Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Guys I have a tin of petersons whiskey if anyone wants it. Smoked maybe 2 bowls of it but it's not my cup of tea.

Rather give it to someone than leave it in the draw.
    I would take it and cover the postage if you could post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Seweryn wrote: »
    I would take it and cover the postage if you could post it.

Pm your address and Ill post it. No worries about postage costs.

Pm your address and Ill post it. No worries about postage costs.
    Thank you very much :).

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CMCA

Hey folks. I've just recently started smoking a pipe and am having a few problems you more experienced smokers could help me with.

1) I have read online that a smoker should have a few pipes on rotation in order to keep them from being damaged. Is this true? If so how many bowls per day can I get away with. I'm a student so I can't afford to have a few pipes.
    2) Taste. Today I let my pipe out to dry and I had some really nice tasting draws but I still have an issue with getting a hot damp draw that ruins the experience. Any tips?

Thanks

• Advertisement

CMCA wrote: »
    Hey folks. I've just recently started smoking a pipe and am having a few problems you more experienced smokers could help me with.

1) I have read online that a smoker should have a few pipes on rotation in order to keep them from being damaged. Is this true? If so how many bowls per day can I get away with. I'm a student so I can't afford to have a few pipes.
    2) Taste. Today I let my pipe out to dry and I had some really nice tasting draws but I still have an issue with getting a hot damp draw that ruins the experience. Any tips?

Thanks

Yeah thats true. It's recommended to have at least 3-4 pipes for rotation purposes. I wouldn't use the expression 'Damaged' but I would say I rotate to prevent too much moisture, build up of cake and ghosting.

To prevent a damp draw I would recommend leaving your pipe cleaner in the pipe after cleaning. This way it will obsorbe any left over moisture after cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rainysmoker

Hello everyone,

New pipesmoker here. I was just wondering if there's a club or a pipe meeting I could join?
    Just started the hobby a couple of months ago, still figuring things out:)
    I'm 24 by the way, working in Dublin in the hospitality industry.
    Look forward to see some interactions here!

Cheers,
    RainySmoker

• Registered Users Posts: 35 soCKrates

Is this thread still active? I've recently picked up a pipe (a Peterson's standard 303) Anybody like aromatics? I got a tin of Nutty Cut as well and I'm not a fan. Would anybody like to do a swap? I only smoked 2 bowls out of it. I prefer the Elizabethan Mixture.

I would also like to know of any clubs or pipe meetings around, I'm in Offaly but I can travel

Hey soCKrates,

Welcome to the forum (I'm new too).
    I am looking for a pipe club too but no luck yet. The closest I found is in the north.
    How is your pipe? Do you like it? I am thinking of getting a Peterson, next month maybe. I want to order tobacco first and saving for that. I have a few cobs, a Mario Grandi poker and a Rattray's Short Fellow. Love all of them, the poker is my favourite, it's tiny and smokes great!

soCKrates wrote: »
    Is this thread still active? I've recently picked up a pipe (a Peterson's standard 303) Anybody like aromatics? I got a tin of Nutty Cut as well and I'm not a fan. Would anybody like to do a swap? I only smoked 2 bowls out of it. I prefer the Elizabethan Mixture.

I would also like to know of any clubs or pipe meetings around, I'm in Offaly but I can travel
    Hi Sockrates,

I am interested in your Nutty Cut, but I mainly smoke aromatic stuff. The least aromatic tobacco I can offer you is this one or this one. Unfortunately, both pouches are half way through.
    But let me know what you think.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the forum also!

I like my pipe so far, just not the aromatic tobacco I got with it, I don't find it too pleasant but maybe it will grow on me. I'm still forming the cake on my Peterson standard 303 rustic. Its not too bad looking but i like the feel of it in my hand.I do prefer the wooden finish though, so my next pipe will definitely be wooden.

If you are getting a Peterson I'd recommend the premier ones, they have a nicer look to them. It is a bent pipe though, so the smoke is always nice and cool. The rustic pipe holds the heat very well, which is always good as I tend to hog it a lot haha

I was just having a look on a danish pipe shop, some of the pipes they have are really nice and I'll probably make a purchase from there. I'll get a straight pipe next to add some variety.

