Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay HSE by card?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have our meeting with the HSE on Monday to register our intent of marriage. Obviously we will have to pay the fee to proceed with this. I was wondering if anyone knew whether the have the facilities to pay by card at this meeting or will I need cash?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Don't know where you are but you can pay by card in the one in Limerick, i'd imagine all the others are the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know we paid in cash in Cork I didn't get the feeling they would accept card but then again they more than likely would

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladybird37

Thanks Guys, I'm based in Dublin.

Do you need to pay the travel expenses at this meeting too? Otherwise, I will just bring the €200 in cash. It was more a case of not knowing how much I would need if you do have to pay the travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I paid cash but could have paid card in Cork. they said I could pay the travel expenses closer to the wedding - they actually gave me the travel expenses over the phone so i knew what it was but we're spreading payments out.

That's great. Thank you all for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We're in Monaghan for our meeting on Tuesday. Got a letter saying that the total amount of almost €440 is due on the day of the appointment, but no mention of how it can be paid! I'd be utterly astonished if they even had a machine for taking card payments so we're bringing it in cash and on the off-chance that they insist on card, OH will have to drive like a madman to the bank to lodge it!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

We paid by card in the Dublin office.

Hi Everyone,
    Just an update to let you know in case someone else has this question.

We were able to pay by card in the Dublin office. We paid the €200 fee and they asked us to pay the travel expenses then too.

Another tick off our list. Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Ladybird37 wrote: »
    We were able to pay by card in the Dublin office. We paid the €200 fee and they asked us to pay the travel expenses then too.

Probably a stupid question, but what are the travel expenses in relation to?
    Just trying to figure out this part of the wedding prep.

No such thing as a stupid question!

The travel expenses are for the Registrar to come to the venue to marry you there. Everyone who is getting married whether it be church, humanist, civil etc. pays the €200 registration fee & the travel fees are added to this if you are having a civil ceremony outside of the registry office.

My total fee was €367.23 but obviously the expenses all depend on where they have to travel too.

• Advertisement

No such thing as a stupid question!

The travel expenses are for the Registrar to come to the venue to marry you there. Everyone who is getting married whether it be church, humanist, civil etc. pays the €200 registration fee & the travel fees are added to this if you are having a civil ceremony outside of the registry office.

My total fee was €367.23 but obviously the expenses all depend on where they have to travel to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caraconneelt

Ours was 431 altogether, 200 for the usual amount that everyone pays and then a further 231 for the registrar to come to the venue which would be 35 to 40km from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Do they give a breakdown of the mileage rate they use? €231 sounds extortionate for a 40km trip!

fannymagee wrote: »
    Do they give a breakdown of the mileage rate they use? €231 sounds extortionate for a 40km trip!

My form just had the amount they charge per km and the amount of km they had to travel. Our solemniser is coming from Cavan Town, which is about 50km away from us.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My form just had the amount they charge per km and the amount of km they had to travel. Our solemniser is coming from Cavan Town, which is about 50km away from us.

Sorry that's what I meant, how much do they charge per km? At the rate mentioned above it'd be in the region of €5 per km... Surely not?!

Sorry that's what I meant, how much do they charge per km? At the rate mentioned above it'd be in the region of €5 per km... Surely not?!

I cant remember what rate was on ours because they kept the form when we registered. 450-500 is pretty common for a total amount, though.

I used to work for the HSE and they paid me 40c/km. Feckers!!! ;-)

We didn't get a breakdown but our venue is only 18.3km (according to google maps) away from their offices and our extra cost was €167.23. Which works out about €8 per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

17km, €196.21 - so 34km return trip.

I think it also covers insurance of the registrar either in transit or at the venue. That makes sense if a 40km trip is only 40 euro more expensive than a 17km trip? There must be a base cost included.

I'm flabbergasted (well, not really- it's the HSE) that they have such massively different mileage rates for different staff!! I couldn't claim a penny unless my journey was over 30km, and even at that, 40c/km wasn't going to cover insurance, depreciation etc- it just about covered fuel. If I was still there I'd be kicking up blue murder!! Although now I'm an independent celebrant so they could possibly tempt me back with those rates haha ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

How long does the intent to marry appointment take? My local office only appointments on Tues, weds and Thurs which are also the only days I work!

michellie wrote: »
    How long does the intent to marry appointment take? My local office only appointments on Tues, weds and Thurs which are also the only days I work!

We were there 20 minutes but had absolutely everything ready and to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We were there 20 minutes but had absolutely everything ready and to hand

Perfect will do that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The €200 is the registration fee, the rest covers the registrars time and mileage, they are not getting that high a rate for mileage. It was all broken down for us when we got married in February but I'd have to go looking to find it now again

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

We had our appt in Dublin city centre office this morning and paid the €200 fee by debit card.

We were called bang on our appt time and were in and out in 20
    Mins. We had everything to hand and no problems with our paperwork.

Only thing that annoyed us was that after we get married we have to re-register our children's births to reflect the marriage as they are considered "illegitimate" prior to marriage. Seriously, it's 2015 Ireland, get with the programme. Grrrr!!

We had our appt in Dublin city centre office this morning and paid the €200 fee by debit card.

We were called bang on our appt time and were in and out in 20
    Mins. We had everything to hand and no problems with our paperwork.

Only thing that annoyed us was that after we get married we have to re-register our children's births to reflect the marriage as they are considered "illegitimate" prior to marriage. Seriously, it's 2015 Ireland, get with the programme. Grrrr!!

And pay for the new birth certs to boot! Im having a second baby any day now and Ill have to register her twice in 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

And pay for the new birth certs to boot! Im having a second baby any day now and Ill have to register her twice in 12 months!

You're joking?! Jeez I don't think he mentioned any cost, maybe he did and in my inner rage I didn't hear. FFS do children of divorced couples have to get new birth certs?? I don't think so.

Sorry I know I'm way off topic but it's really piddled me off that some children in this country aren't treated as equals to others. Jesus.

You're joking?! Jeez I don't think he mentioned any cost, maybe he did and in my inner rage I didn't hear. FFS do children of divorced couples have to get new birth certs?? I don't think so.

Sorry I know I'm way off topic but it's really piddled me off that some children in this country aren't treated as equals to others. Jesus.

Unfortunately not joking at all! I saw it mentioned online when applying for the appointment and asked about it. €20 for each new birth cert after I register them both again. Just because I decided to have kids first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Never heard this, why exactly do we need to register our kids again??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And he'll stay down there will be?
    That's an 80km round trip, all in probably 4 hours. Just over 50 an hour isn't a bad rate

Advertisement