Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Loughgall ambush a mistake by the British?

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Looking back with hindsight was the Loughgall ambush in 1987 were the SAS ambushed a killed 8 IRA volunteers a blunder by the British & just helped to prolong the conflict.

At the time the British Army viewed it as one of their greatest success in years. But like John Hume said the conflict was political not military.
    The years 1984, 1985 & 1986 were the lowest death tolls per year since 1970. For example 57 people died in 1985 due to the Troubles,1988 the year after Loughgall 104 people were killed almost double the amount from 1985.

The Loughgall funerals were the biggest Republican funerals since the 1981 hunger strikes & gave the Republican movement tonnes of publicity.

All I think Loughgall did was serve as a recruiting Sergent for another generation just as Bloody Sunday & the Hunger strikes did & it meant the IRA could recruit angry young nationalist men to carry on the war for another decade. And the effects were felt straight away. A year after Loughgall the IRA killed 6 British soldiers in a bomb attack in Lisburn the British Armies biggest loss since the Hyde Park bombings in 1982, just 2 months after the Lisburn bombing a bus full of British soldiers was blown up by the IRA killing 8 & injuring 29,the there was the Deals Barracks bombing were 11 British soldiers were killed.

And the death toll per year never went back down like it had done in the mid 1980's. From 1988 until the ceasefire the death toll per year was around the 85 - 100 mark.

And the British seemed to understand this themselves because the SAS team that went to arrest the Armagh Sniping team, which was probably the most ruthless unit since Jim Lynaghs they were ordered not to use force, because they didn't want to make more martyrs & have the peace process ruined.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Please don't overlook 'incidental' events like the Omagh bombing...

You seem to be privy to a lot of information about the SAS ROEs. Please feel free to enlighten us further.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

tac foley wrote: »
    Please don't overlook 'incidental' events like the Omagh bombing...

You seem to be privy to a lot of information about the SAS ROEs. Please feel free to enlighten us further.

tac

Well the Omagh bombing is a good example of what I'm talking about. The people who planted that bomb or were involved with the operation could have very easily joined the IRA in the wake of Loughgall. Loughgall imo was a Pyrrhic victory for the British.

Again like I said the IRA before Loughgall 1984 - 1987 was some of the IRA's lowest amount of attacks per year & beside a handful of "spectaculars" by the East Tyrone Brigade there wasn't much else.. By 1992 their attacks per year doubled since 1988 & kept rising in 1993 & 1994, if they continued 1994 without a ceasefire they probably would have close to the amount of attacks launched in 1981 & 1982, over 100 British forces were killed in those 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Aren't there rumors that senior republicans sold out their own at Loughall including an informer who was among the dead?
    At that time the Shinners were moving away from armed struggle and preparing to building purpose the path of democratic politics.
    The Walter Mitty types who continued to dream of Irish unification through armed struggle were edged out - imprisoned or killed by the security forces - to assist the rise of Adams and McGuinness who took over and eventually led the republicans into the ceasefires and ultimately decommissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Aren't there rumors that senior republicans sold out their own at Loughall including an informer who was among the dead?
    At that time the Shinners were moving away from armed struggle and preparing to building purpose the path of democratic politics.
    The Walter Mitty types who continued to dream of Irish unification through armed struggle were edged out - imprisoned or killed by the security forces - to assist the rise of Adams and McGuinness who took over and eventually led the republicans into the ceasefires and ultimately decommissioning.
    Yeah and the security forces allowed the billions of pounds of damage to London, Manchester etc just to strengthen Adams and McGuinness's hand in forcing the British govt concessions to SF/IRA. In fact did you know every member of the IRA was in fact a British double agent when the troubles kicked off in 1969 and on through the next 25 years. The British security forces, boy they sure fooled the whole world eh.

IRA_Bishopsgate.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looking back with hindsight was the Loughgall ambush in 1987 were the SAS ambushed a killed 8 IRA volunteers a blunder by the British & just helped to prolong the conflict.

