Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The EU founders must be turning in their graves.
    The carry on from the dog-in-the-manger Brits who just say "no" or "I opt out" to everything EU related is to be expected but it more and more that all the other countries just put the supposed national interest first too and can't agree on anything. Depressing.
    The current crop of politicians don't seem to get that this issue (and many others) requires some collective action. If the EU countries don't "hang together they'll hang separately". They may be watching their electorates when trying to do nothing concrete & palm off all the migrants on the southern countries, but the fact remains none of the countries alone can solve this issue. If it worsens, they will still get it in the neck from the same electorates no matter how far their particular country is from the trouble zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mikeym wrote: »
    It was probably cheap.

With all thats happening in Europe over islamic extremists, desperate migrants and chancers from Ethiopia trying to claim asylum this government would need to get tough on migration like our friends in Australia and The USA.

Cheap,by our standards and a bit too "Westernized" after the 2011 revolution for the likes of our Islamiscist friends who would be aghast at elements of modern Tunisian governance such as..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia#Revolution
    .Rare for the Arab world, women held more than 20% of seats in the country's pre-revolution bicameral parliament. In the 2011 constituent assembly, women held between 24% and 31% of all seats

Our Jihadist minded friends streaming across the Mediterranian right now,will not be too keen on the likes of Frances Fitzgerald having much of a say in how they run their lives.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If the UK leave Ireland would be better off leaving also.
    no . the EU is better at supporting us then britain. britain most likely won't leave anyway, after all their MEPS won't be able to claim more expences if they do

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

mikeym wrote: »
    It was probably cheap.

With all thats happening in Europe over islamic extremists, desperate migrants and chancers from Ethiopia trying to claim asylum this government would need to get tough on migration like our friends in Australia and The USA.
    were very tough on immigration. australia and america still have lots of it and still have illegal immigration and a good bit of it to

Muckracker wrote: »
    Why not? What would happen to us without the EU?
    we would have no supports, we would have austerity unlike anything seen before. we would be back in the 1950s. we would be a third world country

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Cheap,by our standards and a bit too "Westernized" after the 2011 revolution for the likes of our Islamiscist friends who would be aghast at elements of modern Tunisian governance such as..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia#Revolution

Our Jihadist minded friends streaming across the Mediterranian right now,will not be too keen on the likes of Frances Fitzgerald having much of a say in how they run their lives.

our friends who there is no evidence most if any are Jihadist minded will get over it i'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

were very tough on immigration.

You're going to have to explain how or else I'm just going to presume that you're on the wind up. Ireland is anything but 'very tough on immigration.'

Our friends who there is no evidence most if any are Jihadist minded will get over it i'm sure

One significant piece of evidence before embarking on ANY individual checks,is the region from which the vessels are coming from.

That alone tells a sentient being,that the risk of Jihadist Infiltration is inherently greater...something which you,of course are free to ignore.

However,events such as todays,will certainly make European Authorities less inclined to ignore that increased RISK factor.

"Our Jihadist Minded" pals will certainly attempt to use the situation for their lunatic ends,aided and abetted by the shortest of the short sighted.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

we would have no supports, we would have austerity unlike anything seen before. we would be back in the 1950s. we would be a third world country

There's no way we'd become a third world country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You're going to have to explain how or else I'm just going to presume that you're on the wind up. Ireland is anything but 'very tough on immigration.'

EOTR must have missed the people rocking up in a plane recently and claiming asylum and not sent packing.

• Advertisement

There's no way we'd become a third world country.
    we would. we aren't able to support ourselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

That's a nonsense statement.

ah right.so would you support some of us doing a swap with some of the migrants.you could give up your stuff to some lad from afghanistan and then head over to his gaff and try your stuff there.....good deal ?

So how can we support all these Migrants ?

EOTR must have missed the people rocking up in a plane recently and claiming asylum and not sent packing.