I'm not too knowledgeable on pipes ATM but I had a quick look at the Marion Grandi. I'm not too fond of the shortness but the briar is very nice looking! Is the smoke not too hot when it reaches your mouth? What's your favourite blend so far?

I love rustic and blasted pipes! Don't know why, just love them. Some smooth pipes look like antique furniture to me...:) when you say your next pipe will be wooden what do you mean? Rustic pipes are briars too.
    I am.thinking of getting a Donegal Rocky or the Mark Twain Poker or tankard, whatever they call it. I love their Fisherman and Dracula series too!

The Danish Pipe Shop seems like a great place and they have a wide selection! I would love to order from them. They carry Dagner pipes and Fat Bastard Pipes, both of them are relatively cheap and good quality pipes. Look them up!:) they also sell Samuel Gawith's Brown Sugar Flake, that's exclusive for them and loads of smokers praise that tobacco.

My Mario Grandi is really short. The Ratray's isn't too bit either. They give a nice smoke, not too hot. Heat depends on the speed you are puffing. If you smoke fast you get hotter smoke.

My favourite blends so far? Hmmm... I like Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. That is sweet but a nightmare to dry it in this country, it's extremely humid here. I like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. I made a tobacco press recently and pressed it, it looks amazin and smells like figs and raisins. The color darkened as well, I look forward to try it. I have a no name blend from J. Fox in Dublin. Well, that wasn't my favourite until I pressed it, now it smokes nice and cool. Flavours are better, it's kind of smoky and heavy. I also have Mac Baren's Plumcake whick is a navy blend, quite spive but not as spicy as the Salty Dogs plug I have! That is the madness! Nicely compressed tobaccos, cased with rum. Contains Latakia, a lot, so it's strongly peppery.

What are your favourites?

What kind of wood is a rustic pipe made of? When I read the description it didn't say it was made with the same briar in the non rustic version of the same pipe. So I honestly didn't know what material it was made from. Well, I meant I'm getting a pipe where I can see the grain in the briar. Maybe something like the silver mounted army. There's so much of a selection I'll be researching for a good while before I make my mind up. There's so many on the danish shop website too, some are quite expensive but some of the cheaper ones are pretty decent looking. The nording viking for example. I like the grain in those!

The pipe I have doesn't burn hot and the smoke isn't hot in my mouth either, it may be the combination of the rustic pipe and shape of the mouthpiece. Either way, I need to learn to stop myself before I get into the habit.. I literally only have the pipe a week so everything is very new to me.

As for tobacco, I've only the Nutty Cut and Elizabethan mixture.. ATM I really like the  Virginias in the mixture, so I'm going to try Orlik golden sliced and maybe some Escudo in my next batch. Only problem is I have to import that stuff and I'm not sure how the taxes and duty will work out. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm curious about this no name blend from Fox's, I haven't saw it online when I was buying my Elizabethan mixture, it wasn't one of house blends like Hibernia was it? Maybe I should call in to the shop one day and see what I'm missing!

I had a look on Google for those brands and couldn't find much info or any reviews about them. Cheers for the offer but I'll stay clear of the aromatics for a while :)

I like custom made stuff. Earlier this year I contacted the manufacturer asking to make a pipe for me from briar (they have the same model off the shelf but made from pear wood). They also offered to put my boards name on the pipe and include higher quality mouth piece. Love it, and the price was very reasonable.

21732231895_834724ab7d_z.jpg

Nice pipe! The colour is nice and dark and I like those bowl shapes in general. Which place made that up for you Seweryn?

Nice pipe! The colour is nice and dark and I like those bowl shapes in general. Which place made that up for you Seweryn?
    Thanks.
    It is a pipe maker from Poland. I have a contact details to the sales man I made the deal with. If you ever need a pipe like that one, let me know.

What kind of wood is a rustic pipe made of? When I read the description it didn't say it was made with the same briar in the non rustic version of the same pipe. So I honestly didn't know what material it was made from. Well, I meant I'm getting a pipe where I can see the grain in the briar. Maybe something like the silver mounted army. There's so much of a selection I'll be researching for a good while before I make my mind up. There's so many on the danish shop website too, some are quite expensive but some of the cheaper ones are pretty decent looking. The nording viking for example. I like the grain in those!

The pipe I have doesn't burn hot and the smoke isn't hot in my mouth either, it may be the combination of the rustic pipe and shape of the mouthpiece. Either way, I need to learn to stop myself before I get into the habit.. I literally only have the pipe a week so everything is very new to me.

As for tobacco, I've only the Nutty Cut and Elizabethan mixture.. ATM I really like the  Virginias in the mixture, so I'm going to try Orlik golden sliced and maybe some Escudo in my next batch. Only problem is I have to import that stuff and I'm not sure how the taxes and duty will work out. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm curious about this no name blend from Fox's, I haven't saw it online when I was buying my Elizabethan mixture, it wasn't one of house blends like Hibernia was it? Maybe I should call in to the shop one day and see what I'm missing!

Rustic pipes are briars too unless stated otherwise. Probably the grain isn's as good on them so they are rusticated but quality should be the same.

Most pipest say it isn't as easy to to get addicted as woth cigarttes. I used to smoke cigarettes and I gave up on them a few months ago but missed smoking. I mean I missed my ritual of rolling one and smoke it and enjoy it. I had to realise I was missing out, pipe smoking is much enjoyable and i'm not addicted. I never feel the urge to go and smoke.

I'm going to order Orlik too, later this year. Flake tobacco is a pain to dry out in Ireland but totally worth it. Humidity here is really testing my patience:) If i can suggest try DAN Tobacco. German company, ships fast and delivery cost 8.90 under a kg. I ordered from them recently and planning to try their other stuff too.

The blend I have is one of Fox's house blend I just don't know which. I wish I remember because it is quite good if I press it.
    Oh, are you on Instagram btw? If yes, check my page out, my usename is the same.

Some pics you have there on Instagram

Thanks Faith+1! Are you on Instagram yourself too?

• Advertisement

Thanks Faith+1! Are you on Instagram yourself too?

No unfortunately. I Must upload some of the pipes and tobacco I have though!

No unfortunately. I Must upload some of the pipes and tobacco I have though!

Give me a follow whenever you sign up! Great community on there!
    Are you based in Dublin?

Rustic pipes are briars too unless stated otherwise. Probably the grain isn's as good on them so they are rusticated but quality should be the same.

Most pipest say it isn't as easy to to get addicted as woth cigarttes. I used to smoke cigarettes and I gave up on them a few months ago but missed smoking. I mean I missed my ritual of rolling one and smoke it and enjoy it. I had to realise I was missing out, pipe smoking is much enjoyable and i'm not addicted. I never feel the urge to go and smoke.

I'm going to order Orlik too, later this year. Flake tobacco is a pain to dry out in Ireland but totally worth it. Humidity here is really testing my patience:) If i can suggest try DAN Tobacco. German company, ships fast and delivery cost 8.90 under a kg. I ordered from them recently and planning to try their other stuff too.

The blend I have is one of Fox's house blend I just don't know which. I wish I remember because it is quite good if I press it.
    Oh, are you on Instagram btw? If yes, check my page out, my usename is the same.

I gave up the smokes recently too. I tried the ecigs for a while and just wasn't for me.. There was something about charging it up in a USB that made me cringe. As well as that, my ecig cartridge's always broke in my pocket. So I went and bought a pipe and here I am! I was never really addicted to cigarettes so having the occasional pipe would suit me grand.. And picking up a new hobby is always good too.

Yea, I'll give DAN a try, I had a look at some of the blends and I'll have to learn a few words of German so I don't end up ordering some dodgy tobacco! Its a pity Ireland doesn't have a decent selection of tobacco. I'd love to try some Esoterica and Orlik blends. Maybe when I work my way through a few tin's I'll go and press some of my favourites together myself.

Not on instagram ATM.. I'll set up an account, I'm interested in seeing your shots.

As for the humidity, have you tried a dehumidifier in the room you're drying in,.it might work a treat.

Thanks.
    It is a pipe maker from Poland. I have a contact details to the sales man I made the deal with. If you ever need a pipe like that one, let me know.

Cheers Seweryn, I appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Al_An

I've been away for a little while and saw new posts after coming back.
    Just want to say hello to all new pipe smokers and new members of this forum.

I like custom made stuff. Earlier this year I contacted the manufacturer asking to make a pipe for me from briar (they have the same model off the shelf but made from pear wood). They also offered to put my boards name on the pipe and include higher quality mouth piece. Love it, and the price was very reasonable.

Hi there. Really nice pipe.
    I also have one pipe made in Poland. Worobiec nr 84. It's a sort of a half bend bulldog with fat walls. Reasonably priced and it smokes very well.
    Maybe one day I come to you asking for the details of the pipe maker.

Hello,
    Your tobacco cakes from the DIY press you made look great. Do you say the tobacco after this process gain new characteristics? Well done.

Also wanted to make sure the DAN Tobacco company you mentioned – is that danpipe dot de? (sorry I'm not allowed to type in urls here).

Their "sparpacks" looks good. Too bad my german is so rusty.

I gave up the smokes recently too. I tried the ecigs for a while and just wasn't for me.. There was something about charging it up in a USB that made me cringe. As well as that, my ecig cartridge's always broke in my pocket. So I went and bought a pipe and here I am! I was never really addicted to cigarettes so having the occasional pipe would suit me grand.. And picking up a new hobby is always good too.

Yea, I'll give DAN a try, I had a look at some of the blends and I'll have to learn a few words of German so I don't end up ordering some dodgy tobacco! Its a pity Ireland doesn't have a decent selection of tobacco. I'd love to try some Esoterica and Orlik blends. Maybe when I work my way through a few tin's I'll go and press some of my favourites together myself.

Not on instagram ATM.. I'll set up an account, I'm interested in seeing your shots.

As for the humidity, have you tried a dehumidifier in the room you're drying in,.it might work a treat.

Good job on the cigs, bro! I couldn't smoke one now. I also love the wide selection of tobaccos I can try now!

I use Google Chrome's built in translator. It works perfectly! I even emailed them in English and they replied in English. Look around and check tobaccoreviews.com too! Search what you find interesting and look up what other people say! It's cheaper than here anyway and if you end up with somethind you don't like press it/case it with spirits and press/case it with spirit and let it age/trade it...the possibilities are endless! Check reddit, there's a section called pipetobacco, you'll find some interesting posts over there!

I haven't tried the dehumidifier but I may invest in one. I use my desk lamp after a day of drying. I usually leave the tobacco on a piece of paper for a day and before smoking I put it under the lamp for 30 mins.

Al_An wrote: »
    Hello,
    Your tobacco cakes from the DIY press you made look great. Do you say the tobacco after this process gain new characteristics? Well done.

Also wanted to make sure the DAN Tobacco company you mentioned – is that danpipe dot de? (sorry I'm not allowed to type in urls here).

Their "sparpacks" looks good. Too bad my german is so rusty.

Thank you, mate! Yes, characteristics change a bit, my Peterson Sherlock Holmes had a light brown colour and after a week of pressing it turned black/dark brown! It smells a bit sweeter, too.

Yes, it's danpipe.de. I found ther shipping costs are the lowest! They have a wide selection of house blends amd even blending tobaccos which I want to try myself! Don't be scared with the language, use the translator in your browser!

Where are you usually smoke your pipe? Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a balcony or a small back garden with a roof, so I smoke on the front stairs but it's getting cold now. Is it ok to go to pubs and smoke a pipe? I'm don't want people think I'm smoking illegal stuff just because I smoke a pipe.

• Advertisement

Thank you, mate! Yes, characteristics change a bit, my Peterson Sherlock Holmes had a light brown colour and after a week of pressing it turned black/dark brown! It smells a bit sweeter, too.

Yes, it's danpipe.de. I found ther shipping costs are the lowest! They have a wide selection of house blends amd even blending tobaccos which I want to try myself! Don't be scared with the language, use the translator in your browser!

Where are you usually smoke your pipe? Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a balcony or a small back garden with a roof, so I smoke on the front stairs but it's getting cold now. Is it ok to go to pubs and smoke a pipe? I'm don't want people think I'm smoking illegal stuff just because I smoke a pipe.

Thanks man. Maybe I will try to press my tobacco sometime soon too.
    Thanks a million for the tip on DAN Tobacco. They have loads of tobacco that is new to me and the prices are very good. Managed to get through without using much translator ;)
    I ordered some flake in larger bag and they have already shipped it with DHL.

I smoke my pipe wherever I can. Just open windows wide and I somke away ;) Missus likes the smell so I'm grand.
    But I smoke in parks and in public. Sometimes you may get a smirk from people but often you will get compliment on your tobacco too. Don't care if they presume you smoke funny stuff.

Advertisement