Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerrygold Vs. Any other brand butter

Options
  • 08-01-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what it is about kerrygold that command such a premium in price?

Compared to Dunnes own brand there's nearly €1 in the price difference for cream & salt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I find it easier to spread than own brand butters... or sometimes I just buy own brand butter and keep part portion out of fridge all the time in butter tray.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

As far as I know the price is because Kerrygold is from grass fed cows whereas other butter is made from cows milk who are eating grain etc. It's completely natural with nothing added (apart from salt in the salted version). It's more expensive to produce but a tastier product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You're also paying for the brand

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As far as I know the price is because Kerrygold is from grass fed cows whereas other butter is made from cows milk who are eating grain etc.
    I thought the vast majority of cows are grass fed in Ireland.
    OU812 wrote: »
    Compared to Dunnes own brand there's nearly €1 in the price difference for cream & salt.
    Advertising costs a huge amount. I have heard the advertising cost for many branded beers per pint is a lot more than the ingredients. I would love to see the breakdown in what you are paying for, I expect it would put many people off buying some products, and not frown upon some for being "cheap" when in fact the production costs could be a lot higher.

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought the vast majority of cows are grass fed in Ireland.

Advertising costs a huge amount. I have heard the advertising cost for many branded beers per pint is a lot more than the ingredients. I would love to see the breakdown in what you are paying for, I expect it would put many people off buying some products, and not frown upon some for being "cheap" when in fact the production costs could be a lot higher.

I think the kerrygold cows are exclusively fed on grass whereas most other herds are supplemented with grain. It's cheaper to feed them grain as well as grass, because to exclusively grass feed means needing lots of space to allow the grass time to recover. I'll try to get some information on it and put in a link.

Edited to say after some research they are grass fed for 10 months. During 2 months of winter they are brought inside and eat grain.

Though they are also humanely raised and treated very well I'm not sure how that would account for a higher price!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will explain better than my attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Paying for the brand name. I have an Irish fanatic friend in the US who got very excited when she found Kerrygold butter for sale there. I use the own brand.

I think the kerrygold cows are exclusively fed on grass whereas most other herds are supplemented with grain. It's cheaper to feed them grain as well as grass, because to exclusively grass feed means needing lots of space to allow the grass time to recover. I'll try to get some information on it and put in a link.

Edited to say after some research they are grass fed for 10 months. During 2 months of winter they are brought inside and eat grain.

Though they are also humanely raised and treated very well I'm not sure how that would account for a higher price!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will explain better than my attempt!

I live among cattle and they are fed sileage in winter ie grass..and cattle nuts which is what maybe this is about. ie concentrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Its the very same as supermarket butter only its a brand name for our butter sold to international markets and it works wonderfully 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Paying for the brand.

Kerrygold don't have their own herd and virtually all cattle in Ireland is grass-fed with supplementary feed in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Kerrygold butter was made in every creamery in Ireland that produced butter, alongside the creamery's own brand and whatever supermarket brands that that creamery produced. The name began as a marketing concept, to sell all Irish butter abroad under one name. there is an EU oval stamp on all dairy products wrappers with the number of the specific creamery that produced the product stamped inside it, the number on Kerrygold can also be the same no on other branded and own brand butters which were made in the same creamery.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Paying for the brand.

Kerrygold don't have their own herd and virtually all cattle in Ireland is grass-fed with supplementary feed in winter.

I already edited my post to include this. Why quote my post but cut out the bit that you're basically repeating?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

I think he was just buttering you up there!!

You can compare products nutritional info to rule out if its the exact same as another brand. Note I am not saying if they match that they are identical, just rules it out. It could be the exact same and from the same factory but still a different grade, or cooked faster/differently.

This list is from 2011.
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    More and more people are turning to own brands at the moment, here is a list of the companies who make supermarket own brand products.

Tesco Own brands

They say that 100 Irish companies produce some 2,000 own brand Tesco products. 98% of their customers purchase at least one own brand as part of weekly shop. Own brand household cleaning account for 63% of sales in that category.

