Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Awards 2015 [*** Results! ***]

Options
  • 20-05-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

As the regular September-May TV season winds down, it's time to pick our favourites (and least favourites) for the year just gone.

The TV Awards forum is open for business, and the first batch of categories are now accepting nominations. Give it a bit of thought and pick up to 5 favourites for each category.

I've dropped some of the less successful categories (best/worst ads, best kids show etc.) so this year should be less fatty than previous years.

I'll leave this lot open for 5 days, and throw the next batch up on Sunday night.

There will be no second chances, so make sure you get your choices in before then.

May the best shows win!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=485

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Last day for Group 1 nominations. Group 2 goes up tonight.

Group 1 closed.

Group 2 open for nominations.

Group 3 (final group) on Friday night.

Round 2 finishes tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Any idea when the group 3 categories are going to be ready?

Sorry I've been away for the weekend. 3rd group tonight when I get home.

• Advertisement

Go! Go! Go!

The last group is now open until Saturday morning. The survey will go up over the weekend.

Time to vote!

http://spo.io/1IaosBQ

Survey will stay open until Friday at midnight. I'll bump this thread a few times during the week.

May the best shows win. :)

Some of those were really hard to vote on. Also should there be a difference between shows that ended and shows that were cancelled? To me, cancelled implies that they didn't get the chance to end naturally, whereas ended means they did. Case in point - Justified and Parks and Rec got their perfect endings, whereas other shows did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

had to ask myself some hard questions :(

Survey closes Friday night.... (just over 48 hours to go)

http://spo.io/1IaosBQ

• Advertisement

And we're done. Thanks to everyone who voted this year (about the same number as last year). Results are below, and you can see where they were compared to everyone else here.

Note: Anywhere you see two (or three) winners, they were joint winners.

Best Actress
    Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) - Game of Thrones

Best Actor
    Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) - Game of Thrones

Best Comedy
    Parks & Recreation

Best Drama
    Game of Thrones
    Justified

Best Reality Show
    The Apprentice (UK)

Best Soap
    Emmerdale

Most Underrated Show
    Justified

Best New Show
    Daredevil

Best Home Produced Show
    Love/Hate

Best New Character
    Peggy (Agents Carter)

Best Documentary
    The Jinx: The Life & Deaths of Robert Durst

Best Overall Show
    Game Of Thrones

Most Improved Show
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Most Overrated TV Show
    The Walking Dead

Most Promising Show for 2015/2016
    Mr. Robot

Hottest Female
    Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell (Game of Thrones)

Hottest Male
    Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen (Arrow)

Best Twist
    The Flash 123 (Finale): The selfless act of a certain character

Best Storyline
    Justified: Raylan & Boyd

Biggest Shark Jumper
    The Strain: People of New York Oblivious
    House of Cards: Russian Dinner

Best Single Episode of a TV Show
    Game of Thrones - 409 - The Watchers on the Wall

Best Season Finale
    Justified

Best Overall Character
    Boyd Crowder - Justified

Most Memorable Scene
    Game Of Thrones - 508 - Hardhome - White Walkers

Worst Actor/Actress in a Mainstream Show
    Jada Pinkett Smith (Fish Mooney) - Gotham

Standout Performance in a Single Episode
    Jonathan Banks - Better Call Saul - 106 (Five-0)
    Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones - 410 (The Children)

Show That Shouldn't Have Been Cancelled
    Forever
    Parks & Recreation
    Stalker

Show That Should Have Been Cancelled
    The Walking Dead

Best Full Season of a TV Show
    Justified - Season 6
    Daredevil - Season 1

Character You Love To Hate
    Ramsey Bolton (Game of Thrones)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hurrah for Justified!
    I dunno why, but it makes me warm to know some other boardsies appreciated how good of a show it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

G'wan Emmerdale you little beauty... It may get unjustifiably overlooked at many of the Soap Awards, but at least boardsies know it deserves the win...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Must really start Justified after seeing how popular it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Out of curiousity, who were the other 2 people voting for the 100 in every category it was in? It got 3 votes in every category it was up for bar one (when I voted for Andy from Parks & Rec instead of Clarke from the 100 as best character)...

I promised anonymity and I'll keep my word.

I will say that it was the same two people in all categories where The 100 was nominated. Obvious fans! :)

decent results, but i just cant get the love for Daredevil, not that it was terrible, but it beat some shows i would rate well above it,

but to each their own, some of the breakdowns were interesting,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Surprised Game of Thrones did so well, thought it was a very lacklustre season myself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Surprised Game of Thrones did so well, thought it was a very lacklustre season myself.
    I'd agree but I think it's got such a big audience that a lot of people will just vote for it anyway. 'Justified' was a far more deserving winner (and it did well in these awards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Walking Dead most overrated show!! Walking Dead "show that should have been cancelled" Seriously!

Just looked at votes. Walking Dead didnt even get most votes for "show that should have been cancelled......."

BRoadchurch did. Along with The Strain. Or am I missing something...............

• Advertisement

You're missing something, I'm afraid.

TWD got 17 votes
    The Strain got 7 votes
    Broadchurch got 10 votes.

Mr E wrote: »
    You're missing something, I'm afraid.

TWD got 17 votes
    The Strain got 7 votes
    Broadchurch got 10 votes.

Ah, I was only looking at first round votes. I cant access the final votes for some reason. Still a bit of a joke! Last two seasons WD has been excellent. Also a silly award considering if someone thinks a show, for whatever reason, should be cancelled surely they aren't wasting their time watching the show?? So how do they know it should be cancelled!!

Ditto with most overrated show?! Walking Dead is not overrated. Being big budget doesn't make it overrated! It is barely mentioned in mainstream media etc yet ha a huge fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Still a bit of a joke! Last two seasons WD has been excellent. Also a silly award considering if someone thinks a show, for whatever reason, should be cancelled surely they aren't wasting their time watching the show?? So how do they know it should be cancelled!!

Ditto with most overrated show?! Walking Dead is not overrated. Being big budget doesn't make it overrated! It is barely mentioned in mainstream media etc yet ha a huge fanbase.

I'll have to disagree with you. I have watched every single episode of The Walking Dead, and every week I wonder why I am still watching it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. However, since then they have fallen into a consistent pattern of 3-4 boring predictable episodes in a row where there is no character development or story progress, followed by a couple of great episodes and then back to the usual pedestrian plotting.

I tune in each week hoping for a good episode but am usually sadly disappointed. The only thing that keeps me watching is that even in the bad episodes, I still enjoy the special effects, the make up and the kills. So, most weeks I think; even if the story is not great at least there may be some good gore instead.

This is why I really don't get all the excitement about the show. I really don't think that the drama, the story or the characters are noteworthy. Only the effects and that is not enough on its own to make a great show.

I understand that many people love the show and I respect their right to their opinion but I really just don't get the excitement and that is why I feel the show is over rated.

Ah, I was only looking at first round votes. I cant access the final votes for some reason. Still a bit of a joke! Last two seasons WD has been excellent. Also a silly award considering if someone thinks a show, for whatever reason, should be cancelled surely they aren't wasting their time watching the show?? So how do they know it should be cancelled!!

id be the same as DMcL1971 i dunno why i still watch it anymore, i find more wrong with it than i find right with it, and i think its cause of the overhype, i often question reviews of episode where i wonder if were watching the same show,

the show peaked in season 3, with the
    prison and the governer
    , and it just hasnt got back to that level yet in my opinion, its watchable, but can be frustrating,

i generally find it hard to drop shows once im a few season in, and most people would also be like that, its just a bad habit, and im a hypocrite myself for it, cause id be the first to tell someone to simply stop wrecking their own head and stop watching,

and the walking dead litters the media landscape when its airing, its the most watched series on tv, and its a cable show, putting network shows to shame,

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree with you. I have watched every single episode of The Walking Dead, and every week I wonder why I am still watching it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. However, since then they have fallen into a consistent pattern of 3-4 boring predictable episodes in a row where there is no character development or story progress, followed by a couple of great episodes and then back to the usual pedestrian plotting.

I tune in each week hoping for a good episode but am usually sadly disappointed. The only thing that keeps me watching is that even in the bad episodes, I still enjoy the special effects, the make up and the kills. So, most weeks I think; even if the story is not great at least there may be some good gore instead.

This is why I really don't get all the excitement about the show. I really don't think that the drama, the story or the characters are noteworthy. Only the effects and that is not enough on its own to make a great show.

I understand that many people love the show and I respect their right to their opinion but I really just don't get the excitement and that is why I feel the show is over rated.

I guess it depends what you consider is character development. I can see lots of character development to be honest and it is hard to sustain stories in what is an apocalyptic world where civilisation is at its basic dog v dog environment. At end of day romantic endeavours, work, enterprises, domestic aspects are thrown asunder which limits character development completely. Yet you can still see transformations in characters over the seasons from the hardening of characters like Glenn and Maggie, the breakdown from Rick, the softening and opening up of Daryl, Carol going to the dark side a little and then you have intriguing characters like Michonne, Merle and Gareth. The whole The Guvnor character was excellently done, one of the most fascinating baddies (or even characters) I have seen in a series in a long time. Yes there is slow episodes but if the series didn't have that you wouldnt appreciate the climax stories like the Prison War, the Terminus episodes etc if every episode was just focused on huge events, which is unrealistic considering the breakdown of civilisation and the fact that few humans remain. They keep consistent with the walkers, they don't go crazy introducing silly amounts of characters and they stay loyal to character traits. Thy also surprise viewers by killing off characters that are popular unexpectantly.

You also have to remember they have to stay loyal to the comics which they seem to have done more or less.

Some brilliant episodes in Season 4 and 5. There is only so much they can do considering the actual environment/civilisation they live in. Not as if they can bring in other aspects that other shows are able to.

I understand what you are saying but like 28 days later and other apocalyptic dramas, it has to be considered on its own merits and I think they have done a fine job with it. Next season (6) will see more character development than any before considering they are now in some sort of social civilisation and there are some pretty complicated characters coming in so I am confident it has at least two or three great seasons left.

There are far more overrated shows out there. Walking Dead is more cult favourite at this stage so doesnt get half the media attention of, say Game of Thrones.

But like you said, each to their own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's weird that episodes from S4 and S5 of GoT are winning things in an annual competition tbh.

One of those shows that straddles both years, unfortunately. I might add a rule to address that next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    One of those shows that straddles both years, unfortunately. I might add a rule to address that next year.
    And can we exclude shows that were ended by choice from the Should Not Have Been Cancelled category? Both Parks and Recreation and Justified finished naturally and were not cancelled shows...

Noted. :o

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    And can we exclude shows that were ended by choice from the Should Not Have Been Cancelled category? Both Parks and Recreation and Justified finished naturally and were not cancelled shows...
    doesnt mean they should have ended, its only as natural as they make it,

should be shows you want more of or shows you want gone,

Advertisement