At the time the British Army viewed it as one of their greatest success in years. But like John Hume said the conflict was political not military.
    The years 1984, 1985 & 1986 were the lowest death tolls per year since 1970. For example 57 people died in 1985 due to the Troubles,1988 the year after Loughgall 104 people were killed almost double the amount from 1985.

The Loughgall funerals were the biggest Republican funerals since the 1981 hunger strikes & gave the Republican movement tonnes of publicity.

All I think Loughgall did was serve as a recruiting Sergent for another generation just as Bloody Sunday & the Hunger strikes did & it meant the IRA could recruit angry young nationalist men to carry on the war for another decade. And the effects were felt straight away. A year after Loughgall the IRA killed 6 British soldiers in a bomb attack in Lisburn the British Armies biggest loss since the Hyde Park bombings in 1982, just 2 months after the Lisburn bombing a bus full of British soldiers was blown up by the IRA killing 8 & injuring 29,the there was the Deals Barracks bombing were 11 British soldiers were killed.

And the death toll per year never went back down like it had done in the mid 1980's. From 1988 until the ceasefire the death toll per year was around the 85 - 100 mark.

And the British seemed to understand this themselves because the SAS team that went to arrest the Armagh Sniping team, which was probably the most ruthless unit since Jim Lynaghs they were ordered not to use force, because they didn't want to make more martyrs & have the peace process ruined.

No, it was not a mistake. Nor was it a recruiting poster for the IRA. It was seen as a success for the SAS (as was Gibraltar) by the few who were interested; most people in the Republic were unconcerned about what happened, a few were only remotely interested and almost all quite unmoved by the IRA deaths.

What the IRA and its supporters for years failed to realise is that “support” must come from the 32 counties, not just the Six and some fringy Border areas, and a few urban poor. It is a question of “Hearts & Minds” not IRA death numbers. The IRA blew any possible support in the Republic with their indiscriminate civilian bombings, bank raids and common criminality. They also lost the support of the "old guard". Despite the Sinn Fein PR polemics about “patriots”, “victims”, “heroes” they were not seen as such by 99.999% of the Republic’s population – just look at the Sinn Fein election results back then in the 26. Nor were those killed at Loughgall “IRA Volunteers” they were paid soldiers, albeit not very good ones, their pay funded by the proceeds of bank raids.

Ask today “What happened at Loughgall?” and the vast majority of the population in the Republic would respond “Absolutely no idea!” nor would they care or have any interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Well the Omagh bombing is a good example of what I'm talking about. The people who planted that bomb or were involved with the operation could have very easily joined the IRA in the wake of Loughgall. Loughgall imo was a Pyrrhic victory for the British.

Again like I said the IRA before Loughgall 1984 - 1987 was some of the IRA's lowest amount of attacks per year & beside a handful of "spectaculars" by the East Tyrone Brigade there wasn't much else.. By 1992 their attacks per year doubled since 1988 & kept rising in 1993 & 1994, if they continued 1994 without a ceasefire they probably would have close to the amount of attacks launched in 1981 & 1982, over 100 British forces were killed in those 2 years.

Pyrrhic victory my arse. At Loughgall the Brits wiped out a full IRA team including some of their most senior members in the space of a few minutes. In the following few years the security forces were repeatedly able to ambush IRA units in East Tyrone because they either had informants, signals intelligence or due to the sheer incompetence of some IRA recruits. Twice later three man armed IRA teams were wiped out in ambushes (at Coagh and Drumnakilly). The idiotic attack on Clonoe RUC base was utterly incompetent and led to the deaths of four more IRA men.

Then we could go on to mention the glorious murder of seven protestant civilians and one part time soldier when the IRA blew up a bus at Teebane. What a proud day that was to be Irish!

I have no idea what kind of logic gets you to interpret what was very obviously a severe defeat for the IRA into a victory, and to honest I don't care. However, I would very much appreciate if you would post this kind of rabble rousing political bull-shyte elsewhere because it has nothing to do with either history or heritage.

