Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Barefoot motoring

Options
  • 02-07-2015 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I've recently started driving barefooted and love it. It feels like you have a strange added connection to the motor. It feels kind of primal.

Has anyone ever tried it? Am I the only one? Have I lost the run of myself?
    Go on try it, you won't regret it.

I'm off now to sign myself in (:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do the pedals not then stink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I hate it. Have done it the odd time while at the beach etc definitely not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Do the pedals not then stink?

All part of the experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Isn't it dangerous as you can't apply maximum pressure to the brake pedal in an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

When we lived in Kerry I used to drive back from the beach barefoot. Easier than driving in sandy shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Potential Darwin award winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

As long as you are not bare back riding op, that's even more dangerous.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Isn't it dangerous as you can't apply maximum pressure to the brake pedal in an emergency?

No issues there. I tested it out. Whilst driving along I got a passenger to shout out dog......

myshirt wrote: »
    As long as you are not bare back riding op, that's even more dangerous.

Unless the car was fitted with roof pedals .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's illegal to drive barefoot or with flip flops in Spain and Portugal , big fines issued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

vandriver wrote: »
    Potential Darwin award winner.

:confused:

I know someone who always takes his shoes off while driving and swears by it.

The shoes don't buy you any extra pressure-exerting ability unless your brake pedal is covered in pointy objects

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've done it a few times. The issue I've had is I typically use toe braking. Grand when wearing a show, as you'll get an even application and better weight behind it. Barefoot, only my big toe is properly connecting. Have to alter my driving style when barefoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I drive barefoot from time to time on warm days - escpecially on runs to the beach. I love it. And it's not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

A friend of mine was a big fan of this until the beautiful warm sunny day he drove into town and ran out of petrol...he had to push the car to the side of the road and then walk barefoot to a petrol station and back again.
    After that he wasn't really a big fan of it any more... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A friend of mine was a big fan of this until the beautiful warm sunny day he drove into town and ran out of petrol...he had to push the car to the side of the road and then walk barefoot to a petrol station and back again.
    After that he wasn't really a big fan of it any more... :)

Well, but that's kinda different issue.
    Everyone should always carry in the car everything they need to keep going without the car (in case of accident or breakdown, etc).
    F.e. in witner time, I always take my warm clothes with me, even if I'm not planning to be outside at all.
    When I drive at -25 degrees, I have a whole set of warm clothes, in case I had to leave the car and walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

What is the difference between pushing on the inside of your shoe or on a rubber pedal? How can it be dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

realies wrote: »
    It's illegal to drive barefoot or with flip flops in Spain and Portugal , big fines issued.

There's a huge difference between wearing a flip-flop and being barefoot, though, surely?

A shoe that can readily slip off is a menace while walking, let alone while behind the wheel. Driving barefoot may not be as easy/familiar as while wearing a standard shoe, but it has to be miles better than driving while wearing something that has the potential to cause distraction and/or obstruction to the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Only if your break pedal is made out of lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Would never do it. My preferred driving shoe would be converse hitops. Very comfy and thin sole so you can get more feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Done it on occasion but I don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Depends on the pedals, mine are real chunky rubber pattern, kills the feet.

I'd be more worried on a warm day of your feet slipping off the pedals if they were a smooth type.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No issues there. I tested it out. Whilst driving along I got a passenger to shout out dog......
    That settles it so an imaginary dog :rolleyes: I've seen an accident where the driver was barefoot and it wasn't a dog it was a child that got knocked down.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That settles it so an imaginary dog :rolleyes: I've seen an accident where the driver was barefoot and it wasn't a dog it was a child that got knocked down.

And how was the driver being barefoot anything to do with the accident.

I've done it on occasion but personally I didn't like it but I don't really see how it's dangerous, you don't get magical powers from a pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I always drive in bare feet with the blowers set to the foot wells. On warm in winter, cool in summer! I find driving in work boots where you can't feel the pedals at all is far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Regarding it being smelly, you should wash your feet more often!

And how was the driver being barefoot anything to do with the accident.

I've done it on occasion but personally I didn't like it but I don't really see how it's dangerous, you don't get magical powers from a pair of shoes.

You've more surface area wearing shoes also you can apply more instant pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You've more surface area wearing shoes also you can apply more instant pressure.

Braking is assisted anyway, I doubt you could apply any more usable force wearing shoes.

Braking is assisted anyway, I doubt you could apply any more usable force wearing shoes.
    How do you mean assisted, did you ever have to slam on the brakes to stop suddenly? If you got a kick from someone barefoot and a kick from another person wearing boots, which would hurt most?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

How do you mean assisted, did you ever have to slam on the brakes to stop suddenly? If you got a kick from someone barefoot and a kick from another person wearing boots, which would hurt most?

The person with the best kicking skills

• Advertisement

The person with the best kicking skills
    Ok, smartarse the same person with boots and without if they gave you two running funts up the arse with and without boots?

Advertisement