Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High performance Car insurance.

Options
  • 25-07-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonable quote for a Mitsubishi lancer evo 4? I Read through old posts on boards an tried a lot of them with no success.
    Xsdirect - no quote
    Chill - no quote
    123 - no quote
    FBD - no quote
    nononense - no quote, to name a few.

Quote is for 29yo female 3yrs NCB Full licience 12yrs and 12yrs driving expierence.

I understand the car is difficult to insure but not even to get a quote! I'm aware I can contact the regulator but I can only imagine what kind of quote that will be!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Was that online or did you ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

How old is your car? I was able to insure mine as a classic (which worked out perfectly as I also have and use a daily driver)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

celica00 wrote: »
    How old is your car? I was able to insure mine as a classic (which worked out perfectly as I also have and use a daily driver)

Insurers are well wide to this as in a lot of the jap imports - Skylines and the like - are now eligible, age wise, for classic / vintage insurance, they will not quote for them under classic insurance. If you have your own insured this way then you must have it for more 6 months because it's in the last 6 months they have cottoned on. Consider yourself lucky if you have it tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Insurers are well wide to this as in a lot of the jap imports - Skylines and the like - are now eligible, age wise, for classic / vintage insurance, they will not quote for them under classic insurance. If you have your own insured this way then you must have it for more 6 months because it's in the last 6 months they have cottoned on. Consider yourself lucky if you have it tbh!

This is classic irish insurance industry thinking "irish insurers are well wide to cars fulfilling conventional classic insurance terms and conditions being used as weekend/occasional cars, ye won't get away with carry on any more"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why would a girl need a high performance car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Pugzilla wrote: »

Are women not allowed to have high performance cars?

Are women not allowed to have high performance cars?

Most women have little interest in the 0-60 figures of a car. Maybe she's an exception.

Just wondering why she went to the trouble of getting this car considering the difficulties she may have getting it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

remembering your username from that AMA thread.

genuine question -

is there anything that an Irish person can do to get insurance on a Japanese import car anymore? performance or otherwise.

out of interest, as S.C. asks, if the cars meets the "classic" criteria for a classic policy and the proposer meets the criteria to take out a policy, why can't they have it?

another genuine question -

do you believe that soon, the only person in Ireland who will be able to insure a car is a 45 year old female accountant from Carlow driving a 1.2 diesel Golf.

seriously, it seems like if you are anything below 35 or above 50 you are getting loaded. any car that isn't a nearly new Golf or Focus is being loaded and every location is being loaded.

but really i don't need to be worried about my policy being loaded because if i don't quickly age by 20 years, get a sex change, buy a golf and move to Carlow, i just won't get a quote because companies aren't interested in taking on anyone who even poses the slightest most minuscule risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

remembering your username from that AMA thread.

genuine question -

is there anything that an Irish person can do to get insurance on a Japanese import car anymore? performance or otherwise.

out of interest, as S.C. asks, if the cars meets the "classic" criteria for a classic policy and the proposer meets the criteria to take out a policy, why can't they have it?

another genuine question -

do you believe that soon, the only person in Ireland who will be able to insure a car is a 45 year old female accountant from Carlow driving a 1.2 diesel Golf.

seriously, it seems like if you are anything below 35 or above 50 you are getting loaded. any car that isn't a nearly new Golf or Focus is being loaded and every location is being loaded.

but really i don't need to be worried about my policy being loaded because if i don't quickly age by 20 years, get a sex change, buy a golf and move to Carlow, i just won't get a quote because companies aren't interested in taking on anyone who even poses the slightest most minuscule risk.

You know it doesn't matter what you're gender is now, right? That's been done away with, all female rates have been raised to match male ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

bartbanis wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a reasonable quote for a Mitsubishi lancer evo 4? I Read through old posts on boards an tried a lot of them with no success.
    Xsdirect - no quote
    Chill - no quote
    123 - no quote
    FBD - no quote
    nononense - no quote, to name a few.

Quote is for 29yo female 3yrs NCB Full licience 12yrs and 12yrs driving expierence.

I understand the car is difficult to insure but not even to get a quote! I'm aware I can contact the regulator but I can only imagine what kind of quote that will be!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I've a Toyota GT86 and am insured with Kennco. Might be worth giving them a call.
    I get full comprehensive cover for less that €800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

bartbanis wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a reasonable quote for a Mitsubishi lancer evo 4? [...]

Shop around, try at least two brokers.

Additionally - I'm not sure if insurance companies can legally deny to quote you - as car insurance is obligatory thing in Ireland so IMO they have to give a quotation. It may be a good idea to report them to Financial Services Ombudsman.

https://www.financialombudsman.ie/

joujoujou wrote: »

Additionally - I'm not sure if insurance companies can legally deny to quote you - as car insurance is obligatory thing in Ireland so IMO they have to give a quotation. It may be a good idea to report them to Financial Services Ombudsman.

They have a right to refuse to quote, but they must give you a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

They're not obliged to quote, but if they decline you can ask for it in writing, if you get three declinature letters from 3 insurance companies you contact the declined cases board, and they will nominate one who will be obliged to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

I was given these as a possible contact for insuring performance car.
    http://www.powerinsurances.ie/private-car-insurance/

I don't have experience with them as I only found out after my renewal, but was told they can accommodate most cars.

Also most of the mentioned insurers would not entertain my 08 opc astra either, Performance car is an excuse/leprosy these days.
    days.

Unregistered Users

They have a right to refuse to quote, but they must give you a reason.
    They're not obliged to quote, but if they decline you can ask for it in writing, if you get three declinature letters from 3 insurance companies you contact the declined cases board, and they will nominate one who will be obliged to quote.

Thanks for explanation. Obviously the one obliged to quote would give sky high one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I can just see more and more uninsured drivers taking to the road because of the stupidity of insurance companies trying to cherry pick the market, This is a bad thing for the rest of us that are fully insured.

Liberty tried to enter the UK market were things are fairer and failed miserably. Japanese imports are much better cars than their European equivalents and I dont see myself driving anything else, in fact I try my best to encourage more people to drive them whenever I can.

Insurance companies are the bad guys, they need to be reformed here or the legal obligation needs to be relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Why would anyone?

Unregistered Users

Why not?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Why would anyone?

High performance cars are pointless considering a 5 grand sportbike will humiliate the vast majority of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

High performance cars are pointless considering a 5 grand sportbike will humiliate the vast majority of cars.

Economic cars are also pointless because a bicycle would humiliate all cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Why not?

True and yet its not the point. Nobody needs a high performance car. There isn't a public road in this country where you're allowed to driver faster than 120 km/h. We could technically all drive 1.4s with 90 BHP at max unless you're a farmer pulling a cow box if we're talking about need.

Pov06 wrote: »
    Economic cars are also pointless because a bicycle would humiliate all cars.

I think even an economy car will beat a bicycle in a drag race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Boskowski wrote: »
    Why would anyone?

There actually is a fairly strong case to say its pointless in Ireland. And I do agree to some extent. I've been lucky to drive and race some of engineerings best outputs in Europe and the US, and compared to here, its a joy. Your pride and joy in Ireland will either:

1) Be Stolen
    2) Cut you to the bone to tax
    3) Won't be insurable
    4) Destroyed / Disrespected in by the roads or in car parks.

Its far better to leave the country occasionally and enjoy them where they are meant to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Was that online or did you ring them?

i contacted all insurers by phone, decline ,decline and decline!

celica00 wrote: »

Its a 1997, would that qualify foe classic insurance??

tonedef wrote: »
    I've a Toyota GT86 and am insured with Kennco. Might be worth giving them a call.
    I get full comprehensive cover for less that €800.

I only tried these guys online and no quote, ill give them a call on monday. thanks

edburg wrote: »
    I was given these as a possible contact for insuring performance car.
    http://www.powerinsurances.ie/private-car-insurance/

I don't have experience with them as I only found out after my renewal, but was told they can accommodate most cars.

Also most of the mentioned insurers would not entertain my 08 opc astra either, Performance car is an excuse/leprosy these days.
    days.

ill give these a try on monday too, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

High performance sports bikes are pointless, considering even a Dacia Sandero means you don't have to dress up like a member of the Village People or get piss wet through, when you go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irishneo

whats the BHP of the car.

• Advertisement

irishneo wrote: »
    whats the BHP of the car.
    280 BHP, car is completely standard and unmodified.

Advertisement