Who makes Tesco own brand?

Glanbia – Tesco milk; Tesco butter; Tesco fromage frais
    Mannings bakery (Dublin) – Tesco apple tarts, crumble, bakewell tart and other cakes
    Hilton Foods (Drogheda) – Tesco Finest sausages, chorizo sausages, Tesco Finest Pork and Lamb products.
    Brogan’s Bakery (Galway) – Tesco muffins
    Country Crest (Lucan); Tesco roosters, kerrs pink, baby potatoes, onions, shallots and more veg.
    Gem Pack Foods Ltd – Tesco rice, sugar, currants, sultanas, raisins, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc,
    Catron Bros (Cavan / Dublin) – Tesco chicken ranges
    P Mulrine & sons (Donegal) – Tesco juices (ambient and chilled).
    Both Irish Pride and Bachelors also make some Tesco label products.

Superquinn

Over 2,000 own brand products are available; 95% of the fresh own label products are Irish, while over 75% of grocery own label products are sourced from Irish suppliers/producers, 100% Irish chicken only used in their ready meals. They say they have seen a 20% increase in sales on own label products in 2010 compared to 2009.

Who makes Superquinn own brand?

Johnston Mooney & O’Brien - Essentials bread
    Pat the Baker - Superquinn core bread
    Connacht Gold - butter and cream
    Bewley’s - own label core tea
    Seery’s, Scott’s, Sam’s Cookies, and Fusco’s - all supply cakes for Superquinn Essentials range
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty, Co Cork)- produce Essentials yogurts
    Dublin based Donnellys - supply all fruit and vegetables
    Wonderfoods (Dublin) - supply pre-pack salads and prepared vegetables
    Country Crest based in Lusk - produce Superquinn own label ready meals using locally grown ingredients
    Bombay Pantry based in Dublin - produce ethnic convenience meals under Superquinn own label

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?

Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

SuperValu

SuperValu have 1,700 own brand products, over 30% of these are Irish.
    Who makes SuperValu own brand?
    Glenisk – organic yogurts
    Follain (Co Cork) – SV Supreme jam, cranberry sauce, apple chutney, wholegrain mustard, relishes.
    Kelkin – SV Muesli
    Bandon Vale – cheese blocks
    Mulrines – SV ketchup
    Seerys (Carlow)– tea brack and brownie slices
    Silver Pail (Fermoy, Co Cork)– Supreme ice creams
    Lakeland Dairies (Cavan) – SuperValu Ice cream 1lt tubs
    Riverview Eggs, Cork, Valley View Eggs, Bandon, Co. Cork, Clonarn Clover, Co. Meath and Nest Box Egg Co, Monaghan – SV eggs
    Carty meats (Athlone)– SV rasher range
    Mallons (Monaghan)– SV sausages
    Countrystyle (Co Kilkenny) – SV puddings
    Kepak – frozen burgers
    Prestige Foods (Kerry) – trifle range
    Taravale (Naas)– Salads such as coleslaw etc
    Sunshine juice (Carlow)– Supreme freshly squeezed juice
    JDS Foods (Cork) – SV spreads / margarine
    Cashel – SV speciality cheeses

Centra

Centra have 700 own brand products available and 35% of their own brand products are Irish made. They say they use Irish suppliers for their fresh produce; all meat is 100% Irish; 67% of fruit and veg and 75% of dairy.

Who makes Centra products?
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty)– Centra luxury yoghurts
    McEvoy Family Foods (Co Tipperary) - Chilled Soup Range
    Brady Family (Co Kildare) – deli style meats
    Dunhill Cuisine (Waterford)– ready made meals i.e. cottage pie / lasagne
    Mulrines (Donegal)– Centra juice range
    Kerry Freshways – pre-packed sandwiches
    North Cork co-op – Centra butter
    Blenders (Dublin)- Mayonnaise

Dunnes

Overall over 75% of Dunnes fresh own label is sourced in Ireland; 100% fresh beef, chicken , lamb, pork is Irish; 97% of our bakery lines are Irish made ; 91% of all potatoes are Irish and 100% fresh fish from Irish suppliers / waters.