Here's a family that rocked on up here with a tourist visa and decided to live here permanently. Got issued with temp stamp 3 and when they tried to renew it, refused due to not having sufficent funds and asked to leave the state. They leave for 90 days and come back. Apply for another visa. Have it refused again. Stay here 'undocumented' for two years and they were asked to leave again. They went to the media, there was a bit of an ould outcry and they have been issued with a stamp 4 visa.

http://www.thejournal.ie/kate-shannon-ware-south-kerry-ballinskelligs-granted-visas-2184403-Jun2015/

This is not how a proper country runs. This craic would not be entertained anywhere else in the west. Imagine trying this in Canada or in the US?

Here's a family that rocked on up here with a tourist visa and decided to live here permanently. Got issued with temp stamp 3 and when they tried to renew it, refused due to not having sufficent funds and asked to leave the state. They leave for 90 days and come back. Apply for another visa. Have it refused again. Stay here 'undocumented' for two years and they were asked to leave again. They went to the media, there was a bit of an ould outcry and they have been issued with a stamp 4 visa.

http://www.thejournal.ie/kate-shannon-ware-south-kerry-ballinskelligs-granted-visas-2184403-Jun2015/

This is not how a proper country runs. This craic would not be entertained anywhere else in the west. Imagine trying this in Canada or in the US?
    no the US just let you stay there for years. just don't get caught though

Agree completely. There are (I believe ) 3 or 4 opportunities to appeal if refused leave to stay. each one (on free legal aid) racking up legal fees paid by my tax and your tax.

We are just such a soft touch its just not funny. We are terrified of being accused of being racist. But I really really wonder who (apart from a smallish groups of bleeding hearts) really wants the laws as lax as this? I don't know anyone IRL who does, and I meet a broad range of people week to week.

no the US just let you stay there for years. just don't get caught though

Show up with your family on a 90 day visa waiver and you will not be allowed stay a day after that expires. None of this 'I earn 25k a year online' craic which seems to have worked for this family. None of this renewing a stamp 3 visa indefinitely nonsense. Now they will be entitled to childrens allowance etc.

If the Shinners down in Kerry didn't kick up a fuss, then they wouldn't have been granted a visa. That's no way to run an immigration system and it's no wonder why so many chance their arm or take advantage. It's an open goal.

We are just such a soft touch its just not funny. We are terrified of being accused of being racist. But I really really wonder who (apart from a smallish groups of bleeding hearts) really wants the laws as lax as this? I don't know anyone IRL who does, and I meet a broad range of people week to week.

Landlords, big business and the self flagellating?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Why not? What would happen to us without the EU?

It is better to be inside the tent looking out than being outside looking in.

• Advertisement

Agree completely. There are (I believe ) 3 or 4 opportunities to appeal if refused leave to stay. each one (on free legal aid) racking up legal fees paid by my tax and your tax.

only racists are terrified of being accused of being racist.. there are no "bleeding hearts" apart from in the minds of questionable types

Show up with your family on a 90 day visa waiver and you will not be allowed stay a day after that expires.

if they don't catch you, you will. plenty of people in the US illegally for years.
    If the Shinners down in Kerry didn't kick up a fuss, then they wouldn't have been granted a visa. That's no way to run an immigration system and it's no wonder why so many chance their arm or take advantage. It's an open goal.

no most likely new evidence came to light during an appeal and that is probably why they were allowed to stay. nothing to do with sf who just expressed an opinion on the matter.

only racists are terrified of being accused of being racist.. there are no "bleeding hearts" apart from in the minds of questionable types

:pac::pac::pac: The whole of Ireland was called Racist recently. I think we know by whom.

:pac::pac::pac: The whole of Ireland was called Racist recently. I think we know by whom.
    and? as i'm not a ricist i've nothing to worry about

If they don't catch you, you will. Plenty of people in the US illegally for years.

No most likely new evidence came to light during an appeal and that is probably why they were allowed to stay. Nothing to do with SF who just expressed an opinion on the matter.