No, it was not a mistake. Nor was it a recruiting poster for the IRA. It was seen as a success for the SAS (as was Gibraltar) by the few who were interested; most people in the Republic were unconcerned about what happened, a few were only remotely interested and almost all quite unmoved by the IRA deaths.

What the IRA and its supporters for years failed to realise is that “support” must come from the 32 counties, not just the Six and some fringy Border areas, and a few urban poor. It is a question of “Hearts & Minds” not IRA death numbers. The IRA blew any possible support in the Republic with their indiscriminate civilian bombings, bank raids and common criminality. They also lost the support of the "old guard". Despite the Sinn Fein PR polemics about “patriots”, “victims”, “heroes” they were not seen as such by 99.999% of the Republic’s population – just look at the Sinn Fein election results back then in the 26. Nor were those killed at Loughgall “IRA Volunteers” they were paid soldiers, albeit not very good ones, their pay funded by the proceeds of bank raids.

Ask today “What happened at Loughgall?” and the vast majority of the population in the Republic would respond “Absolutely no idea!” nor would they care or have any interest in it.
    It would be the strangest thing in the world if only "a few were only remotely interested" in the troubles as it dominated news headlines for almost 25 years. And this coming ironically from a fella who posts continually on the issue. As for asking the public about “What happened at Loughgall?”, likewise I suppose if you were to ask "What happened at Warrenpoint, Deal, Kingsmill, Ballygawley, Teeban etc" off the top of their head most people would look at you perplexed. But show anyone a headline or news report and to anyone who lived through the period it would bring back grim memories instantly. Death's all round, it shouldn't be anything to taunt others about.

Pyrrhic victory my arse. At Loughgall the Brits wiped out a full IRA team including some of their most senior members in the space of a few minutes. In the following few years the security forces were repeatedly able to ambush IRA units in East Tyrone because they either had informants, signals intelligence or due to the sheer incompetence of some IRA recruits. Twice later three man armed IRA teams were wiped out in ambushes (at Coagh and Drumnakilly). The idiotic attack on Clonoe RUC base was utterly incompetent and led to the deaths of four more IRA men.

Then we could go on to mention the glorious murder of seven protestant civilians and one part time soldier when the IRA blew up a bus at Teebane. What a proud day that was to be Irish!

I have no idea what kind of logic gets you to interpret what was very obviously a severe defeat for the IRA into a victory, and to honest I don't care. However, I would very much appreciate if you would post this kind of rabble rousing political bull-shyte elsewhere because it has nothing to do with either history or heritage.
    I'd agree with you about the theme of this thread (and all of his other threads) with some conspiracy theory about a "pyrrhic victory" and rabble rousing political bull-shyte. Mind you your not bad at it yourself, far from the security forces repeatedly able to ambush IRA units after Loughgall, it was the IRA in Armagh who got the retaliation afterwards instead such as 8 dead and 28 maimed at Ballygawley and 6 dead in Lisburn and the two senior RUC officers Buchanan and Breen coming from Dundalk. If that's what you call success for the British forces then what's failure ?

And may I also remind you that the trigger happy the SAS/RUC Special branch also managed to kill an innocent civilian and badly shot up another in their ' success ' at Loughgall for which no one was ever arrested or charged as usual.

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    I'd agree with you about the theme of this thread (and all of his other threads) with some conspiracy theory about a "pyrrhic victory" and rabble rousing political bull-shyte. Mind you your not bad at it yourself, far from the security forces repeatedly able to ambush IRA units after Loughgall, it was the IRA in Armagh who got the retaliation afterwards instead such as 8 dead and 28 maimed at Ballygawley and 6 dead in Lisburn and the two senior RUC officers Buchanan and Breen coming from Dundalk. If that's what you call success for the British forces then what's failure ?

And may I also remind you that the trigger happy the SAS/RUC Special branch also managed to kill an innocent civilian and badly shot up another in their ' success ' at Loughgall for which no one was ever arrested or charged as usual.

