Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry leaving Q.I.

Options
  • 14-10-2015 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

after the current season to be replaced by Sandy Toksvig as host. Can't say I can see her being a good host of this show, but that's probably just because Fry IS Q.I.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Stopped watching it ages ago anyway since it got dumbed down so much. Sandy Toksvig is a sensible replacement though but I'd be surprised if it ran much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully they will move Alan Davies on now as well and freshen up the whole show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Hopefully they will move Alan Davies on now as well and freshen up the whole show.

Yeah he's another reason why I stopped watching now that I think of it. The whole "Alan is thick" joke got very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Huge shame!

Sandy Toksvig, while she seemed very intelligent on any episodes I've seen her on, lacks the wit and warmth of Stephen Fry IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They have the perfect replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm so heart broken. I tried to get tickets a couple of times but wasn't successful and now he's leaving. Sandi really is the best replacement they could have gone for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He is staying which is a problem for the programme as he is the idiot pupil to Fry's headmaster so without that dynamic Davies doesn't really have a role.

Not a particular fan of Ms Toksvic either to be honest, expect lots of shiny gay women as guests from series N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Toksvig presented a radio comedy panel show on Radio 4 called The News Quiz for ten years. She brings lots of experience from that. I think she'll be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Love Sandy but Stephen is a big loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If I had to go down a list of these token female "comedians" they're mandated to shoehorn into panel shows these days and find the absolute worst choice guaranteed to ruin a programme it would be Sandy fcuking Toksvig, she is brutal.

Victoria Coren is wasted on Only Connect because of its boring format, she should have gotten QI, that would even have improved it, a bit sick of Stephen Fry these days.

• Advertisement

If I had to go down a list of these token female "comedians" they're mandated to shoehorn into panel shows these days and find the absolute worst choice guaranteed to ruin a programme it would be Sandy fcuking Toksvig, she is brutal.

Victoria Coren is wasted on Only Connect because of its boring format, she should have gotten QI, that would even have improved it, a bit sick of Stephen Fry these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She is very mannered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not a particular fan of Ms Toksvic either to be honest, expect lots of shiny gay women as guests from series N
    Just like all those shiny gay men Stephen had on the show ... who are the female equivalents of Jimmy Carr, Bill Bailey or Jeremy Clarkson?

I've listened to the News Quiz podcast for years, so I have no worries about Sandi's credentials for this job. Fry wasn't even supposed to be the presenter at all - he was originally the other team captain, but then Michael Palin pulled out from the presenter job. (Would Palin have lasted 13 seasons?)

Remember also that they have excellent writers, who happen to have their own excellent podcast (No Such Thing as a Fish), and they aren't going anywhere. Stephen's hosting of QI has become a bit of an institution ... and who wants to live in an institution? 8)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

She was great on Whose line back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Absolutely depressing news, this was the only thing on BBC worth watching and it joins Top Gear and other iconic shows that will be worthless without their stars

Just kill the BBC, put it out of its misery

Thargor wrote: »

I don't mind Victoria Coren but Only Connect suits her because the show is boring. I think QI would be painful with Victoria Coren at the helm. Sandi is extremely quick witted and is actually very intelligent also. Of all the female comedians out there, she is the best. Of all male and female potential QI hosts out there, she is still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Sandi is the best choice to replace Stephen. However, I think they should have just pulled the plug. I know Buzzcocks was far better when Simon replaced Marc (IMO) but when Simon went the whole guest host thing killed it for me. I don't see Sandi having the same Simon factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Absolutely depressing news, this was the only thing on BBC worth watching and it joins Top Gear and other iconic shows that will be worthless without their stars

Just kill the BBC, put it out of its misery

PC2jVbr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's a smart choice, so there won't be complaints of all male shows.

David Mitchell/Victoria Coren would've been better. Sure get Richard off Pointless, he has the charm.

I think Sandi is OK as a guest, one of the few female comedians who can outwit everyone imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I like Sandy as a guest but QI is Stephen Fry. Simple as that. Should have been contracted all the way up to Z ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

VC and OC are perfect match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Being listening to the News Quiz for the last few years and Sandi Toksvig is a great replacement for Fry. Certainly I'd expect Susan Calman to appear on a few more episodes ... but I wouldn't complain if some of the news quiz regulars like Andy Hamilton popped up on QI a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

QI is Stephen Fry !

Without Stephen Fry there is no QI !

Awwww. :( I do like Sandi Toksvig but I really can't imagine QI without Stephen Fry.
    It did seem like it was being dumbed down a bit, with quite a few very unfunny and/or dull guests on it, but still had moments of greatness.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I don't mind Victoria Coren but Only Connect suits her because the show is boring. I think QI would be painful with Victoria Coren at the helm. Sandi is extremely quick witted and is actually very intelligent also. Of all the female comedians out there, she is the best. Of all male and female potential QI hosts out there, she is still the best.
    Dara O Brian would be best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no. I'm so sad.
    I think they made a mistake making each series a letter. Stephen is QI and now it's going to be ruined half way through. :(

Dara O Brian would be best.

I wouldn't have minded him either.

I think what's important is that they have someone who gives the appearance that they actually have quite a bit of knowledge. I think that's why Sandi, David Mitchell and Dara O'Briain would work. You'd believe that they just happened to know the stuff!
    I just checked wikipedia there and she has been the winner on nine occasions that she has been on the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Toksvig is as good a fit as any: it was quite clear the role Stephen Fry was playing was of the slightly exasperated (boarding school type) teacher, the poor unfortunate trying to herd the children around him; and this is something someone like Toksvig would do just as well, herself having a very dry wit & delivery, and she comes across as a very clever person in her own right. She's no Stephen Fry - who is! - but she's as good a fit as any. Dara O'Brian is a very funny, clearly intelligent guy also, but his comedic form & delivery doesn't really match the kind of role the QI head is likely seen as.

Truth be told I stopped religiously watching QI a year or so ago anyway: the humour really had started to lean on toilet jokes & innuendo as a default response, it had got quite tiresome. The guests too seemed to dip in quality, which ultimately killed the fun for me. Johnny Vegas in my QI? No thank you sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Truth be told I stopped religiously watching QI a year or so ago anyway: the humour really had started to lean on toilet jokes & innuendo as a default response, it had got quite tiresome. The guests too seemed to dip in quality, which ultimately killed the fun for me. Johnny Vegas in my QI? No thank you sir!

Same as myself really.

However I do differ on Johnny Vegas. I actually thought he was ok on QI, it's Phil Jupitus that I hate as a guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Did they ask Michael Palin?

He was to be the original host but turned it down :)
    He could have been convinced this time with a couple of weeks work in May/June on a now successful show.

Advertisement