Olhausen - Dunnes Sausages
    Batchelors - baked beans and peas
    Mulrines - juice
    Blenders - pasta sauces
    Tendermeats (dedicated meat plant) - All Dunnes meat is controlled from farm to shelf via this plant

Some of Dunnes fresh own label suppliers
    Natural Dairies Ltd.
    Riverview Eggs Ltd.
    The Nest Box Egg Co.
    Annalitten Farm Foods Ltd.
    Nevilles Bakery Dublin Ltd.
    Johnson Mooney & O'Brien
    Pat the Baker
    Matt Reilly Cakes Ltd.
    Staffords Bakery Ltd.
    Brogans Bakery
    P McCloskey & Sons Ltd.
    Scotts Bakery Ltd.
    William Carr & Sons Ltd.
    H.J. Nolan (Dublin) Ltd.
    Wrights of Howth
    Dunns Seafare Ltd.
    Oceanpath
    Galway Bay Seafoods Ltd.

Another way of checking (for the super-sleuths!)
    This only applies to meat and diary products: Irrespective of the brand, the label will have an EU approval number identifying the final processing plant. The Department of Agriculture publishes a list of approved plants for Ireland on its website.

This label identifies only the final stage of processing not the actual origin of the meat or dairy product.
    For example, if you’re looking at two cartons of milk or a packet of rashers, one branded, one own brand, look at the origin code on the label (an oval with IE, a number and EC) or on the cap you may find, for instance, the number 1405 on both products. This identifies the production plant as being the same.

List compiled by Tina Leonard of the Pat Kenny Radio Show

Never knew there was a kerrygold version of baileys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerrygold_Irish_Cream_Liqueur
    cta.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Generally, all Irish creamery butters are the same, branded or store brand. Kerrygold is a great example of a premium brand and a marketing success.

Can't beat Irish butter. There is simply nothing better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dw2016

OU812 wrote: »
    Just wondering what it is about kerrygold that command such a premium in price?

a lot of the supermarkets sell their own brand essential foodstuffs such as milk butter veg etc at below cost of production to entice the shopper in the door! The likes of kerry Avonmore can't do that or they wouldn't be long going broke

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Check the oval code no in Tesco for their milk and butter and the oval code no in Tesco for Avonmore milk and butter, they're the same

rubadub wrote: »
    You can compare products nutritional info to rule out if its the exact same as another brand. Note I am not saying if they match that they are identical, just rules it out. It could be the exact same and from the same factory but still a different grade, or cooked faster/differently.

This list is from 2011.

Never knew there was a kerrygold version of baileys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerrygold_Irish_Cream_Liqueur
    cta.png

I make my own Irish Cream Liqueur.. On my pension the original costs too much and i have whiskey in the house for the marmalade I sell.. I am not a drinker but just fancied Irish Cream at Christmas. google gave me the gist, then I chatted with a hotel employee at a Christmas Craft Fair whose hobby is making liqueurs. It is so easy and I love it! Added my own touches and in this weather it makes a grand nightcap....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

dudara wrote: »
    Generally, all Irish creamery butters are the same, branded or store brand. Kerrygold is a great example of a premium brand and a marketing success.

Can't beat Irish butter. There is simply nothing better out there.

wow, was just thinking the complete opposite. I find Irish butter absolutely terrible and tasteless compared to say French butter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

wow, was just thinking the complete opposite. I find Irish butter absolutely terrible and tasteless compared to say French butter

French stuff is awful it almost white and has no flavour IMO, as irish butter is generally salted nothing else compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

French stuff is awful it almost white and has no flavour IMO, as irish butter is generally salted nothing else compares.

lol, i think we'll have to agree to disagree.

French butter is yellow for a start, and comes in unsalted, lightly salted and salted varieties. Only French butter they sell in Ireland is president, which is a decent start (although long way to go yet). put a bit of that on bread and compare it to Kerrygold. one has oodles of flavor and tastes delicious, the other is Kerrygold :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lol, i think we'll have to agree to disagree.