As usual your comment is inaccurate. I avoid posting on NI and rarely do so because the topic (a) attracts idiots who post rubbish (b) it bores me and (c) a response too frequently dignifies a post. The OP on this topic had about 300 views before Tac resurrected it with the first response.

I did live through the troubles, in the early days had to go to Belfast regularly and hated the bigotry of the place. The same type of bigotted s#1te is also to be seen today in places like Israel.

What people like you do not understand is that the vast majority of the people in the 26 initially were very pro the Nationalist side, particularly after Burntollet, with resurrected support again after Bloody Sunday, Widgery, being the main “triggers”. The “Troubles” were a turn-off, because of the IRA’s indiscriminate bombings and Sinn Fein’s weasely worded statements. That is what killed any possible support (or interest) in the 26.

“IRA Retaliation” - murdering a van of construction workers in cold blood is not “retaliation”, nor is taking out unarmed civilians and shooting them in cold blood (Kingsmill). That, along with drug trafficking and bank raids is why they never got support in the 26.

As for the accidental killing of the civilian in the SAS shootout, accidents happen. He and his brother were unluckily in the wrong place at the wrong time, wearing blue overalls, same as the IRA gunmen. Why do you think there should have been a trial for an accidental death, what would it achieve, and his family got an apology and a large payout. Not nice, but better treatment than the IRA gave hundreds of innocent civilians in London, Birmingham, Omagh, etc. etc.

So, most people in the 26 including those who lived through the Troubles didn’t give a rats about IRA getting killed, many were pleased, most did'nt and couldn’t care less today about Loughall, and the other places you mention., or even finding out about them. Go ask. And that is possibly one of the reasons why Sinn Fein is getting support today from the younger cohort of voters.
    Rubbish thread that will go nowhere interesting, goodbye.

At that time the Shinners were moving away from armed struggle and
    preparing to building purpose the path of democratic politics.

Yep, I've heard that, don't know if it's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me. That unit was the most ambush & how destroyed numerous barracks & RUC stations in the last 2 years prior to Loughgal, Ballygawley & the Birch's barracks being the 2 most famous. There operations were not aimed at killing people (nobody was killed in the Birches attack) it was just to destroy remote barracks & RUC stations just like the original IRA did in 1919 & 1920. Jim Lynagh & Paddy Kelly the leaders of the East Tyrone Brigade had drawn up plans for a full scale offensive using flying columns just like the original IRA. So it's very possible they were set up.

Anyway if they were being set-up the SAS could have made the area safe & they wouldn't have ended up murdering 2 civilians as well.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what your on about here to be honest, I never claimed that Loughgall was a knock out blow for the security forces. The fact that the conflict continued for nother 7 years makes this pretty evident. Listing off a number of other successful IRA actions doesn't alter the fact that the IRA in east Tyrone suffered more losses in the late 80s/early 90s than any other IRA unit.

I'm well aware that a civilian was killed at Loughgall and his brother was seriously injured. As far as I remember the two brothers happened to arrive at the scene wearing the same type of navy overalls that the IRA team were wearing.

By the by I don't understand why anyone can happily list off actions by the IRA then complain about the security forces being 'trigger happy' when they shoot armed IRA members. Surely that's to be expected in a conflict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

From the guy who claims bomb attacks on shopping centres is acceptable.

Usual hypocrisy from Joe.

What happened to the post by Riffmungus? Did he realise it was rubbish and remove it? (The one where he claimed the election of 2 TDs in 1981 was a major victory? ) What's happening?

Well we could on about collusion during the, Milltown, Greysteel & Loughinisland massacres. Or when the SAS killed a 15 year old boy who stumbled across 2 guns in Dunloy & when his father went to see the worst thing a farther could just before he seen it a SAS scumbag said to him "the other bastard is in there" & a pack of them giggled like little school girls. I'd imagine that's what most SAS are like, they think their making Clint Eastwood films. Or Brit Lee Clegg remember him? He got jailed for about 2 yearss for murdering 2 teens sitting in a car. Or the Brits murdering another 2 Catholic teens in 1990. But we won't get into that.

