I can. Mayonnaise. Ugh!

Anyway, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite way to cook eggs, but they are absolutely awesome with Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Whether on top of, scrambled into or beaten into an omelette, Frank's loves eggs and eggs love Franks. And I love them both.

*hearts popping out of eyes smiley*
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Scrambled

Cooked over a very low heat. No milk. Small bit of salt and pepper at the very end. And they must remain silky and slightly wet.

Absolutely agreed on no milk in scramblers. That's what gives them that awful extrusion of liquid that makes yer toast all soggy. No butter, though? I love absolutely criminal amounts of butter and black pepper and yes, silky and slightly wet, all the way. No to scramblers wot look like breadcrumbs!

(Although in almost direct contradiction of what I've just said, scrambling them with Frank's does make for a more "granular" consistency. But I'd nearly consider "normal" scrambled eggs and Franksy scrambled eggs two completely different creatures.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Alright, I'll chime in on scrambled eggs.

Break eggs into a bowl. The more yolk, the better, so if you're blessed with twin-yolked eggs, you're in for a win. Yes, add a splash of milk, but ideally, cream. Plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Then a squeeze of sriracha, just enough to make everything slightly more orange. Mix together.

Meanwhile, heat a frying pan* and melt plenty of butter. When it's warm, tip in your eggs and don't touch for at least a minute. When it starts to set around the edges, that's when you start mixing. Cook until they're about 90% done, then take off the heat while you butter your toast. Give the eggs a final mix, spoon on to your toast, and drizzle more sriracha over (to taste).

Enjoy!

*Cleaning eggs off a saucepan is one of life's tortures. A frying pan is infinitely easier to clean, and the larger surface area helps with a more even cook.

Faith wrote:
    *Cleaning eggs off a saucepan is one of life's tortures.

Agreed. Cold water is the key. Heat binds certain proteins. So, cold water for eggs, milk and blood.

Pretty much the only thing I remember from the one tortuous year I was forced to do Home Ec!

I love Hollandaise sauce. I'd drink the stuff if I could! But ain't no one got time for messing around with making it, so I swear by this foolproof two-minute Hollandaise sauce from Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

I'm going to repost it here for convenience, and make it more metric in measurements in parts:

INGREDIENTS

1 egg yolk (about 35 grams)
    ~5ml water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice from 1 lemon (about 5 ml)
    Salt
    ~110 g butter
    Pinch cayenne pepper or hot sauce (if desired)

You'll ideally need a hand blender with a cup, like this:

232351575?$prod_main$

DIRECTIONS

1.Combine egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in the bottom of a cup that barely fits the head of an immersion blender. Melt butter in a small saucepan over high heat, swirling constantly, until foaming subsides. Transfer butter to a 1 cup liquid measuring cup.

2.Place head of immersion blender into the bottom of the cup and turn it on. With the blender constantly running, slowly pour hot butter into cup. It should emulsify with the egg yolk and lemon juice. Continue pouring until all butter is added. Sauce should be thick and creamy. Season to taste with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce (if desired). Serve immediately, or transfer to a small lidded pot and keep in a warm place for up to 1 hour before serving. Hollandaise cannot be cooled and reheated.

• Advertisement

Some alternative ideas for Eggs Benedict:

Go vegetarian and use sliced avocado and tomato instead of ham.

Use thinly sliced cooked beef (something like brisket is ideal), and add some dijon mustard to your Hollandaise.

Use really well crisped Serrano ham.

Use chorizo instead of bacon/ham.

Crab cakes benedict! Make small crab cakes and cook them, pop them on your English Muffins, then put your poached eggs and Hollandaise on top.

Go Greek and mix wilted spinach, feta and ham.

Smoked salmon also works nicely too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

@ Faith.

Scrambled eggs yum. Similar method to yours except I use a spatula after 30 seconds or so and mix it with that. Seems to work very well for me anyway. No hot sauce though!

And yikes.... I sometimes grate a bit of cheese in there, if it's winking at me in the fridge.

Buttery, creamy, cheesy scrambled eggs. Divine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have a new favourite thread on boards. :pac:

@ Faith.

Scrambled eggs yum. Similar method to yours except I use a spatula after 30 seconds or so and mix it with that. Seems to work very well for me anyway. No hot sauce though!

And yikes.... I sometimes grate a bit of cheese in there, if it's winking at me in the fridge.

Buttery, creamy, cheesy scrambled eggs. Divine.

I use a spatula too. Helps keep it lumpy rather than grainy, I find.

Definitely try the sriracha (or Franks, but I personally find Franks too vinegary). It's a revelation! And that's from someone who's not much of a heat fan.

Faith wrote:
    Use thinly sliced cooked beef (something like brisket is ideal), and add some dijon mustard to your Hollandaise.

Sold.

I had steak eggs benedict in a B&B on Achill that looks like it's run by Siegfried & Roy and it was AWESOME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Faith wrote: »
    I love Hollandaise sauce. I'd drink the stuff if I could! But ain't no one got time for messing around with making it, so I swear by this foolproof two-minute Hollandaise sauce from Serious Eats:

This is similar to how I make mayo, must try it!

I saw this on FB, haven't made this yet, but plan to!

12553076_10153926876253117_5074898507388405389_n.jpg?oh=d96d34dea4a8b5eb5c5e3c0a70c52eb4&oe=57001C4D

12400619_10153926876288117_4230569597052590172_n.jpg?oh=903ecf51273dd8d61c032d20fe84bfa0&oe=56FCD9AA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never made Hollandaise sauce, I've found it too daunting. Yours sounds much more doable Faith, I'm going to try it at the weekend and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Take a tray for baking muffins, and grease with butter to stop sticking.

Line with ham of choice to form a lining. Sliced cherry tomato. Crack in an egg. Salt pepper and mixed herbs. Pinch of grated cheese. Put in the oven to bake for 10 mins, ensuring the egg is cooked but yoke still runny.

Experiment with combinations forever.

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has anyone done the breakfast omellette?

Well I did one time and it lasted two minutes.

Whisk a dozen eggs, yes, depends on the numbers to be fed!

Fry off sausage, mushrooms, rashers, black and white pudding in a (big) pan.

Then tip the eggs in to the above ingredients. Cook to desired consistency of omellete. My god. Devoured or what. Kind of like a frittata, but with breakfast stuff!

VW 1 wrote:
    egg is cooked but yoke still runny.

I'm going to be controversial: an unwhisked egg should only ever be served with a runny yolk.

Or "guggy" as it has forever been known in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

A favourite comfort food of mine that my mam often makes is "egg in a cup." Not sure if it has a proper name, but this is how we do it:

Boil two eggs (I like mine soft boiled but hard boiled would work too) When the eggs are done, peel them and put them in a mug. Add butter, salt and pepper and mash up with a fork. Serve with toast. You can dump the whole thing straight on, or take bits from the mug as you go along (my preferred method).

It sounds a bit gross but I promise it's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Himself went mad before Christmas and bought a sous vide machine. 75 degree eggs out of it are yum! They have an almost custardy texture. He just throws them on at 75 for 13 mins and then pops them out of their shell intact.

Other than that I love a good eggs benedict. I make my hollandaise using the food lab recipes.

Polka_Dot wrote:
    A favourite comfort food of mine that my mam often makes is "egg in a cup." Not sure if it has a proper name, but this is how we do it:

"Egg in a cup" ROCKS. And there's no need to pre-boil the egg.

Crack an egg (or two) into a mug, add a good knob of butter, loads of black pepper and a grind of salt.

Microwave for 30 seconds. Chop with a knife. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Chop with a knife. Personally I like it like that but cook to taste. Et voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Favourite egg recipes

Frittata. Slice potatoes, fry in a frying pan until crispy, or a deep fat fryer,

Put potatoes in a frying pan, add 4 whisked eggs seasoned with salt and pepper, the eggs cover the Potatoes, eat hot or cold. Cook slowly, sometimes I put it under the grill to finish

Also,

Toad in the hole, mammy always made this, no way did she ever add gravy, far from that we were brought up!  :D

http://farmette.ie/2011/12/30/a-toad-in-the-hole/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Polka_Dot wrote: »

Boil two eggs (I like mine soft boiled but hard boiled would work too) When the eggs are done, peel them and put them in a mug. Add butter, salt and pepper and mash up with a fork. Serve with toast. You can dump the whole thing straight on, or take bits from the mug as you go along (my preferred method).

It sounds a bit gross but I promise it's lovely!

Soft boiled, and all as above

A guggy egg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

French toast is a go-to lazy brekkie here.

I put a glug of vanilla extract and a sprinkle of desicated coconut into the eggs when I'm whisking. Fried over a low heat in coconut oil and served with berries and melon. It's like having cake for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gordon Ramsey's scrambled eggs. These, my friends, are simply divine! What I like to do though, instead of the creme fraiche is to add a nice dollop of garlic and herb Philidelphia!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Faith wrote: »
    Alright, I'll chime in on scrambled eggs.

*Cleaning eggs off a saucepan is one of life's tortures. A frying pan is infinitely easier to clean, and the larger surface area helps with a more even cook.

Faith, I always had problems Cobh scrambled eggs until I stated cooking them in butter...haven't had the problem since. The butter doesn't stick as much I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I do them ramsay style too, but I often don't bother with added cheese, as a method it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Italian Frittata is a lunch favourite in our house.

Chop up cooked left over pasta and fry gently with garlic in plenty of olive oil.

Whisk up 4-6 eggs and add grated cheese, mixed herbs ( thyme, chives or parsley are all good), the pasta and garlic mixture and season to taste.

Cook gently in a pan until almost cooked through. Either turn over and cook until done, or finish the top under the grill.

If you don't know how to turn a half cooked frittata, here is a top tip

Slip the frittata onto a plate. Turn the frying pan upside down on top of the frittata. Carefully turn the whole thing over and the frittata is back on the pan, uncooked side down.

Serve with salad and crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I adore eggs! But I can't poach them successfully, anyone have a foolproof method?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Not sure of a foolproof method - To make poached eggs I bring a pot to a simmer, add some vinegar and then crack the eggs into an espresso cup. I think stir the water to make a vortex and slide the eggs from the espresso cup into the water.

Scrambled eggs are my favourite with sumac sprinkled on top. Its yummm.

Preheat oven to about 180 C
    Baked eggs are a favourite in my house:
    Grease a small shallowish baking dish.
    Smear in a couple table spoons creme fraiche.
    Top with left over (roast) veg, ham , chorizo, spinach, whatever.
    Put in oven for about 10 mins.
    Crack eggs on top
    Cook until eggs are cooked.
    Top with Dukkah (there is a moroccan influence in our house at the moment).
    The perfect weekend brunch dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

pampootie wrote: »
    I adore eggs! But I can't poach them successfully, anyone have a foolproof method?

I'm afraid mine is a poaching pan 😀 Worth every penny tho, I could not make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Poached can be tricky. Vinegar and little whirlpool as mentioned above do work very well. The fresher the eggs the easier they are to poach. Something to do with the structure of the whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Poached eggs are my fav.

I love a poached egg on sourdough toast, butter, grated beetroot (raw!) and parmesan on top. So good!! :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement