Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 - Time to tick NO

Options
  • 25-10-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

So 2016, Irish people have another opportunity to identify their religion.

277,237 ticked no religion in the 2011 census
    I believe we can make that 500,000 :)
    I'm very optimistic.

Please like this page and share if you're on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/timetotickno

#timetotickno

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Zamboni wrote: »

I'm very optimistic.

I'm doing my little bit here.

#timetotickno

Why do you care if people tick no or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'm very optimistic.

I'm doing my little bit here.

https://www.facebook.com/timetotickno

#timetotickno

why would somebody with no religion tick anything other then no?

You made a Facebook page... To tell people that they can tick a box if they don't follow a religion? Are you afraid that they won't be able to see that themselves or?

why would somebody with no religion tick anything other then no?

"I have no region... But I'm going to tick Muslim just because I'm feeling exotic."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Haha
    It's targeted at all the cultural Catholics who don't really practice anymore.
    Not already existing atheists.

• Advertisement

Haha

Again, why do they need you to make a Facebook page about it? If someone has decided they are not religious anymore they'll tick no... If not they'll tick yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I care about the separation of church and state.
    The state use CSO statistics to justify all sorts of church interference into Irish life.
    School patronage, funding chaplaincies in Third Level, controlling many hospitals and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    "I have no region... But I'm going to tick Muslim just because I'm feeling exotic."

How many ticked RC in the last census but are non-practising? They don't believe in god and don't go to mass, but self-selected RC and in many cases selected RC for their children.

The census should paint an accurate picture of the state.

Indeed, it's an offence to lie on the census.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

The state use CSO statistics to justify all sorts of church interference into Irish life.
    School patronage, funding chaplaincies in Third Level, controlling many hospitals and so on.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    How many ticked RC in the last census but are non-practising? They don't believe in god and don't go to mass, but self-selected RC and in many cases selected RC for their children.

The census should paint an accurate picture of the state.

Indeed, it's an offence to lie on the census.

Oh, FFS........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Would you not go behind a cause that is important rather than this crap? Who gives a ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My brother had an almighty row with our father during the last census. My dad insisted the brother go down as Catholic even though he has identified as atheist since his teens. My father's reasoning was that those baptised into a faith had to put down that faith on the census. Its a view someone else I know had reinforced by a census enumerator, who when asked said if you're a baptised Catholic you have to tick Catholic on the census.
    I think it's a valuable campaign. We'll be identified as no religion for the first time since getting married and have two children to tick the box for now.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Would you not go behind a cause that is important rather than this crap? Who gives a ****?

Which causes would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lazygal wrote: »
    My brother had an almighty row with our father during the last census. My dad insisted the brother go down as Catholic even though he has identified as atheist since his teens. My father's reasoning was that those baptised into a faith had to put down that faith on the census. Its a view someone else I know had reinforced by a census enumerator, who when asked said if you're a baptised Catholic you have to tick Catholic on the census.
    I think it's a valuable campaign. We'll be identified as no religion for the first time since getting married and have two children to tick the box for now.

I agree. My husband insisted on ticking Catholic despite not having been near a church in thirty years. His logic was he was baptised so he had to tick it. I think some people genuinely don't think about it too much or don't really understand the question. If it makes people think it's a worthwhile campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A census enumerator was telling people that? :eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

ejabrod wrote: »
    Oh, FFS........

Eloquent.

Anything else to say on the matter?

Do you understand what the CSO is trying to do?

pinkypinky wrote: »
    A census enumerator was telling people that? :eek:
    Yes. Said if you're baptised into whatever Christian faith or raised in whatever faith then you should tick the relevant religious box rather than no religion. Couldn't understand the no religion/write your own faith in options at all and implied they weren't for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes. Said if you're baptised into whatever Christian faith or raised in whatever faith then you should tick the relevant religious box rather than no religion. Couldn't understand the no religion/write your own faith in options at all and implied they weren't for Irish people.

In fairness it is vague. It doesn't have an atheist option so I can see why some people might think it refers to the faith you were given rather than what you've chosen for yourself. I really hope atheist is included next year to give a more accurate picture.

eviltwin wrote: »
    In fairness it is vague. It doesn't have an atheist option so I can see why some people might think it refers to the faith you were given rather than what you've chosen for yourself. I really hope atheist is included next year to give a more accurate picture.

I would not tick the atheist box either. It's not a religion. Last time we put down no religion. My children will be put down as no religion this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, the last time, the CSO used a spurious argument about needing to keep the question in the same format so they could compare/contrast with other censuses. But (as a genealogist), they have changed the question formats in the past, and indeed added a lot of questions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

eviltwin wrote: »
    it won't be, no religion is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Again, why do they need you to make a Facebook page about it? If someone has decided they are not religious anymore they'll tick no... If not they'll tick yes.

Why do you feel the need to make multiple posts about it if you don't think it's important?

As above.

If fairness and equality in accessing state services don't matter to you, then carry on as you are.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Its a view someone else I know had reinforced by a census enumerator, who when asked said if you're a baptised Catholic you have to tick Catholic on the census.
    A census enumerator once suggested that to me.

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Dades wrote: »
    A census enumerator once suggested that to me.

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

More important, which box did you tick?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I'll probably tick Catholic, wouldn't want anyone thinking I was one of them Protestants, like.

I'll probably tick Catholic, wouldn't want anyone thinking I was one of them Protestants, like.

Wow. Much cool.

No one will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

If you have a religion that you don't practice, and don't believe the core beliefs of, then you probably don't have a religion.

I mean come on, how many people in Ireland who say that they are Catholic actually believe that Jesus was the son of God, Mary was a virgin, little wafers turn into flesh when a preist does a magic spell on them, etc, etc? It's just not believable. I don't understand how it survives in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

They do ? How ? The state and all the main political parties are anti-church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Haha
    Surely those who feel they are cultural Catholics should be ticking Catholic though? Or ought they to get a separate 'cultural Catholic' tickbox? Maybe set up a Facebook page for that one too.... I suppose they could fill it in under 'other religion' this time around.
    The state use CSO statistics to justify all sorts of church interference into Irish life. School patronage, funding chaplaincies in Third Level, controlling many hospitals and so on.
    Is there any evidence of that? Certainly with regards to school patronage, any of the stuff we've seen posted on A&A suggests the State gives weight to parental expressions of interest and diversity of provision; there's no mention of CSO statistics in the tender processes.
    Hospitals under religious control tend to be hospitals that were actually set up by religious orders, don't they?
    As for chaplaincies, I'd certainly be interested in seeing any info that demonstrates that they are based on CSO statistics. Any chance of a link?

Advertisement