The team they "wiped" out at Loughgall (even though it was 8 vs at-least 36 SAS & about 20+ armed in support roles which is now 56 vs 8, if they didn't wipe them out they would have been useless there is no way the SAS could have possibly lost with so many people, if it was 8 vs 8 it might have been a different story) might have been experienced but they were causing little real trouble for the Brits, they didn't kill very many of them. Infact more Brits died in the following 6 years after Loughgall than they had in the previous 6 years before it That means the victory at Loughgall carried a heavy price, possibly to heavy which might make it Pyrrhic.

A year after Loughgall the British suffered their worst loss of life in 7 years when 8 were killed & 28 injured in a bomb attack in Ballygawley & just a month before that they lost another 6 Brits in Lisburn in another bomb attack.

In 1989 the IRA killed 11 British soldiers in Deal, England when they blew their barracks up and injured 21. That's already 26 IRA vs 11 SAS. A few months after that the East Tyrone Brigade ambushed a British Army checkpoint overrunning it & planting a bomb in it that only half exploded & they killed 2 Brits & injuring 2 more making their way into the compound
    A senior British military officer, when quizzed about the IRA attack, said
    They are murdering bastards, but they are not cowards. This team actually pressed home a ground attack right into the heart of the compound. That takes guts when there are people firing back
    So the East Tyrone brigade clearly were not on the run as you put it. The most the SAS killed after Loughgall was 4 in Clonoe & they killed 3 Volunteers about 3 or 4 times. They hardly had them on the ropes.

In 1990 the IRA counter-ambushed a Brit undercover unit in Cullyhana killing a lance sergeant.
    The sudden counter-ambush disrupted the British operation, and the officer in charge aborted it. He later stated that:
    In military terms, it was one of the IRA's finest attacks in South Armagh. They picked out the COP team in the most exposed position. With hindsight, it was the one weak link in the operation and it says something for the IRA's tactical and field skills that they identified that fact before we did.
    Just before that attack 4 Brits were killed when the IRA exploded a landmine under their patrol vehicle in Downpatrick, Down.
    In July of 1990 the IRA bombed the London stock exchange. That must have cost a few quid.
    And on the same day they killed 3 RUC in a landmine attack in Cullyhana.
    In October 1990 7 British soldiers were killed in IRA bomb attacks. A month later Thatcher retired.

At the start of 1991 the IRA mortared downing street which was a huge coup for Republicans & morale booster.
    Later in 1991 the IRA bombed a barracks in Glenanne killing 3 soldiers & injuring 14.
    Also in 1991 one of the most amazing ambushes by the IRA's East Tyrone Brigade took place when they fired a hidden mortar at a passing British Army Land Rovers killing 2 Brits & injuring another 2.

In 1992 the IRA bombed Balltic Exchange causing 1 billion pounds worth of damage
    A month later they attacked a British Army checkpoint killing 1 soldier & injuring 23.. The British Army's official report about this incident stated:
    "This was a well-planned and well-executed attack indicative of the imaginative, innovative and capable nature of South Armagh PIRA
    In August 1992 the South Armagh sniping team undertook their first successful shooting, killing a Brit in Crossmaglen.
    In October they undertook a huge operation wiping out the Irish Peoples Liberation Organization in Belfast in the space of a few hours killing their COS & keecapping dozens of others.

In 1993 the IRA bombed Bishopsgate causing almost half a billion pounds worth of damage.

In March 1994 the IRA mortared Heathrow several times. It was probably more show than anything a type of "when can hit when ever we want & where ever we want" action.
    Also in 1994 the INLA ambushed 3 top UVF Volunteers who also happened to be big agents for MI5, which like I said in the top of my post the Loughinisland ambush was revenge for this. Most UVF & UFF members were also agents that's why it was so easy for them to kill as many Catholics as they wanted without getting caught. That's why the LVF didn't last to long.

And between 1988 & 1994 the IRA forced 5 British choppers out of the sky,

Then in 1996 the IRA blew up the Docklands causing 100 million pounds worth of damage.
    On the 15th of June the IRA exploded the largest bomb on the British mainland ever. Even tho there were no deaths & only minor injuries The damage by the bomb was estimated by insurers at 800 million pound.
    Then in October the IRA infiltrated the British Armies HQ in Ireland & car-bombed it, killing a Brit & injuring 32 others.

At the start of 1997 the South Armagh killed the last British soldier during the PIRA's 1969 - 1997 campaign in Bessbrook,
    And in June the the IRA ambushed & killed 2 RUC officers the last to die until 2009 by the CIRA.
    And I only add this part in to show Loyalists have been like this for almost 20 years now. After Billy Wright was killed the LVF killed a Catholic & injured another 3. In a statement after the attack the LVF said:
    "This attack and future attacks lay squarely at the feet of republicans. For too long the Protestant people have watched their very faith, culture and identity being slowly eroded away".

Not a wonder Willie Frazer liked Billy Wright.

Anyway you might hate the IRA & that's fine, but your hatred is clouding your judgement. The half a dozen or so SAS attacks on the IRA were hard to swallow for Republicans but they didn't come close to to beating them. 91 IRA Volunteers or Soldiers of The Irish Republic (whatever you prefer) were killed between 1972 & 1973. The IRA went through much worse times like 1975- 1976 when they lost a lot of top people who were being arrested & they were struggling with funds & weapons. And just a week before 1976 the IRA's Balcombe Street unit who were causing mayhem around England especially London were arrested, if they kept going for another 2 years there's a big chance Britain would pull out of the North, the pressure with bombs on the mainland was enormous.
    But then they were gone & they admitted to the Guildford bombings.

Well we could on about collusion during the......... blah blah, blah..........Not a wonder Willie Frazer liked Billy Wright.

Your long, rambling post is long and rambling and mostly irrelevant - an utter waste of time on your part.

What on earth has collusion got to do with your original post? What has Lee Clegg and co. shooting joyriders 4 years later got to do with it? What have the INLA got to do with any of this thread?

I never claimed the Loughgall ambush was a knockout blow against the IRA, but it was most certainly a victory for the British Army.

While Bloody Sunday, internment, the hunger strikes etc, were own goals by the British Loughgall wasn't. Other than hard core republicans no one at the time really gave two hoots about it.
    Anyway you might hate the IRA & that's fine, but your hatred is clouding your judgement.

I don't hate anyone (well, except Martin Johnson). I just don't understand the logic that it's ok for the IRA to kill people but when IRA members are killed on active service it's an outrage. It's just what happens in a war.

As for 'clouded judgement' - people in glass houses shouldn't through stones.

And yet when 3 of them were killed in Gibraltar, their fan boys cried like babies.

And yet when 3 of them were killed in Gibraltar, their fan boys cried like babies.

Have to take issue with this Fred, I think the Gibraltar shootings were wrong.

Shooting unarmed people who could easily have been arrested is extrajudicial execution by the state. I don't believe that any of the British personnel involved genuinely believed that they posed an imminent threat.

It wasn't just republicans that questioned the validity of these shootings.

Have to take issue with this Fred, I think the Gibraltar shootings were wrong.

Shooting unarmed people who could easily have been arrested is extrajudicial execution by the state. I don't believe that any of the British personnel involved genuinely believed that they posed an imminent threat.

It wasn't just republicans that questioned the validity of these shootings.

Maybe, but people who glorify the cold blooded killing of British soldiers aren't really in any position to complain. The same goes for the fuss about the supposed shoot to kill policy.

I actually wonder about the History Forum Charter at times – is there not a racist clause, where expressions like “a SAS scumbag” and “Brits” should be queried? If another started posting about “Paddies” would there be a Moderator response?

My memory of the Gib shooting film - it was unclear if there was a gun/bomb trigger in the bag. If in doubt, shoot known terrorists. They signed up, they run the risk. Same with ISIS or whoever.
    The “Shoot to kill” question - in general people in the 26 did not have a problem with the “shoot to kill” bit, but what they thought was “wrong” was that the British Govt denied it. Were I armed and some self-described “patriot” came at me with a gun, I’d have no issues with shooting to kill. Basic common sense.

It would be nice to put Darky Hughes in a dark room with just one SAS guy and get him to read his posts. His trousers would soon have dark hues, a real REMF warrior!

Maybe, but people who glorify the cold blooded killing of British soldiers aren't really in any position to complain.

I can't disagree with that.
    The same goes for the fuss about the supposed shoot to kill policy.

'Shoot to kill' usually refers to 6 people shot dead by the RUC in the early 80s. when they could have/should have been arrested. The trouble with these shootings is that the Thatcher government was pursuing a policy of criminalisation at the time i.e. that paramilitaries were criminals not freedom fighters/combatants or the like. Thus, they should have been arrested.

One of those killed was a 17 year old called Michael Tighe who was not a member of any paramilitary his friend Martin MacCauley was seriously injured (MacCauley subsequently joined the IRA and was one of the Columbia 3).

It quickly became clear that the two teenagers had uncovered IRA weapons by accident and were just going to have a look at them when they were shot. The RUC claim that the teenagers had aimed the guns at them before shooting were shown to be untrue by the Stalker enquiry.

The PSNI historical enquiry team found that when they reviewed the case that a tape recording of the incident held by MI5 had been destroyed.

The shooting dead of an innocent teenager is the clearest example of why the shoot to kill policy was wrong.

The treatment of John Stalker and his team, the burning of his office (inside an RUC station) and the destruction of evidence is pretty clear evidence that those involved knew their actions were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I actually wonder about the History Forum Charter at times – is there not a racist clause, where expressions like “a SAS scumbag” and “Brits” should be queried? If another started posting about “Paddies” would there be a Moderator response?

r!

Infraction for back seat moderating. Report posts if you have a problem with them.
    In general your one sided nit picking is irritating and quite childish pedro. You should perhaps stick to threads that are not nationalist vs unionist in nature as your contribution in those threads is in marked contrast.
    Please take this on board as a friendly warning. If you wish to further discuss this then do it by pm.

Your long, rambling post is long and rambling and mostly irrelevant - an utter waste of time on your part.

What on earth has collusion got to do with your original post? What has Lee Clegg and co. shooting joyriders 4 years later got to do with it? What have the INLA got to do with any of this thread?

I never claimed the Loughgall ambush was a knockout blow against the IRA, but it was most certainly a victory for the British Army.

While Bloody Sunday, internment, the hunger strikes etc, were own goals by the British Loughgall wasn't. Other than hard core republicans no one at the time really gave two hoots about it.

I don't hate anyone (well, except Martin Johnson). I just don't understand the logic that it's ok for the IRA to kill people but when IRA members are killed on active service it's an outrage. It's just what happens in a war.

As for 'clouded judgement' - people in glass houses shouldn't through stones.

Yeah I'm not going to sit here & be insulted by you you were the one who brought Teebane up so I threw some stuff back at you, clearly you can't take as good as you give I wanted to concentrate on Loughgall & the aftermath.. I wasn't rambling I was telling you exactly 100% what happened in the years before Loughgall & the years after. Tell me what part of my post was lies? You can't face the facts that's your problem not mine. If your just going to insult me again don't bother replying to me because I wont sink to your level & reply back & get in a slagging match.

I think you were just hell bent on derailing the thread.

My memory of the Gib shooting film - it was unclear if there was a gun/bomb trigger in the bag. If in doubt, shoot known terrorists. They signed up, they run the risk. Same with ISIS or whoever.
    The “Shoot to kill” question - in general people in the 26 did not have a problem with the “shoot to kill” bit, but what they thought was “wrong” was that the British Govt denied it. Were I armed and some self-described “patriot” came at me with a gun, I’d have no issues with shooting to kill. Basic common sense.

