Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big-ass light

Options
  • 26-11-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭

My Light & Motion ARC NiMH finally died so I'm looking for recommendations for a big-ass light.

I like to do night riding so I'm looking for something with similar firepower, though preferably a little cheaper than the €300 that one cost me (though at €33/year it was a good investment).

Has the LED tech caught up to halogen at this point? What's available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If the ARC is 675 lumens then yes, many battery-powered LEDs have caught up (and passed this) in terms of raw output.

Even dynamo lights are over 300 lumens now (and there are diminishing returns from more output due to the "design" of the eye).

This thread is old but good, maybe read it backwards until you lose the will to live.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705708

For road use pick something with a sharp cutoff or else you'll be wasting light and blinding oncoming traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a cateye volt 700, 2 hours on maximum output. Approx 100 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm. Read through a lot of those posts. The hub thing sounds really interesting, I'll look out for that when next changing wheels.

For the moment I'm looking for a front light I can use on unlit, bumpy country roads, including descents. I think I need at least 500L, and 2.5 hours run time or can replace batteries while out (I have a local loop that takes me 2h25m).

Is there anything in the €100 range you guys would recommend?

Edit: looking at NiteRider Lumina 750 and Moon X-Power 780 EAGLE 600 Magicshine

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Trojan wrote: »
    Hmm. Read through a lot of those posts. The hub thing sounds really interesting, I'll look out for that when next changing wheels.

For the moment I'm looking for a front light I can use on unlit, bumpy country roads, including descents. I think I need at least 500L, and 2.5 hours run time or can replace batteries while out (I have a local loop that takes me 2h25m).

Is there anything in the €100 range you guys would recommend?

Edit: looking at NiteRider Lumina 750 and Moon X-Power 780 EAGLE 600 Magicshine

Xmoon power 780. Great light. Got mine for around 100 with Merlin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The Cateye 700 is more like 800 lumens and cheap, handy and easily recharged via usb.

There's the magicshine 858, it's 1k lumen and about 100 quid, both great, the cateye more versatile I think.

• Advertisement

The Cateye 700 is more like 800 lumens and cheap, handy and easily recharged via usb.

There's the magicshine 858, it's 1k lumen and about 100 quid, both great, the cateye more versatile I think.

I like the battery options available for the 858, there's a 2.2Ah, 4.4Ah and 6.4Ah. The 4.4 is standard online in some places and gives 3.5 hours on full power, plenty for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I have the new Cateye Volt 800 (800 lumens). Now 111 euros from Wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.com/cateye-volt-800-rc-front-light/

Used it tonight for repeats up unlit Cruagh Lane in Dublin. Plenty of light in fact I dimmed down whenever cars approached. Easy enough to do going through modes with taps on the well placed top button.

The true power of 800 lumens is shown when you take it off the bike & use it as a torch. Very impressive scanning the woods to look for deer.

USB rechargeable & the battery pack is interchangeable with the other Cateye Volts. Same mount has now been used by Cateye for a few years on lots of different models which is handy. I use the Cateye Volt 400 as my commuting light.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Cheers uphillonly. I was looking at that exact same light for use on that exact same hill and was wondering if it would do the trick. Can't get a more personalised review that that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Aldi have a one million candle power light at the moment for €20, couple of cable ties make an economical solution. Rechargeable too.

Cheers for the help folks! Decision made, I've ordered a 2015 MagicShine 858 (with the 4.4Ah battery by default). The 3.5 hour life at 1000 lumens sealed it.

£59.99 plus €3.50 ParcelMotel = ~€88. Will let you know how it compares with the L&M ARC.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Cheers for the help folks! Decision made, I've ordered a 2015 MagicShine 858 (with the 4.4Ah battery by default). The 3.5 hour life at 1000 lumens sealed it.
    That's an off road light. MagicShine don't claim it is safe for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

<snip>
    Do you ever stop to wonder if what you're about to post might be completely inane before firing it on up?

Seriously. What's your deal?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cateye are good for these type of lights as the reading for 700 is taken at the point the battery warning light comes on, unlike other similar style lights that take the reading at the highest point.

In light tests, they are consistently above their stated output. So my 300 is only close to 300 at the moment the low battery light comes on and is above it before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jeepers, the definition of what a "Big ass light" is seems to be quite low here...

I think my NR Lumina 800 is just about adequate for the roads.. Off-road it's a backup light...

buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.bumm.de/ would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Big ass-light[/URL].

Slightly disappointing that googling big-ass light give results (mainly) SFW

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Jeepers, the definition of what a "Big ass light" is seems to be quite low here...

I think my NR Lumina 800 is just about adequate for the roads.. Off-road it's a backup light...
    One of the most powerful trail lights is the Exposure Six Pack, which has a claimed output of 4000 lumens (and Exposure is a very well regarded manufacturer, so I believe them).

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/exposure-lights/cycle-lights-2016/six-pack-mk6

Its illumination has been measured as 4,710 lux @ 1m:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

This gives an equivalent viewangle of about 60 degrees according to this calculator:

http://www.ledrise.com/shop_content.php?coID=19

...assuming constant illumination across the beam pattern, and (mathematically) 47 lux @ 10m.

The most powerful (presumably SVTO-compliant) dynamo light from B&M, the IQ-X, has a claimed illumination of 100 lux @ 10m (and I don't disbelieve it).

So the "big ass" 4000 lumen off-road light may produce only half the effective illumination of the pothole you're trying to avoid compared to the "small ass" few-hundred-lumen roadie light.

This is why Strada produce road-specific lights, which have the mutual benefits of both putting the light where you need it on the road and not blinding oncoming traffic. You'd get a much worse view of the trees though.

Using powerful off-road lights on the road is both dangerous and cunterproductive.

edit: the centre-spot illumination of the NR Lumina 750 was measured by road.cc at 782 lux @ 2m, which is about 31 lux @ 10m, so assuming the 800 is a bit better it's not that far off the illumination of the Exposure Six Pack albeit with a much narrower beam.

If I had my way i'd have the Lumina 800 and the older 750 on the bars, which had a strobe blinking mode, great for getting noticed by cars...!

If I had my way i'd have the Lumina 800 and the older 750 on the bars, which had a strobe blinking mode, great for getting noticed by cars...!
    I find a cheap flasher is a good companion to a decent continuous light. Any old crap will do, even the coin-battery operated ones, whereas flashing high-intensity lights decrease safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I got a couple of years back a really big-ass light. It would be mental to use it on the streets, it would blind anyone and everyone around. For off-road it's fun because it illuminates the whole forest giving you creepy shadows all around the place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Using powerful off-road lights on the road is both dangerous and cunterproductive.

+1 its like the people who fit HID lights themselves on their cars, who think they are great, they are not, they are never aligned, blinding and overall create an incredible danger to other road users.

CramCycle wrote: »
    +1 its like the people who fit HID lights themselves on their cars, who think they are great, they are not, they are never aligned, blinding and overall create an incredible danger to other road users.
    I assume this is illegal since factory-fitted HIDs have to be self-levelling.

I find a cheap flasher is a good companion to a decent continuous light. Any old crap will do, even the coin-battery operated ones, whereas flashing high-intensity lights decrease safety.

That's a matter of opinion for sure!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Blinding oncoming traffic increases the risk of an accident

Blinding oncoming traffic increases the risk of an accident

Sales page for the "Blackhawk Gladius".

High-intensity crimefighting with next-generation strobe lights
    http://www.policeone.com/police-products/duty-gear/flashlights/articles/1353541-High-intensity-crimefighting-with-next-generation-strobe-lights/
    The latest technology is strobing lights. If you haven’t seen them, we’re talking about variations of small high-intensity lights that have strobing capability. Sounds cool of course, but the obvious question is: what benefits does strobing provide?

Here are some of the claims made:
    1. Causes disorientation and blinding
    2. Causes peripheral vision disabling
    3. Limits the ability to get accurate fire on you
    4. Induces fear and/or indecision

...we’re all familiar with the blinding effect of 60 or more lumens in the eyes of a suspect

Great, no more road rage:
    Better yet, do so unexpectedly while they are trying to perform a moderately complex task—like attacking you. They will likely stop in their tracks

Great, no more road rage:
    No, just different road rage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It all depends what you want from a light. You'll want a different kind of light if you need to illuminate the road ahead, as with the old bullet-shaped bike lights with their visor to direct part of the beam downwards; or if you want oncoming drivers to see you among the other lights in traffic.

• Advertisement

That's an off road light. MagicShine don't claim it is safe for road use.

I'm ok with that. Technically I'll be using it on roads, but ... well what else would you use here?

There's an xkcd for everything :)

Advertisement