French butter is yellow for a start, and comes in unsalted, lightly salted and salted varieties. Only French butter they sell in Ireland is president, which is a decent start (although long way to go yet). put a bit of that on bread and compare it to Kerrygold. one has oodles of flavor and tastes delicious, the other is Kerrygold :pac:

Nah, you are just seven shades of wrong here.

seven shades

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I find other butters melt more at room temperature than Kerrygold does, which leads me to think that they have more oil added. Kerrygold stays rock solid without serious coaxing.

That's just my experience though, and could be totally baseless. I've been out of Ireland for a while so that could have changed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Faith wrote: »
    I find other butters melt more at room temperature than Kerrygold does, which leads me to think that they have more oil added. Kerrygold stays rock solid without serious coaxing.

That's just my experience though, and could be totally baseless. I've been out of Ireland for a while so that could have changed too.

The ingredients of own brand butter are Milk and salt, exactly the same as Kerrygold. Also, I cant believe that you could add oil to butter and not change the taste and texture of butter and how it separates when melted.

I agree that some own brand butters are softer at warm room temperatures. I know nothing about the process of making butter and how this affects the butter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

huskerdu wrote: »
    The ingredients of own brand butter are Milk and salt, exactly the same as Kerrygold. Also, I cant believe that you could add oil to butter and not change the taste and texture of butter and how it separates when melted.

Spreadable butters, like Dairygold, have oils added to them to make them spreadable. But looking at the ingredients, I only see milk and salt for the blocks of butter that I can find online, so I'm probably imagining things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For me (as noted by Faith and Huskerdu) it's the consistency of Kerrygold that I notice as differentiating it from other Irish butters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've tasted my way through a lot of Irish butters (butters, mind, not those abominable spreads! How do they get away with even calling those "butter"???), and my favourite for taste and texture is Aldi's own brand.

Though I have to say Irish butter did take a bit of getting used to when I first came over here. At first, it all tasted a bit rancid to me, but I quite enjoy it now.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    For me (as noted by Faith and Huskerdu) it's the consistency of Kerrygold that I notice as differentiating it from other Irish butters.
    You could compare the size of the 1lb blocks. If one is smaller in size the other is probably sligthly whipped and more airy.

I have softer kerrygold, not crap with oil added, I think it is just more airy so its easy to scrape up some and easy to spread. Sort of like a wispa bar is airy but the spreadable kerrygold does not have visible bubbles.
    KERRYGOLD PURE IRISH BUTTER SOFTER TUB

Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter softer tub
    Is pure Irish butter made from only the finest quality Summer milk, and contains no added vegetable oil. The unique way in which Kerrygold softer butter is churned makes it softer and easier to spread.
    Uses: Spread straight from the fridge onto fresh bread or scones, instant satisfaction!

they do another with added oil
    KERRYGOLD SPREADABLE WITH IRISH BUTTER AND OLIVE OIL

Kerrygold Spreadable with Irish Butter and olive oil
    New Kerrygold Spreadable combines delicious Irish butter with olive oil to make it spreadable from the fridge.
    Uses: Excellent when melted on a jacket potato, spread on toast and sandwiches or used in cooking and baking.

I think in another thread someone said lidl stays rock hard. If its a little bit airy I imagine it may seem more melted at room temp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I don't think the flavour and texture of any other butter is as nice as Kerrygold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Faith wrote: »
    Spreadable butters, like Dairygold, have oils added to them to make them spreadable. But looking at the ingredients, I only see milk and salt for the blocks of butter that I can find online, so I'm probably imagining things :)

I was only comparing real butters. The spreadable ones are very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

huskerdu wrote:
    I was only comparing real butters. The spreadable ones are very different.

I think people are conflating the "easier spread" versions of real butter with dairy spreads. Two very different things, neither of which are real butter. But the former is much closer than the latter.

Personally, I just keep half my butter in a dish in the cupboard and half in the fridge. Covers pretty much all contingencies.

Advertisement