It would be nice to put Darky Hughes in a dark room with just one SAS guy and get him to read his posts. His trousers would soon have dark hues, a real REMF warrior!

More personal insults, is that how all right-wing people react when they have facts thrown in their face? They don't like it all. That's 2 now.

I don't if pedro is looking for a fight but if you want a scrap pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

And just a week before 1976 the IRA's Balcombe Street unit who were causing mayhem around England especially London were arrested, if they kept going for another 2 years there's a big chance Britain would pull out of the North, the pressure with bombs on the mainland was enormous.
    But then they were gone & they admitted to the Guildford bombings.

By "causing mayhem" I take it you mean killing people.
    I don't know where you were in 1976 but I was "on the mainland" and if there was "enormous pressure" I didn't notice it.
    There wasn't going to be a pulling out from the north.
    By the mid seventies it could be seen as an extremely unlikely occurrence.
    The mainland bombings were big news - but there was nothing terminal about them - save for the deaths of people.
    Most of everyday life carried on.

Yeah I'm not going to sit here & be insulted by you you were the one who brought Teebane up so I threw some stuff back at you, clearly you can't take as good as you give I wanted to concentrate on Loughgall & the aftermath.. I wasn't rambling I was telling you exactly 100% what happened in the years before Loughgall & the years after. Tell me what part of my post was lies? You can't face the facts that's your problem not mine. If your just going to insult me again don't bother replying to me because I wont sink to your level & reply back & get in a slagging match.

I didn't insult you and I didn't say you lied about anything. I said your post contained a load of irrelevant waffle and I implied your grasp of logic was pretty much non-existent.

If your going to engage in public cranking over Loughgall then it's only fair that Teebane is brought up. You don't get to cherry-pick what can and can't be discussed in a discussion about history.
    I think you were just hell bent on derailing the thread

This thread was going to be a train wreck from the first post.

Infraction for back seat moderating. Report posts if you have a problem with them.
    In general your one sided nit picking is irritating and quite childish pedro. You should perhaps stick to threads that are not nationalist vs unionist in nature as your contribution in those threads is in marked contrast.
    Please take this on board as a friendly warning. If you wish to further discuss this then do it by pm.

In marked xcontrast to what? Your views? Just one hour after after I post I get an infraction. And all the other rubbish is ignored, for an age. Bias? How to kill a forum. As I said here Goodbye.

MOD EDIT>>> Yes Pedro, I am picking on you because I am biased against you.
    Refer to quoted text again as you missed it on first reading....<<<Moderator jonniebgood1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

if they kept going for another 2 years there's a big chance Britain would pull out of the North, the pressure with bombs on the mainland was enormous.

while your account for various deaths reads like a football score, there is no real evidence to back up
    if they kept going for another 2 years there's a big chance Britain would pull out of the North, the pressure with bombs on the mainland was enormous.

this claim
    Soldiers of The Irish Republic

I have never heard that term being used to describe members of the IRA, as it would suggest an acceptance of partition

Post deleted due to irrelevence.

I know you are trying to get banned Pedro so please go away and calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What is never mentioned in the usual tit for tat about Loughall is that at least 15 of the RUC in the building were seriously injured, to at least life-threatening level, so it wasn't just a one-sided "soccer score" of 8-0 and they joined the quite forgotten list of injured in the Troubles, which numbered about 30,000 by the time it ended.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It would be the strangest thing in the world if only "a few were only remotely interested" in the troubles as it dominated news headlines for almost 25 years. And this coming ironically from a fella who posts continually on the issue. As for asking the public about “What happened at Loughgall?”, likewise I suppose if you were to ask "What happened at Warrenpoint, Deal, Kingsmill, Ballygawley, Teeban etc" off the top of their head most people would look at you perplexed. But show anyone a headline or news report and to anyone who lived through the period it would bring back grim memories instantly. Death's all round, it shouldn't be anything to taunt others about.

Something that you seem to take great delight in doing...

tac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement