Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No feedback from the Moderators after reporting inappropriate posts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    That's more or less the opposite of what is being asked.
    If a post isn't so bad that it has to be deleted but is infracted, then what is the advantage of NOT making the card public?
    But a public card is only of use if you know why a card was handed out; an empty post (or a post with the <issue> deleted) with a card is meaningless for correcting behaviour if you did not read the thread before. Since the editing out of the <issue> would not list the exact reason for edit the only person(s) who can adjust their posting from it are the people who read the post before.

This means that the only time you'd be able to know why a card was given to a user AND know what was written is in case of low level issues left on thread. In all others it would say for example "Mod: Stop calling people names" but if you did not read the post you don't know what insults/words was considered to be name calling and what would not be.

This is why I'm having trouble seeing why you'd insist on all cards being visible because it's only relevant if you know what was deleted from the post (be it the full post or the <issue> part of the post).
    Was this in relation to me? I think arguing with a mod is a stretch when you suggest a sticky because people are supposedly posting things they were apparently not meant to be posting over and over again.

A suggestion done in a courteous manner does not equate to arguing. But if it is the case that we can't quote a moderator - ever - then OK I get that. But surely, that should be site-wide and the 'punishment' dished out should be the same in every case. it should be shown on site in every case.
    I got no clue to what thread or post it relates to so I can't comment on your specifics in this case but in general commenting on a mod decision on thread = off topic and arguing with mod. If someone thinks a mod decision is wrong it should be done via PM and that's common rule throughout boards. I've issued cards for it, I've seen cards issued for it and I've seen mods giving people one chance not to comment further before issuing cards or adding "Don't respond to this on thread" and yet people still ignore it and comment on it. Which triggers an off topic discussion in the thread with people joining in etc. which is why it's a no go in the first place. I have no issues discussing my mod decisions but that's always done off thread to avoid pulling a thread off topic OR in an approved dedicated thread (i.e. using GoT again we set up a Moderator feedback thread for example).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Nody wrote: »
    But a public card is only of use if you know why a card was handed out; an empty post (or a post with the <issue> deleted) with a card is meaningless for correcting behaviour if you did not read the thread before. Since the editing out of the <issue> would not list the exact reason for edit the only person(s) who can adjust their posting from it are the people who read the post before.

This means that the only time you'd be able to know why a card was given to a user AND know what was written is in case of low level issues left on thread. In all others it would say for example "Mod: Stop calling people names" but if you did not read the post you don't know what insults/words was considered to be name calling and what would not be.

This is why I'm having trouble seeing why you'd insist on all cards being visible because it's only relevant if you know what was deleted from the post (be it the full post or the <issue> part of the post).
    Why are you insisting again I am talking about cards not being visible for deleted posts? I am talking about cards not being visible for posts which have received an infraction which are NOT deleted. (well I am talking about it now, this was originally Sunflower 27's point, not mine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Mods have the discretion to act as they see fit in the best interests of the discussion and/or the community and/or the site in some cases. We are not going to try and take that discretion away by having fixed and inflexible rules for the sorts of rules lawyers muppets who make moderation a soul destroying exercise (and we've all seen plenty of them and yes, they are muppets, they're well aware of what they're doing).
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why are you insisting again I am talking about cards not being visible for deleted posts? I am talking about cards not being visible for posts which have received an infraction which are NOT deleted. (well I am talking about it now, this was originally Sunflower 27's point, not mine).

This doesn't happen, it can't. Cards are automatically displayed on a post that receives an infraction or warning - it's part of the software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

To be honest, the whole idea of 'mod discretion' often allows mods to just pick and choose when rules apply (even when they actually don't apply), and often this is accompanied with accusations of 'rules lawyering' when inconsistency in the rules is pointed out - which is used as a bit of a "mods can never be wrong" trump card sometimes.

There are valid uses/needs in both cases - mod discretion is obviously needed, and rules lawyering does happen - but the 'rules lawyering' excuse is often used as a cover for mod screwups (or when mods don't care if a rule is applied inappropriately, but are gunning for someone anyway), or to threaten users who criticise/contest mod decisions (even when done through proper channels, and when the criticism is valid).

Often it is mods who engage in rules lawyering really - I would say that this counts for quite a large proportion of overall 'rules lawyering' - take the example of the poster above, who was warned for replying to a mod post, even though the reply was harmless and they weren't causing any trouble - there is supposed to be the idea that there is 'mod discretion', yet often mods engage in rules lawerying in a "computer mod says no" fashion, to insist that a warning is upheld, even when (in the example of the above poster) there is clearly mod discretion available for reversing a warning placed on a harmless post.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

To be honest, the whole idea of 'mod discretion' often allows mods to just pick and choose when rules apply (even when they actually don't apply), and often this is accompanied with accusations of 'rules lawyering' when inconsistency in the rules is pointed out - which is used as a bit of a "mods can never be wrong" trump card sometimes.
    Where is this happening?

I would be very uncomfortable with a situation where moderators are going rogue and applying rules they've made up in their head without the DRP picking up on it.

I don't think moderator discretion covers some sort of making-it-up-as-we-go-along scenario - in fact, I think this thread has painted quite a clear picture of when and where moderator discretion is applicable. It is used as a means to enforce the rules that actually exist.

I'd just like to point out (not directed at you, KB), that I find the term 'rules lawyering' hateful and meaningless. The site has empowered moderators with the interpretation of the rules. If a further interpretation is required, it can be done via the DRP. I think the term is supposed to refer to people who are trying to plaster their own interpretation over the rules to aid their case. It's insulting to lawyers to make the comparison tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Of course this is the case, but I don't imagine any mod is going to say they agree.

Mod discretion sounds good, but I wonder who it actually benefits, because it sounds to me like me it only benefits the mods who can pick and choose which posters to publicy attempt to "shame" by warnings and what-not and which not to.

I enjoy posting on boards, but if we are honest, there are quite a few times where I have seen a mod response that I have thought was nothing more than them bowing to public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Where is this happening?

Of course this is happening. But because some mod actions are secret there is no way for a user to show this is happening.

But over time you occasionally find out thing because a user PMs you or because it happens to you.

Where is this happening?

I would be very uncomfortable with a situation where moderators are going rogue and applying rules they've made up in their head without the DRP picking up on it.

I don't think moderator discretion covers some sort of making-it-up-as-we-go-along scenario - in fact, I think this thread has painted quite a clear picture of when and where moderator discretion is applicable. It is used as a means to enforce the rules that actually exist.

I'd just like to point out (not directed at you, KB), that I find the term 'rules lawyering' hateful and meaningless. The site has empowered moderators with the interpretation of the rules. If a further interpretation is required, it can be done via the DRP. I think the term is supposed to refer to people who are trying to plaster their own interpretation over the rules to aid their case. It's insulting to lawyers to make the comparison tbh.
    Ya I dislike the term rules lawyering myself, it's a term I think is incorrectly/inappropriately used at times.

I have an example of (what I view as) inappropriate throwing around of the rules lawyering accusation, in response to inconsistent application of the rules (which there are innocent/understandable reasons for on part of mods), but - long story short - I can't post it because, funnily enough, it'd be against this subforums rules.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Of course this is happening. But because some mod actions are secret there is no way for a user to show this is happening.

But over time you occasionally find out thing because a user PMs you or because it happens to you.

They're not secret to me or the Admins and if a mod pulls that sort of stunt, they don't remain a mod - in fact, they don't remain a member on this site.

To hullaballoo: I appreciate the point re: the term Rules Lawyering - common parlance we can agree, but something I'll try to avoid using because that doesn't make it right.

Dav wrote: »
    They're not secret to me or the Admins and if a mod pulls that sort of stunt, they don't remain a mod - in fact, they don't remain a member on this site.

What I am saying is that I cannot (nor can other ordinary users) show you where inconsistent rule application is happening very easily when some mod actions are invisible from ordinary users.

And with respect, I dont imagine you have the time nor the inclination to be going over every single mod action daily?

And even if an example was made clear, certainly my perception is that the mods and admins will "circle the wagons" (sorry I cant think of a better phrase) and us users will just be told that some things are mod discretion only - because its not in Boards best interests for mods to be made look bad in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sometimes its best for the thread and everybody's sanity to delete loads of crap, no record would be visible but chances are ye are missing nothing.

As regards discretion, we do need room to make decisions and not just be ticking boxes. Rules lawyers are the death of forums and serious time wasters for both users and the mod team.

You'll often see the essay posts dealing with every single possible point, and often they might be right in minute points, but they are so focused on the minutae they don't get the bigger picture.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Of course this is the case, but I don't imagine any mod is going to say they agree.

Mod discretion sounds good, but I wonder who it actually benefits, because it sounds to me like me it only benefits the mods who can pick and choose which posters to publicy attempt to "shame" by warnings and what-not and which not to.

I enjoy posting on boards, but if we are honest, there are quite a few times where I have seen a mod response that I have thought was nothing more than them bowing to public opinion.

Tbh that's very unfair on mods, and it's so wide ranging and cynical I just don't know how I could allay your fears. It just doesn't tie in with my experience of mods I've worked with.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What I am saying is that I cannot (nor can other ordinary users) show you where inconsistent rule application is happening very easily when some mod actions are invisible from ordinary users.

And with respect, I dont imagine you have the time nor the inclination to be going over every single mod action daily?

And even if an example was made clear, certainly my perception is that the mods and admins will "circle the wagons" (sorry I cant think of a better phrase) and us users will just be told that some things are mod discretion only - because its not in Boards best interests for mods to be made look bad in public.

Your perception and our realities are 2 very different things, especially considering you have no idea what communication goes on behind the scenes nor what I do and don't read. :) I don't read every mod action, I don't need to - I trust our mods. I read things that get reported to me to read. That's quite a lot of stuff and it does take quite a lot of my day - my job is, after all, support the mods. Humans are great at seeing patterns, it's one of the reasons we're able to beat computers at a lot of things. We're also great at spotting patterns that aren't there and selectively picking out data to support our hypothesis - that's why we have (or try to have) many eyeballs on many things to get consensus and head-check ourselves.

When people on this forum talk about circling the wagons etc, very, very few of them are willing to see or understand that the reason you see Mods and Admins all saying the same thing in those times is because those are the rules. If you think that the Mods and Admins agree on everything or have some sort of agenda to support each other no matter what, then you are grossly misinformed.

There is one more thing too that no one wants to say, but I'm going to. Sometimes there are people that you can only describe as arseholes who have little for doing than causing stress. We are, if anything, far too soft on these types, but the community wants accountability and transparency and I support that, so we have to show why someone's an arsehole and why we want them gone. When some of said arsehole's cronies start weighing in and muddying waters with half-truths and selective telling of events what happens? We see steaming piles of ..... of threads (and I'm not for one minute suggesting that this thread is even remotely close to this sort of thing by the way) and nothing but stress for 3 days for all concerned.

Now ask yourself this, if you were a volunteer and you thought, even for a second, that you might be slightly out of line, and knowing that this sort of thread I mention above is the potential result, would you go ahead and ban someone just because they ticked you off or they made a point you personally disagree with?

These issues keeps coming up and we're blue in the face telling people.

We will not be sending an acknowledgement of reported posts - it's not something that's easy to implement technically, nor is it something I would ask any mod to manually do. And above all else, and I say this with the greatest of respect and sincerest of thanks to all members of the site for making the reporting process work: it's none of your business what happens unless you're the one that's been reported.

We will not be getting a definitive and exhaustive list of what's allowed and what's not - aside from it being an impossibility, we have no interest in operating the site in that way.

We will not be insisting on standardised responses to rules breaches either - again, far too restrictive and unworkable. Every forum is different and some people either don't or won't accept this is the case, but that isn't going to change.

There aren't many hard and fast rules on the site (I'm actually in the process of re-doing them for clarity), but they're all common sense ones - don't be a dick, don't derail threads questioning what mods are at, don't post about illegal stuff and don't threaten to sue someone.

We've definitely got room for improvement in how all of this stuff works, I'm not suggesting it's perfect, but it is a process we've been refining for fifteen years and in that time we've gotten a pretty good idea of what we're at and what works or won't work. If people could give *US* the benefit of the doubt, that would be great and we'll give them the benefit of the doubt when they've made a mistake - everyone wins. It's easy to type something silly and forget where you are, especially if you're talking with friends and so on. A polite PM solves 90% of issues, but a polite PM is an unfortunately rare thing.

K-9 wrote: »
    Tbh that's very unfair on mods, and it's so wide ranging and cynical I just don't know how I could allay your fears. It just doesn't tie in with my experience of mods I've worked with.

I don't need you to allay my fears. :confused: This doesn't keep me up at night. I don't think it unfair at all. I am not saying it is ALL mods, but certain forums, AH in particular, is a clear breeding ground for mods enjoying flexing their muscle.

Just an observation and something many others have said to me over the years on here (I was here before but left and came back, hence the post count).

Your perception and our realities are 2 very different things, especially considering you have no idea what communication goes on behind the scenes nor what I do and don't read.

Well thats exactly the point Dav. There is no transparency of what goes on behind the scenes so I cannot see your reality. Obviously I am only aware of my own perception. This is why this thread exists, and I have seen other threads over time where users have requested some kind of visibility of reported posts and if they were actioned or ignored or whatever.

However, it is clear that you do not want this.

I will bow out now as I am aware that raising ones head above the parapet to ask such questions is a risky business.

Mods have the discretion to act as they see fit in the best interests of the discussion and/or the community and/or the site in some cases. We are not going to try and take that discretion away by having fixed and inflexible rules for the sorts of rules lawyers muppets who make moderation a soul destroying exercise (and we've all seen plenty of them and yes, they are muppets, they're well aware of what they're doing).

I think that is unfair and dismissive. I also think it leaves plenty of room for people to feel as if they have been treated unfairly. Not everyone that questions a warning is a muppet. Many just want to know why what is good for some is not good for others. And that is entirely fair enough. If you are given a warning for quoting a mod and the next person that does it isn't show to be reprimanded the same way, of course people are going to get miffed. It's human nature.

If there is to be no standardising of warnings and bans, and by that I mean all of them being made public, then you (mods in general) open themselves up for questioning and ridicule.

You may see it as not wanting to take away that mod discretion, but then if that is the case, you can expect people to question it because it clearly is unjust to have some outcomes for some and other outcomes for others.

I don't need you to allay my fears. :confused: This doesn't keep me up at night. I don't think it unfair at all. I am not saying it is ALL mods, but certain forums, AH in particular, is a clear breeding ground for mods enjoying flexing their muscle.

Just an observation and something many others have said to me over the years on here (I was here before but left and came back, hence the post count).

Flexing their muscles!

AH is so busy it's a tough and time consuming job to mod. Tbh while us mods have disagreed with mod decisions I don't think I've ever doubted the intentions of mods I've worked with.

K-9 wrote: »
    Flexing their muscles!

AH is so busy it's a tough and time consuming job to mod. Tbh while us mods have disagreed with mod decisions I don't think I've ever doubted the intentions of mods I've worked with.

That's OK. We will agree to disagree on this one :)

I don't think it unfair at all. I am not saying it is ALL mods, but certain forums, AH in particular, is a clear breeding ground for mods enjoying flexing their muscle..
    I have been seeing statements like this for years - see my previous point re: selective data samples. The AH mod team is the biggest on the site, do you not think they don't check in with one another and make sure they're being as consistent as they can be? What you're suggesting simply doesn't add up. Given how busy AH is, the Admins and I are always available to them too for advice and guidance and they regularly make use of us because they have no interest in making stress for anyone.
    Well thats exactly the point Dav. There is no transparency of what goes on behind the scenes so I cannot see your reality. Obviously I am only aware of my own perception. This is why this thread exists, and I have seen other threads over time where users have requested some kind of visibility of reported posts and if they were actioned or ignored or whatever.

However, it is clear that you do not want this.

I will bow out now as I am aware that raising ones head above the parapet to ask such questions is a risky business.
    Just imagine for a moment that the entire process was transparent. How is a team of people meant to have a discussion about what someone has done and what actions it warrants when the person they're discussing is reading it? How on earth could that work? Explain it to me, cause I'm working at this for the last 6 years and I've been a volunteer here since we started having volunteers in 2000, and nothing I have ever seen has indicated to me that what you're proposing will result in anything other than chaos and upset. And hey, if you've (not you personally, I mean the rhetorical you) done something that warrants moderator attention, then you're the one at fault, not the mods for trying to clean up your mess.

And here I am trying to answer your questions and we get that stupid statement about heads over parapets. Do you see why no one wants to deal with people like you (and NOW I mean you personally)? I've given you an answer, you don't like it, you make some sort of "oh look, they're out to get me, beware everyone" and then you'll use this thread as justification for causing more stress when you next break a rule (and you will because you've already got a history of it). That's a pattern we see time and time again.
    I think that is unfair and dismissive. I also think it leaves plenty of room for people to feel as if they have been treated unfairly. Not everyone that questions a warning is a muppet. Many just want to know why what is good for some is not good for others. And that is entirely fair enough. If you are given a warning for quoting a mod and the next person that does it isn't show to be reprimanded the same way, of course people are going to get miffed. It's human nature.

