Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

That was one hell of a show!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm looking forward to getting to see it once I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm basically a zombie after all of that and then the crazy marking out at the end. Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'm basically a zombie after all of that and then the crazy marking out at the end. Absolutely incredible.

Spolier free confirmation that I will enjoy this.....woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Not huge into the Japanese wrestling but deceied to catch this as i was off this morning. the show itself was great but my god i hated the commentary. Give me cole, jbl and lawler over that. Granted ive never liked striker so it was always going to be a struggle for me with him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

sky88 wrote: »
    Not huge into the Japanese wrestling but deceied to catch this as i was off this morning. the show itself was great but my god i hated the commentary. Give me cole, jbl and lawler over that. Granted ive never liked striker so it was always going to be a struggle for me with him on.

I probably should have suggested the Japanese commentary beforehand. Far more enjoyable, and they add way more to what's going on in the ring even though I can't speak Japanese, their passion and excitement comes across so clearly. If there's a choice, I always choose the Japanese commentary option.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

AJ/Nakamura is one of the best matches I've ever seen. Last few mins of Okada/Tana was pure goosebumps too.

Hope Naito gets a run as main heel this year, him v Okada is a programme I could get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

That IC match was simply everything I love about wrestling. I'd easily call it my favourite Nakamura match, which makes it one of my favourite matches of all time.

I was SCREAMING during the last few minutes of the IWGP match, it was epic.

Also, the NEVER Openweight Championship match was fantastic and one of the most violent matches I have seen not involving weapons. I may enjoy my catch wrestling but nothing beats two lads hoping seven shades of ****e out of one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Both main events brought it! Preferred Okada/Tana as it was the culmination of years and years of epic matches. Okada hanging onto Tana's wrist at the end, the near coast to cost drop kick, finisher trades, the leg work and selling-this match had it all. Awesome

AJ/Naka was great, really lived up to the hype, the triangle choke into the Styles clash and the fist bump at end were great visuals.

Matt striker is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

den87 wrote: »
    Matt striker is awful.

Agreed. Seems he's been fielding similar sentiments today :p

https://twitter.com/Matt_Striker_/status/683993164173209601

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Agreed. Seems he's been fielding similar sentiments today :p

https://twitter.com/Matt_Striker_/status/683993164173209601

Ive only seen the 2 mains so far and the amount of times he messed up and said "ah you know what i mean..." or something to that effect was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just after putting it on now absolutely love watching Red Dragon

I loved Kelly constantly asking Yoshi to elaborate on every single point he made, knowing full well poor Yoshi would have nothing more to add.

"I think that was a bad move"

"Tell us why?"

"...because it's a bad move."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I appreciated Matt Striker getting the odd bit of shilling for ProWrestlingTees in. It'd be a system shock to not have any after years of WWE's commentary. Tatsu shouldn't have been near commentary though, he didn't really add anything.

Just on the Ishii vs Shibata match now, internet's been dire all day so it's been a pain trying to watch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

What a show! Thought last year's would be very hard to top but they pulled it out of the bag. As others have said the last three matches were all fantastic. Wasn't a bad match on the show really go out of your way to watch this show.

Don't get the Matt Striker hate personally, sure he can be a little grating sometimes but I really admire his passion for what he is watching. Kevin Kelly didn't seem to know too much about anyone that wasn't Okada/Tanahashi or a ROH star. Poor Yoshi, basically put there to badly translate one single promo. Was very funny to listen to though not gonna lie.

"Yes"

"Nice"

The funniest part when Striker asks Yoshi who clearly didn't fully understand the question "Yoshi you wouldn't want to win a huge title match by count out would you?"

"....yes?"

The best was him saying he didn't care about the IC Title.

Striker's definitely awful by the way. I don't mind delving into wrestling history, but it always comes across as him showing off as opposed to adding anything to what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ishii vs Shibata. What a fucking match. I know I picked Ishii to win but that was largely because they never give Shibata the win when he deserves it so I was delighted to be proven wrong. As good as the two main events were, this was my favourite match of the night. A title change also means we are almost guaranteed a rematch in the not to distant future too.

Styles vs Nakamura was incredible and more than lived up to the expectations. When Styles connected with the knee to the face and 450, I said to myself that the match was over. Nakamura looked out after that knee. Not sure where Nakamura goes now since he has beaten pretty much everyone.

Okada vs Tanahashi started out slow and made me worried that they weren't going to be able to live up to their own incredibly high standards. Luckily the match picked up a few minutes in. Loved when the still fresh Okada pretty much knowing what Tanahashi was going for before he even went for it. Really shows how well they know each other. I started the match sitting back, by the end I was practically on my feet.

Elsewhere, delighted for Honma. He's been an incredibly solid worker for a long time now and deserves his time to shine. Hopefully this also spells the end for Guns and Gallows. I like Anderson but Gallows is just awful. Hopefully NXT sign him since they like signing everyone they can even if they aren't needed. At least then he will be out of the way. When the Young Bucks came out with Kenny Omega I was expecting some bullshit. When Omega started his comedy stuff I groaned but thankfully it didn't last and he brought it afterwards. Wrestle Kingdom isn't the time or the place for his comedy antics.

Can only imagine how many first time viewers got tricked by Fujiwara's entrance music.

Two trainees debuted the day before. Hirai Kawato and Teruaki Kanemitsu. Kawato looked the better of the two but both matches were practically identical so it's hard to tell.

Overall, a great start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cody Hall should never wear shorts again, especially when he's so obviously skipped leg day since he was 12 years of age

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ishii vs Shibata. What a fucking match. I know I picked Ishii to win but that was largely because they never give Shibata the win when he deserves it so I was delighted to be proven wrong. As good as the two main events were, this was my favourite match of the night. A title change also means we are almost guaranteed a rematch in the not to distant future too.

Styles vs Nakamura was incredible and more than lived up to the expectations. When Styles connected with the knee to the face and 450, I said to myself that the match was over. Nakamura looked out after that knee. Not sure where Nakamura goes now since he has beaten pretty much everyone.

Okada vs Tanahashi started out slow and made me worried that they weren't going to be able to live up to their own incredibly high standards. Luckily the match picked up a few minutes in. Loved when the still fresh Okada pretty much knowing what Tanahashi was going for before he even went for it. Really shows how well they know each other. I started the match sitting back, by the end I was practically on my feet.

Elsewhere, delighted for Honma. He's been an incredibly solid worker for a long time now and deserves his time to shine. Hopefully this also spells the end for Guns and Gallows. I like Anderson but Gallows is just awful. Hopefully NXT sign him since they like signing everyone they can even if they aren't needed. At least then he will be out of the way. When the Young Bucks came out with Kenny Omega I was expecting some bullshit. When Omega started his comedy stuff I groaned but thankfully it didn't last and he brought it afterwards. Wrestle Kingdom isn't the time or the place for his comedy antics.

Can only imagine how many first time viewers got tricked by Fujiwara's entrance music.

Two trainees debuted the day before. Hirai Kawato and Teruaki Kanemitsu. Kawato looked the better of the two but both matches were practically identical so it's hard to tell.

Overall, a great start to the year.

Kenny Omega has challenged Nakamura for the IC title, so looks like that's what's ahead for him in the short term at least.

• Advertisement

Omega is amazing, great opportunity for him. I disagree about the comedy stuff having no place when he's so incredibly entertaining and charismatic.

Was a Honma fan till that stuff came out about him allegedly abusing his partner, so screw him.

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Omega is amazing, great opportunity for him. I disagree about the comedy stuff having no place when he's so incredibly entertaining and charismatic.

Was a Honma fan till that stuff came out about him allegedly abusing his partner, so screw him.

Kenny Omega has obviously stuck flag poles up people's asses. Imagine if that happened in a major match at Wrestlemania. There is a time and a place for that stuff, major shows isn't it.

As for Honma, unproven claims (and based on how quickly the story died, look to have been fabricated) are enough to completely change your view on someone? You must hate Steve Austin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

John Lennon too.

The cards for Fantasticamania are out. No idea which will be on New Japan World. None of them look amazing but they all have one or two matches that should be worth watching. Mascara Dorada, Sho Tanaka and Yohei Komatsu won't be appearing for NJPW again after these shows. Dorada is going back to CMLL after wasting a year in Japan while Tanaka and Komatsu are off on their first excursion. Worth noting that it pretty much took Nakamura three excursions before he found what worked and became the wrestler he is today.

2016/01/17 (Sun), 2AM EST Kochi Kochi Sunpia Cerise:

1. KUSHIDA & Stuka Jr. vs. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu

2. The Panther & Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Boby Zavala & Okumura

3. Fuego & Titan vs. YOSHI-HASHI & Barbaro Cavernario

4. Jay White & Dragon Lee vs. Virus & Hechicero

5. BUSHI, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito vs. Juice Robinson, Mascara Dorada & Atlantis

6. Ryusuke Taguchi & Volador Jr. vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Mephisto

7. Jushin Liger, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Mistico vs. Gedo, Kazuchika Okada & Ultimo Guerrero

2016/01/19 (Tue) 4:30 AM EST Kyoto Kyoto KBS Hall:

1. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Fuego & Ryusuke Taguchi

2. The Panther vs. Okumura

3. Boby Zavala vs. Guerrero Maya

4. David Finlay, Jushin Liger, Dragon Lee & Titan vs. YOSHI-HASHI, Virus, Hechicero & Barbaro Cavernario

5. Stuka Jr., Mascara Dorada & Atlantis vs. BUSHI, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito

6. KUSHIDA & Mistico vs. Gedo & Ultimo Guerrero

7. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Mephisto vs. Juice Robinson, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Volador Jr.

2016/01/20 (Wed) 4:30 AM EST Osaka Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, second stadium (EDION arena Osaka):

1. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Jushin Liger & Stuka Jr.

2. Boby Zavala vs. The Panther

3. Guerrero Maya vs. Okumura

4. Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI, Hechicero & Barbaro Cavernario vs. Jay White, KUSHIDA Ryusuke Taguchi & Titan

5. Fuego, Mascara Dorada & Atlantis vs. BUSHI, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito

6. Juice Robinson, Volador Jr. & Mistico vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Mephisto & Ultimo Guerrero

7. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Dragon Lee vs. Kazuchika Okada & Virus

2016/01/22 (Fri) 4:30 AM EST Tokyo Korakuen Hall:

1. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Stuka Jr. & Fuego

2. David Finlay, Jushin Liger, KUSHIDA, The Panther & Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI, Boby Zavala, Hechicero & Okumura

3. Juice Robinson & Atlantis vs. EVIL & Tetsuya Naito

4. Mexican National Welterweight Championship: Barbaro Cavernario (c) vs. Titan

5. CMLL World Welterweight Championship: BUSHI (c) vs. Mascara Dorada

6. Ryusuke Taguchi, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Dragon Lee vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Virus

7. Volador Jr. & Mistico vs. Ultimo Guerrero & Mephisto

2016/01/23 (Sat) 4:30 AM EST Tokyo Korakuen Hall:

1. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Titan & Mascara Dorada

2. KUSHIA, Juice Robinson & Fuego vs. Hechicero, Gedo & YOSHI-HASHI

3. CMLL Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championship: The Panther & Guerrero Maya Jr. (c) vs. Boby Zavala & Okumura

4. Ryusuke Taguchi & Stuka Jr. vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Barbaro Cavernario

5. Tiger Mask IV, Atlantis & Jushin Liger vs. BUSHI, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito

6. CMLL World Lightweight Championship: Dragon Lee (c) vs. Virus

7. Black Cat Memorial Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Volador Jr. & Mistico vs. Kazuchika Okada, Mephisto & Ultimo Guerrero

2016/01/24 (Sun) 4:30 AM EST Tokyo Korakuen Hall:

1. Sho & Yohei Final Sendoff: Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. The Panther & Guerrero Maya

2. Tiger Mask IV, KUSHIDA, Fuego, Stuka Jr. & Titan vs. Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI, Boby Zavala, Okumura & Hechicero

3. Lucha de Maestros: Jushin Liger vs. Virus

4. Mascara Dorada’s Final NJPW Match: Ryusuke Taguchi, Mascara Dorada & Atlantis vs. BUSHI, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito

5. Juice Robinson, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Dragon Lee vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Barbaro Cavernario

6. Mistico vs. Ultimo Guerrero

7. NWA World Historic Welterwight Championship: Volador Jr. (c) vs. Mephisto

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Kenny Omega has obviously stuck flag poles up people's asses. Imagine if that happened in a major match at Wrestlemania. There is a time and a place for that stuff, major shows isn't it.

Don't agree at all, think you're taking it all a bit seriously.

Don't agree at all, think you're taking it all a bit seriously.

So you'd be fine with what I described happening in a major match?

Undercard on a smaller show? Go nuts. Big title match on biggest show of the year? No place for it. Like I said, there is a time and a place for it. Wrestle Kingdom isn't it and thankfully Omega didn't get into it.

Imagine the United States title match at Wrestlemania ends up as a comedy match. The title would be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

gnfnrhead wrote:

gnfnrhead wrote:
    Undercard on a smaller show? Go nuts. Big title match on biggest show of the year? No place for it. Like I said, there is a time and a place for it. Wrestle Kingdom isn't it and thankfully Omega didn't get into it.

gnfnrhead wrote:
    Imagine the United States title match at Wrestlemania ends up as a comedy match. The title would be a joke.

gnfnrhead wrote:

gnfnrhead wrote:

gnfnrhead wrote:

I understand what you're saying and you are right to a degree and personally I agree with you.

Playing devils advocate though: Japanese fans have a seriously strange sense of humour, they tend to lap up the type of comedy that occurs in wrestling that the majority of us roll out eyes at!

Did you watch Omega at Korakuen the night after?

Guy's a megastar in waiting.

I think a bit of levity is fine anyways, the he'd toned down his entrance at WK and the interference on both sides didn't effect the finish really, I just enjoyed it, I don't take wrestling (even puro) that seriously.

Did you watch Omega at Korakuen the night after?

Guy's a megastar in waiting.

I think a bit of levity is fine anyways, the he'd toned down his entrance at WK and the interference on both sides didn't effect the finish really, I just enjoyed it, I don't take wrestling (even puro) that seriously.

I think we've got a disconnect. I had no issue with Omega at Wrestle Kingdom but I did fear the worst when he sprayed the hairspray down his trunks. Thought we were getting comedy Omega with a tonne of interference from the Young Bucks, which would mean a crap match, but they got that out of the way early and got down to business after. Omega has often ruined matches with his comedy antics and I was worried he was about to do the same here.

Omega was great at New Years Dash because it was serious Omega. He left the comedy at home and showed how good he is when he wants to be. If he wasn't so prone to falling back on comedy, we would see that Omega a lot more often. Hopefully with him moving from Junior to Heavyweight, he has left that part of his act behind.

• Advertisement

Nakamura gave an interview in Japan and said he was done at the end of the month. This is a problem. He is advertised for ROH in February and is obviously still the Intercontinental champion with no defences planned this month. Would be a very shitty move if he didn't finish up properly before leaving.

Advertisement