Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway gay/bi informal social group

Options
  • 11-09-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Well, being a guy that just happens to be gay I have a lot of sound friends but few of these are gay and I am wondering if there is any interest from sound gay / bi guys in the Galway county / city area for an informal social group?

It would be a great opportunity for guys in the area to meet up in a small informal group for coffee, chats, pints and craic, meals out, walks, hikes, comedy gigs, cinema, music gigs, theatre, weekend breaks or whatever.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you thought about setting something up on meetup.com

It works well for DIGS, Running Amach and Wet and Wild

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

No, I never thought of that. Just said I would try this and see how much interest there would be.
    Have you thought about setting something up on meetup.com

It works well for DIGS, Running Amach and Wet and Wild

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DonDraper

Hi Jay,

Sounds like a great idea, I'd definitely be interested.

As Joey said above, meetup.com might be a good place to set up a group and see if there's much interest. There's also an LGBT singles weekend coming up at the end of September on Clare Island so that could be a good way for people to get introduced.

DonDraper wrote: »
    Hi Jay,

Sounds like a great idea, I'd definitely be interested.

As Joey said above, meetup.com might be a good place to set up a group and see if there's much interest. There's also an LGBT singles weekend coming up at the end of September on Clare Island so that could be a good way for people to get introduced.

I'm not sure if the meetup website would work as a lot that are interested might not be out and so wouldn't want to post on the site as it's linked to their Facebook account. Do you think there would be a good interest in it? Clare Island sound like a good option for the romantics out there though!

Jaymacc wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the meetup website would work as a lot that are interested might not be out and so wouldn't want to post on the site as it's linked to their Facebook account. Do you think there would be a good interest in it? Clare Island sound like a good option for the romantics out there though!

You can have different privacy settings on it so not everyone sees all your details and I think it doesn't have to be linked to facebook either. It works really really well for the 3 groups I just mentioned. I think it might actually work tbh.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You can have different privacy settings on it so not everyone sees all your details and I think it doesn't have to be linked to facebook either. It works really really well for the 3 groups I just mentioned. I think it might actually work tbh.

Sounds good. Do you know if I set up a meet up group am I seen as the organiser? I am not out to all so won't be able to do it if that is the case!

Sounds good. Do you know if I set up a meet up group am I seen as the organiser? I am not out to all so won't be able to do it if that is the case!

You can set up the group name as organiser. Have you talked as well to the people behind the new Galway resource centre?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amach-LGBT-Galway/113113445418635

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

I think a Facebook group would be the most convenient.

You can set up the group name as organiser. Have you talked as well to the people behind the new Galway resource centre?

Is there enough interest in Galway though if I go setting up a meetup / facebook page? Just said I would check here and see what the response would be!

danube wrote: »
    I think a Facebook group would be the most convenient.

Again, does that require a page administrator and members would need to be willing to be visable. I am concious that some are not out and may not want to be visable due to the nature of their work etc.

• Advertisement

Is there enough interest in Galway though if I go setting up a meetup / facebook page? Just said I would check here and see what the response would be!
    You could set up a facebook page - see how it goes. A page does not need a public administrator.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not on Facebook but had a quick look at their group privacy page. There are three types of group - public, closed and secret. Anyone can see the members of a closed group so that's not ideal for people who aren't out. If it's a secret group then only members can see who else is in the group. You can only join a secret group if you're added or invited by a current member.

But for facebook pages there is no need to worry about privacy settings!!!!

Terry Pratchet

I'm not on Facebook but had a quick look at their group privacy page. There are three types of group - public, closed and secret. Anyone can see the members of a closed group so that's not ideal for people who aren't out. If it's a secret group then only members can see who else is in the group. You can only join a secret group if you're added or invited by a current member.

Yeah so there is another problem. Not all people are on Facebook whereas the meetup site is visable in search engines so you can spend the word easily. Meetup seems to be the best option. Anyone interested in setting it up or helping out with it?

But for facebook pages there is no need to worry about privacy settings!!!!

What about those not on Facebook? Metope seems the best fit.

I'd be happy to help out. If nobody wants to be publicly seen as the organiser we could set up the group name as organiser like Joey suggested.

In terms of numbers, I think there's bound to be some interest. Making it private rather than public might encourage people to join as well. There's a private meetup group for gay women in Galway and that has over 300 members.

I'd be happy to help out. If nobody wants to be publicly seen as the organiser we could set up the group name as organiser like Joey suggested.

In terms of numbers, I think there's bound to be some interest. Making it private rather than public might encourage people to join as well. There's a private meetup group for gay women in Galway and that has over 300 members.

Great. Will send you a message now and we can see how to go about it.

Wow 300 in the women's group. I wonder why there is no men's group already?

Yeah it's unusual but sure who knows, there could be a lot of interest once it's set up. You can't spell Galway without G, A, and Y after all!

Yeah it's unusual but sure who knows, there could be a lot of interest once it's set up. You can't spell Galway without G, A, and Y after all!

GAY, good one!! We will try up up a listing on Meet Up so and see how many hits we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

What about those not on Facebook? Metope seems the best fit.
    Set up a FB account? I never heard of "Metope".

• Advertisement

danube wrote: »
    Set up a FB account? I never heard of "Metope".

People not on facebook wouldnt know about the facebook page but meet up events seem to be found in google searches so that's what meet up seems to be the best option.

Autocorrect is in overdrive, that was meant to read 'Meet up'!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swine

I would be on for this. Quite surprising there's a female group in the hundreds and no male equivalent!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Meetup is a really easy site to join and navigate good luck with it .

swine wrote: »
    I would be on for this. Quite surprising there's a female group in the hundreds and no male equivalent!

Well we will set one up so. What kind of activities would people like to see on it?

Rachiee wrote: »
    Meetup is a really easy site to join and navigate good luck with it .

Thanks. If you are experienced with it you could lend us a hand in setting it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Norcop

What are you going to call this Meetup group?

Norcop wrote: »
    What are you going to call this Meetup group?

No name yet. You can create one if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

I might be interested if something was set up.

This is slightly off topic but there's also a volunteer open evening for the LGBT helpline in Galway next Thursday 24th September. Details are on Amach LGBT's website. It's a good cause and a way to meet people as well.

• Advertisement

Grey Wind wrote: »
    I might be interested if something was set up.

Great, any ideas about what events / activities you would like to see included?

Advertisement