If there is to be no standardising of warnings and bans, and by that I mean all of them being made public, then you (mods in general) open themselves up for questioning and ridicule.

You may see it as not wanting to take away that mod discretion, but then if that is the case, you can expect people to question it because it clearly is unjust to have some outcomes for some and other outcomes for others.
    No, it absolutely isn't. The real world does not work that way, how and why should it? This is not a single site, it's a collection of communities. They're all different. They're all supposed to be different, otherwise what's the point?

Here's the most obvious and clear cut reason why it can't work the way you think it should...

2 posts appear on a forum - both of them are talking about a subject that is taboo or that has been deemed inappropriate. Both posts are by someone who's been a member for a month, both get reported. The first shows that the member who posted it is a re-reg of a known idiot. It gets nuked and the idiot gets permanently site banned. The second is from a brand new member who simply didn't realise that the particular subject was trouble. It gets deleted and they get sent a PM from a Mod saying "hi there, we don't discuss this subject for <reasons>" and that's that.

2 radically different results to the same issue. You're proposing that we should treat both of these cases the same and I'm telling you why we can't or won't. Now of course, we can say "well obviously that doesn't apply because of the first person being a re-reg" and so on. So then we have to have an exception which has to be written down somewhere for the sake of clarity for people who are too ignorant to care about rules anyway.

Then we add "well obviously this second person shouldn't get off without a ban just because they're new and they didn't read the rules" and so now we have two exceptions to what was a black and white rule as you proposed.

What then when we have to add an exception for "Well I didn't see that the mod had posted a warning in the thread because I was typing a multi-quote response to 4 different people?" Suddenly your proposed black and white rule has layers of clauses and subsections all of which simply serve to confuse the issue and give numpties something they think they can fight over where as if we simply say "hey mods, do what you think is right and in the best interests of the discussion and community" then all of that stops being an issue.

*IF* there's an abuse of a mod's position, it's very obvious very quickly to an Admin or I if it's kicked up the line to us (and as I said, it frequently is). I can count on one hand the number of times this has turned out to be the case since I've been a member of this site, never mind an employee - that's because we pick people who are smart and not inclined towards being a numpty themselves to be moderators - some people are better at this sorta thing than others.

I don't know why people cannot accept that we have been down all these roads many, many times before - this site is practically ancient in terms of the internet and as I said previously, our policies are based on experience of what works for us and what works when you factor human behaviour into the equation.

Just imagine for a moment that the entire process was transparent. How is a team of people meant to have a discussion about what someone has done and what actions it warrants when the person they're discussing is reading it? How on earth could that work? Explain it to me, cause I'm working at this for the last 6 years and I've been a volunteer here since we started having volunteers in 2000, and nothing I have ever seen has indicated to me that what you're proposing will result in anything other than chaos and upset. And hey, if you've (not you personally, I mean the rhetorical you) done something that warrants moderator attention, then you're the one at fault, not the mods for trying to clean up your mess.
    A different topic, but people are entitled to this information due to data protection:
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/14.htm

I agree with you though, that you can't have everything open and public all the time - but consider as well that discussions that happen behind the scenes, are ones where a poster doesn't have any right of reply to defend themselves, or to contest/correct any (innocently) misleading/mistaken claims about them - which is a way that biases can (again, innocently) be built up.

Just to disclaimerize a bit: I know mods/admins do their best to keep things running smoothly, and are under a high amount of workload, and appreciate all of that - so I wouldn't attribute any potential fault/bias on mods/admins part to bad intent or anything, only to perfectly normal human mistakes/biases.

• Advertisement

I was just referring to actioned posts Dav.

However your response leads me to a new question. How come you are allowed to get personal with me in a post on a thread? Is that not you breaking a site wide rule?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A different topic, but people are entitled to this information due to data protection:
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/14.htm
    To be clear - mods and Cmods have no access to any personal information unless a user posts that information themselves

I cannot know for certain because clearly I have no access myself, but would imagine that all the Admins and office staff can access (again beyond what is posted by the user themself) is the basic data they provide when signing up

On the topic of showing all mod actions - there are some situations where this is simply not possible. It may be that someone posts information that has to be removed, either because it's illegal, or perhaps encouraging illegal activity. It may contravene data protection rules (by naming another user for example). Then there are those posts that are advertising either directly or perhaps via username. Of course leaving any spam visible is exactly what the spammer wants - they will take a ban if they think they can get away with it. In cycling we have a no doping speculation rule on the basis that any unsubstantiated allegations leave the site (and possibly users) open to potential legal action. We have a cycling adverts sub-forum - again if someone falls foul of rules and places an advert that contravenes the rules we are not going to leave that advert up just to show what action we have taken

These are just examples that come immediately to mind. There will be plenty of others that other mods can come up with. To suggest we should not have discretion in this area has the potential for causing the site and its users major problems

No, it absolutely isn't. The real world does not work that way, how and why should it? This is not a single site, it's a collection of communities. They're all different. They're all supposed to be different, otherwise what's the point?

Here's the most obvious and clear cut reason why it can't work the way you think it should...

2 posts appear on a forum - both of them are talking about a subject that is taboo or that has been deemed inappropriate. Both posts are by someone who's been a member for a month, both get reported. The first shows that the member who posted it is a re-reg of a known idiot. It gets nuked and the idiot gets permanently site banned. The second is from a brand new member who simply didn't realise that the particular subject was trouble. It gets deleted and they get sent a PM from a Mod saying "hi there, we don't discuss this subject for <reasons>" and that's that.

2 radically different results to the same issue. You're proposing that we should treat both of these cases the same and I'm telling you why we can't or won't. Now of course, we can say "well obviously that doesn't apply because of the first person being a re-reg" and so on. So then we have to have an exception which has to be written down somewhere for the sake of clarity for people who are too ignorant to care about rules anyway..

Perhaps if the same questions are coming up time and time again, it is worth looking at why and looking at a possible solution.

The example you use is an odd one. You are assuming that of the two posters, one is a known 'idiot'.

I can only speak about my own experience. Very clean record, if you want to call it that, but got a warning for a suggestion made to a mod to add a sticky. I broke the rule, OK, I get a warning on the site.

I see the same thing happen a few pages along and to my surprise, there is no warning given. If quoting a mod is a well-known 'offence' then I don't know how it could be missed, especially when reported.

If you are banned or get a warning then it should be made clear to everyone and everyone should be treated the same. Known 'offenders' or not. If someone is renowned by the mods as an idiot, why are they still posting anyway?

I'm presuming if they were that bad they would be banned.

What is more important? A site that treats all posters equally or a site that is more concerned with mods having discretion to choose to show a warning for one poster and not for another?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Beasty wrote: »
    To be clear - mods and Cmods have no access to any personal information unless a user posts that information themselves

I cannot know for certain because clearly I have no access myself, but would imagine that all the Admins and office staff can access (again beyond what is posted by the user themself) is the basic data they provide when signing up

On the topic of showing all mod actions - there are some situations where this is simply not possible. It may be that someone posts information that has to be removed, either because it's illegal, or perhaps encouraging illegal activity. It may contravene data protection rules (by naming another user for example). Then there are those posts that are advertising either directly or perhaps via username. Of course leaving any spam visible is exactly what the spammer wants - they will take a ban if they think they can get away with it. In cycling we have a no doping speculation rule on the basis that any unsubstantiated allegations leave the site (and possibly users) open to potential legal action. We have a cycling adverts sub-forum - again if someone falls foul of rules and places an advert that contravenes the rules we are not going to leave that advert up just to show what action we have taken

These are just examples that come immediately to mind. There will be plenty of others that other mods can come up with. To suggest we should not have discretion in this area has the potential for causing the site and its users major problems
    These aren't particularly good examples of "mod discretion" TBH which is what is the discussion point. Nobody is claiming legally contentious or spamming type posts should be allowed to remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is there actually any real reason why its not site policy for mod to leave a card on a post instead of (or addition too) taking other action with actionable posts?Its a truely minimal amount of effort (perhaps a current mod can enlighten me but I have known people in real life who have modded here and AFAIK adding a card is really quick!).

My cynical view is that its because it allows a standard comeback about why posts aren't actioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Don't quote me on this but I was told this a while back before I was a mod: due to technical limitations, you can't ban and display a card. A ban is one of the options we can use. It's basically an "or" thing, not an "and" thing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Make it a policy and you then need exceptions such as the ones I have already mentioned. That leaves shades of grey, resulting in, as is happening in this thread, cries of inconsistency

Now a few years ago we were actively encouraged to leave stuff up where we could, to give posters an idea of where the line is drawn - it really makes little difference in my experience as those who typically cause trouble seem to have difficulty in changing their ways

The edict we did receive has never been withdrawn, and from what I see (which I acknowledge is mainly in the sports forums) is that mods do like to leave posts up with cards clearly visible where possible. It's not as straightforward with bans, as the mod has to specifically draw attention to the "offending" poster by making a specific comment with a statement to the effect of "user xyz banned"

What I find much more effective though is when a mod places an in-thread warning (which, in fast moving threads, it is preferable to be repeated in the OP if it has wider application)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod discretion for me in one sentence is the application of leniency when a rule is breached. I do this ALL the time in sensitive topics e.g abortion. It's my discretion. I like to give all new users as much of a chance in so far as is reasonably possible to learn the ways of a dialectic. This can be rather difficult in a topic where there's strong claims to human rights on both sides. Posters can get heated, then calm down, then get heated again etc. In this regard, one poster with a slightly heavier infringement may not be infracted, may not even receive a formal warning card. They'll probably just a polite PM suggesting they take a break, or a verbal warning in thread. Another poster may get a warning/infraction for a lighter infringement. Simply put the more they've been cropping up on my radar the more likely they are to receive a more serious infraction than a first time offender. Can't keep giving people a chance to conform. They either know how to post in a civil constructive manner, or they don't.

All too often posters fail to understand this. One poster isn't necessarily carded for a given post. Rather they're carded for their succession of posts edging the line or crossing over it.

Now, the question is, am I expected to provide information to another poster on what moderator action took place? Nope. That's between the user in question and the moderator. I might do it out of courtesy but odds are if you're already the type of poster who's in the timesink category I'm not going to write a detailed explanation as to why another poster was apparently actioned differently. Especially, if you can't accept your own wrong. "Oh yeah I did say this. But HE said this and wasn't sanctioned". AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! REPORT THOSE POST(s)! All too often you get someone pissing and moaning about the lack of a sanctions and complaining the mods were biased against them. There were 50+ a4 pages of posts to read. We cannot read all of them. So Report the damn things to bring them to our attention!

Do this seem unfair to someone who doesn't know what moderation actions are going on? Yes, probably. I'd like to ask another question? Does the policy seem fair though to both parties posting records wise? Everyone get's a chance - within reason. Once they start seething on the boundaries or beyond there's no real choice but for a mod to eventually start putting cards and more serious things on their record.

Beasty wrote: »

Ah, maybe there is a miscommunication here - I meant that data protection, means users are entitled to all records about themselves, which would include e.g. mod discussions about them (which was the bit I was pointing out an issue with, in the post I replied to); I wasn't questioning mod discretion with that post.

• Advertisement

Perhaps if the same questions are coming up time and time again, it is worth looking at why and looking at a possible solution.

The example you use is an odd one. You are assuming that of the two posters, one is a known 'idiot'.

I can only speak about my own experience. Very clean record, if you want to call it that, but got a warning for a suggestion made to a mod to add a sticky. I broke the rule, OK, I get a warning on the site.

I see the same thing happen a few pages along and to my surprise, there is no warning given. If quoting a mod is a well-known 'offence' then I don't know how it could be missed, especially when reported.

If you are banned or get a warning then it should be made clear to everyone and everyone should be treated the same. Known 'offenders' or not. If someone is renowned by the mods as an idiot, why are they still posting anyway?

I'm presuming if they were that bad they would be banned.

What is more important? A site that treats all posters equally or a site that is more concerned with mods having discretion to choose to show a warning for one poster and not for another?

You should appeal the card in the DRP, cases like yours would stand a good chance of getting over turned given what you say is correct. I know you said it doesn't really bother you, but it obviously does.

As for treating some posters differently xmfor the exact same post, somebody with a poor record could end up with a ban because they continuosky ignored cards, a newbie not.

That's pretty normal procedure in work, school, everyday life basically.Why people expect it to be different here I don't have a clue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement