Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 gift voucher

Options
  • 28-11-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Was going to to buy a €500 for myself through my company, but lidl don't do them that big. Anyone know if the revenue would have an issue with 10 €50, but given as one gift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Revenue allow a total amount of vouchers worth €250 to be given to an employee tax free in any one tax year (Jan-Dec). It is expected that the legislation to increase this to €500 will be passed before the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Revenue allow a total amount of vouchers worth €250 to be given to an employee tax free in any one tax year (Jan-Dec). It is expected that the legislation to increase this to €500 will be passed before the end of this year.

The €500 limit is being applied by Revenue with effect from 22/10/2015... http://www.finance.gov.ie/ga/news-centre/press-releases/minister-finance-%E2%80%93-update-finance-bill-2015-small-benefits-exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

DmanDmythDledge, its ONE voucher up to the exemption limit

...every voucher after the first will be taxable even if total value of vouchers is less than limit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

BOHSBOHS wrote: »

...every voucher after the first will be taxable even if total value of vouchers is less than limit

A single benefit would an envelope with multiple vouchers amounting to €500 be non taxable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It does say that on the revenue site. Which is a bit stupid as lots of places dont do a €500 voucher. Ill ask my accountant anyway thanks

• Advertisement

You're reading that way too literally. A bundle of 10 x €50 vouchers in one go to one person is fine.

You're reading that way too literally. A bundle of 10 x €50 vouchers in one go to one person is fine.

That would make more sense, but you cant trust those feckers ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When this was introduced, One4All were almost the only game in town and were on paper only. You got a bundle of 20s and 10s for your 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Can you not just buy the 10 €50 vouchers in the one transaction so it'd show as one €500 transaction on your business account?

Can you not just buy the 10 €50 vouchers in the one transaction so it'd show as one €500 transaction on your business account?

Receipt would show 10 vouchers. Ill ask the accountant next week and let you guys know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

That's interesting. So as a self employed person can I give myself a 500 Euro voucher tax free?

worded wrote: »
    That's interesting. So as a self employed person can I give myself a 500 Euro voucher tax free?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/benefit-in-kind/faqs/miscellaneous.html#misc15

irishguy wrote: »
    That would make more sense, but you cant trust those feckers ;)

Oh, I can ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup, it's something I look forward to every year, used to be 250 but doubled this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

No - because you're not an employee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Proprietary directors of limited companys are entitled to the exemption too, but not sole traders.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

qualifying voucher’ means a voucher that is given to an employee by
    his or her employer in a year of assessment where the following
    conditions are satisfied:
    (a) the voucher does not form part of a salary sacrifice arrangement;
    (b) the voucher can only be used to purchase goods or services and
    cannot be redeemed, in full or in part, for cash;
    (c) the voucher cannot exceed €500 in value;
    (d) not more than one voucher can be given to that employee in any
    year of assessment

so sole traders need not apply - but propr directors and their gainfully employed spouses ;-) are ok

a voucher/ the voucher/ not more than one voucher =>
    seems pretty clear to me that a "bundle of vouchers" would not qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I don't think that rule is applied in practise. However, it was always possible to obtain a voucher for €250 anywhere so it was never really an issue. I can't imagine there would be a problem with a voucher for €500 and, if there is more demand for such amount because of the new legislation, places will start producing vouchers of that amount to avoid losing sales to competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Me2You vouchers are a good alternative to One4All and are accepted in a lot of stores.

toadfly wrote: »
    Me2You vouchers are a good alternative to One4All

In what way? I thought one4all were fairly universally accepted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So, just from what I gather, since they're talking about doing this in work for us, this is a 500 euro one4all voucher?

titan18 wrote: »
    So, just from what I gather, since they're talking about doing this in work for us, this is a 500 euro one4all voucher?

Yes.

Yes.

Feck. Hopefully they give me the choice to opt out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Our place has changed to Gift Card,
    Giftcards.eu
    The case you get is a prepaid MasterCard, so can be used anywhere you could use MC

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Our place has changed to Gift Card,
    Giftcards.eu
    The case you get is a prepaid MasterCard, so can be used anywhere you could use MC

That would be better tbf. I'd prefer to just get it into my bank account even if I have lose money to tax, at least I can do what I want with it. Being limited to certain stores would suck though.

Feck. Hopefully they give me the choice to opt out then.

Apologies, that's just in my experience.

qualifying voucher’ means a voucher that is given to an employee by
    his or her employer in a year of assessment where the following
    conditions are satisfied:
    (a) the voucher does not form part of a salary sacrifice arrangement;
    (b) the voucher can only be used to purchase goods or services and
    cannot be redeemed, in full or in part, for cash;
    (c) the voucher cannot exceed €500 in value;
    (d) not more than one voucher can be given to that employee in any
    year of assessment

so sole traders need not apply - but propr directors and their gainfully employed spouses ;-) are ok

a voucher/ the voucher/ not more than one voucher =>
    seems pretty clear to me that a "bundle of vouchers" would not qualify?

Jaysus. Stop trying to make this complicated, it really isn't - Revenue apply this thing in a reasonable way. If you can show you paid over the €500 and the employee can confirm they received it, nobody actually cares about whether it was 10 x €50 or 5 x €100. They'll really be stuck for something to argue about if it comes down to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd be a bit wary of the one4all vouchers. They're not accepted as widely as one may think.

Personally, I give my employees Dunnes vouchers. Whatever about hotels and phone shops, everyone has to get groceries. Best to be practical.

Contrary to some inaccurate info from another poster.....

For those thinking about giving a token or bonus to staff in the run up to Christmas, the Small Benefits Exemption Scheme represents the most efficient way of rewarding staff and can be both a tax saver and an effective employee incentive.

Under the Scheme, employers and employees can benefit from a reward of up to €500 (increased from €250 from 22 October 2015) in value completely tax free each year.
    The reward must be in non-cash form. (Most employers give a voucher).
    It must be a once-off reward, for example, if an employer gives each employee one single voucher (up to a value of €500 from 22 October 2015) in the year, the value of the voucher can be disregarded for PAYE/USC/PRSI purposes. However, if the employer gives two vouchers worth €250 each, the value of the first voucher may be disregarded but the value of the second voucher has to be included as notional pay for PAYE/USC/PRSI purposes.
    The reward cannot exceed the limit set down, for example, if the employer gives a voucher exceeding €500 then the value of the entire amount of the voucher must be taken as notional pay.
    The reward / voucher must be purchased from company funds i.e. from the company bank account or company credit card. The employee cannot purchase a voucher themselves and seek reimbursement from their employer.
    It cannot be part of any salary sacrifice arrangement between the employee and employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

In what way? I thought one4all were fairly universally accepted?

They are at the minute but Me2You are now in the market as competition with a much much lower commission rate so I can't see One4All lasting much longer or else they will have to cut their rates massively.

We are offering a voucher at work for the first year, choice of Me2You or Dunnes vouchers or through payroll as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Check with a One4All seller if you can purchase €50 X 10 vouchers with your €500 voucher

Problem solved

Advertisement