Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Martian (Ridley Scott)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

No point going to it now, feel a saw everything from that trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

"I'm left with only one option, science the sh1t out of it"

I lol'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jesus that has to be one of the most spoilery trailers I've ever seen. It basically showed the whole book.
    Donald Glover is in this? Well, I'm sold.

Troy & Abed saaaving Waaa-tney.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is the book as corny as the trailer makes this look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is the book as corny as the trailer makes this look?

Yes. There's a lot of similar humor, some of it a bit cringey but I like it in general. Really good book though, so looking forward to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

wrt40 wrote: »
    What a great success story for the author Andy Weir.

Just to say, for anyone interested, there's a big piece on him over at Tested.

The Talking Room: Adam Savage Interviews Andy Weir
    By Joey Fameli on June 11, 2015

http://www.tested.com/art/530871-talking-room-adam-savage-interviews-andy-weir/

YouTube embed:

Release date got bumped up almost two months. :D
    Now releasing Oct 2.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-martian-release-date-victor-frankenstein/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a new trailer out, but apparently it's as spoiler filled as the last one. Having read the book, makes no odds to me, but for anyone who wants to go in blind, or just expects a trailer to give you a taste, then avoid this.

EDIT: Just read back my post about the last trailer, haha, I think I've calmed down a bit over it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've recently read the book so personally don't care but that trailer gives away a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

pah wrote: »

I like most Matt Damon movies, but that line was so cringe worthy.

Its totally put me off the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pah wrote: »

thats the line that sealed by bro's interest in going to see this.

:D

i cant wait meself. look like alot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Havnt read the book. Maybe I missed something spoilery in the trailer ?

But I'm sure it won't play out different to what I assume I'll be walking into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going by the trailer, there's a subtle change to Wattney's personal life:
    iirc, he's single in the book, yet the trailer seems to suggest he has a wife & child back on Earth. I don't know why but that kinda of annoys me a little: his plight is sufficiently tense as it is - who couldn't empathise with his situation? It's not like Wattney lacks incentive to get off a barren planet - yet Hollywood looks to be insisting on that hoary narrative cliché of the family unit as incentive.
    It's a small thing for sure, and I hope it's just the trailer lying through its teeth, but for some reason it irks me more than it should!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going by the trailer, there's a subtle change to Wattney's personal life:
    iirc, he's single in the book, yet the trailer seems to suggest he has a wife & child back on Earth. I don't know why but that kinda of annoys me a little: his plight is sufficiently tense as it is - who couldn't empathise with his situation? It's not like Wattney lacks incentive to get off a barren planet - yet Hollywood looks to be insisting on that hoary narrative cliché of the family unit as incentive.
    It's a small thing for sure, and I hope it's just the trailer lying through its teeth, but for some reason it irks me more than it should!
    I was thinking that might have been Martinez's family that was shown on screen and was just the trailer spinning things differently like they often do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I loved the book, read it and listened to the audiobook while driving, the audiobook was more enjoyable.. Think the trailer looks awesome, how I'd pictured a lot of it.. Cant wait for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More about the Hermes Mission to Mars, courtesy of Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In Cinemas September 30th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok so I went in as a big fan of the book and sceptical they could pull It off. But they nailed it. This film is awesome. There's a few moments where it feels like it's dragging but they cleverly remind you of the timescales involved in staging the stuff they have to do.
    Damon plays it perfectly. All the humour from the book is there and it works.
    And it looks ****in awesome! Didn't know we were gonna be seeing it in 3D but it worked better than any 3D I'd seen apart from avatar. Will definitely watch this again and recommend it.

Only saw one stupid sorta continuity thing but it was nothing. Go see it.

Ps writing an entire film off cos of one line is about as valid as writing it off cos you don't like the actors haircut 😂😂

The line happens to work perfectly well within context.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully it will be a million miles away from Brian De Palma's atrocious Mission to Mars and the only slightly better Red Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So they found water on Mars in real life so what way does this leave the movie. How did he get water in the movie ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That big announcement from NASA today...

What a coincidence that there's a blockbuster ,that they had a hand in, due for release right about now.

And it's set on Mars too! What are the odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So they found water on Mars in real life so what way does this leave the movie. How did he get water in the movie ??
    brought some with them and the rest was cracked from hydrazine fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That was a legit, 5 star sci-fi film. I loved it.

That line from the trailer isn't in the movie. The only family even mentioned are his parents

Agreed. It's top notch.

Pretty sure the line was in the one I saw but it's of no matter. Speaks to his humour in dealing with the situation quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Say this this evening. Fantastic movie. Great adaptation of the book and the pacing was perfect. It skimmed over some of the science, but that was necessary to keep it to 140 mins. I only saw the 2D version, but I'd be tempted to go back again to watch it in 3D. I brought my 8 year old daughter and she liked it too. There are a couple of fúcks and shíts, but the educational value and the positive portrayal of science easily outweigh that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

If theres one thing they portrayed different in the trailers than how it was in the film (not complaining per se)
    the trailer made NASA seem much more like dicks than they were in the film, like they were just going to abandon him on mars, whereas in the film NASA seems to spend that entire year and 7 months odd trying to get him back safely. Not complaining about the misrepresentation though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really enjoyed seeing it come to life, but I'd actually love to see a Director's Cut (and usually I don't care about Director's Cuts) at some point in which they add back in all the science they glossed over, because in the book it was the most fascinating part. It would only take some extra scenes with more personal logs from Watney, so I hope they did film more of it than what we saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Haven't read the book but really enjoyed the movie tonight. I would say I enjoyed it more than Interstellar or Gravity. Damon plays it well, the supporting cast are generally very solid (although I think Wiig and Bean were miscast). Also the soundtrack was really top notch. Reminded me of how I felt watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Scenes that may otherwise have been fairly unremarkable were brought to life but unexpected and clever song choices. Wouldn't be surprised if I caught this one again in the cinema. ****

Advertisement