And a forthright opinion it was too...

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/35104

“I call on Minister Frances Fitzgerald to act without delay to stop this deportation.”

The "plight" of the family would appear,on initial reading to be an example of official Irish confusion and ineptitude,however in the best traditions of reading between the lines,I'm not quite so sure of the cut'n dried nature of it...
    The Ware family’s trouble began three years ago, when they apparently fell foul of the discord between the two bodies in the Republic of Ireland allowed to award visas to non-citizens,
    As they tell it, the family arrived in Ireland five years ago, in July 2010, on a three-month holiday visa, intending to initially scope out the area and make plans for a long-term return later, but immediately they wanted to stay.
    On receiving the second rejection from INIS,the family planned to move to Northern Ireland for six months until learning that they could not qualify for a visa there. Returning to Kerry,their solicitor made a Humanitarian Leave to Remain (HLTR) request on the grounds of the three girls' integration into their community.

There is an agenda to get the population out of the country [Ireland]. You can claim low unemployment numbers if everybody is abroad, so it isn’t a reciprocal thing. It isn’t working together for the good of the people. It’s 'let’s get rid of these people so that I can have a nice cushy job,'” Shannon believes.

“It seems kind of cynical, but when Enda Kenny went and said to Barack Obama, ‘Oh, we have all the undocumented Irish, can’t you do something?’ we were like ‘Well, what about us and what about all these other people that we know?

Intriguing stuff,for sure,which will make the other side of the story even more interesting surely ?

Wasn't Ferris the Shinner that scooped up Garda McCabes murderers when they were released from prison?

And that arsehole waffling on about 'fairness' for the 'undocumented.'

Wasn't Ferris the Shinner that scooped up Garda McCabes murderers when they were released from prison?

And that arsehole waffling on about 'fairness' for the 'undocumented.'

Not sure about today,but it seems he does have a historical interest in boating...?

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/17744

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

only racists are terrified of being accused of being racist..

I guess Labour councilors in Rotherham are racists for covering up child grooming abuse scandals.

SINN FÉIN has stood by its Kerry North deputy Martin Ferris after he helped spirit away two of the gang who killed Detective Jerry McCabe as they were released from prison.

Yesterday morning a van carrying Pearse McAuley, 42, and Kevin Walsh, 54, was driven away from Castlerea Prison as photographers and reporters were kept 200 metres back.

Mr Ferris was inside the van as it drove ahead of reporters and an unmarked garda car. After a short time the released men were transferred to another car as the transit van was used to block the pursuit.

Mr Ferris’s Dáil colleague Arthur Morgan said Sinn Féin had supported the decision to greet Det McCabe’s killers.

And he denied there was any attempt to thwart the gardaí, who could still have executed a British arrest warrant out on McAuley.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/sf-defends-ferris-as-freed-mccabe-killers-elude-media-98117.html

Him collecting cop killers from prison and then having the gall to waffle on about 'fairness' for the 'undocumented'.

• Advertisement

If they don't catch you, you will. plenty of people in the US illegally for years.

No most likely new evidence came to light during an appeal and that is probably why they were allowed to stay. Nothing to do with SF who just expressed an opinion on the matter.

I wonder if Sinn Féin have an opinion of this latest wheeze....this time focusing on a sorta new "Open Skies" policy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/unexpected-turbulence-at-dublin-airport-seven-passengers-on-inaugural-flight-from-ethiopia-claim-asylum-31332090.html
    It is understood that the passengers disembarked and made their way to Dublin Airport’s immigration gates where they claimed asylum.

They reportedly arrived at the desk without ID or travel documentation.

A spokeswoman for Ethiopian Airlines this morning insisted that all passengers on the flight had full legal documents when they boarded in Addis Ababa but said that the airline does not comment on individual cases.

Gosh...It's not often we are presented with a REAL Mystery,is it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement