Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society Outing - Dundrum House Hotel Golf & Leisure Resort 23rd May

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Athlone - have you had many rounds without losing a ball in run up ?. :p

I'll have the heat on full blast on the way up, he won't wake up till about 1!!!:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Seve OB wrote: »
    Weather looking good for the weekend folks :)

Time Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4
    11:20 paulos53 Keano DWD
    11:28 ballyK recycled roadrunner
    11:36 Buddy Holly kiers47 princess poppy
    11:44 doublecross golfgraffix a post punk
    11:52 FixedPitchmark pistolpetes11 HoleInOne
    12:00 mafc O'Reilly Tony athlone99
    12:08 Shaunac93 The cHamp26 3putt
    12:16 Ciaranra macker1 charlieIRL titlebearer
    12:24 Rikand Seve OB tigerwood1 WGC

Just a suggestion : Would it be possible to have everyone's current handicap included on the timesheet in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'll ask the obvious question - why?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Keano wrote: »
    I'll ask the obvious question - why?

Simple really saves looking back on outing thread to see what your current h/c is. As I said just a suggestion........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

dundrumhousehotel.com website is brutal. Anyone got a course guide or some more tips. Golfgraffix guide would have been nice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

mafc wrote: »
    Simple really saves looking back on outing thread to see what your current h/c is. As I said just a suggestion........
    Fair enough. It'll be on your card anyhow so no need to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

going to be nice and relaxed for Saturdays game. Have a back, neck and shoulder massage booked in for 9:30 to kick start the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Seve OB wrote: »
    going to be nice and relaxed for Saturdays game. Have a back, neck and shoulder massage booked in for 9:30 to kick start the day :)

And I thought tour players had it tough

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

Athlone - have you had many rounds without losing a ball in run up ?. :p

haha nope, only had one round since tullamore! looking forward to this one do! I'll take a round wiht no scratches this time!!

Ah now Charlie dont be jealous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

RoadRunner wrote: »
    dundrumhousehotel.com website is brutal. Anyone got a course guide or some more tips. Golfgraffix guide would have been nice :rolleyes:

There is no stroke saver that i am aware of.

Will throw up a few hole tips tomorrow if i get a chance. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

One thing I will say about Dundrum is that's it's quite long and there's water involved on alot of holes. From recollection, the 4th 5th 6th 7th 9th 10th 13th and 17th all involve a water hazard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

My ball flight hates water.
    I'll be happy with 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I feel like I'm due a good boards outing score wise...maybe I'be just been having too much fun, sorry in advance to my playing partners your going to see competitive, serious Shauna on Saturday :p Won't accept anything less that 40 points or pints we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm due a good boards outing score wise...maybe I'be just been having too much fun, sorry in advance to my playing partners your going to see competitive, serious Shauna on Saturday :p Won't accept anything less that 40 points or pints we'll see :)

40 points is generally good enough for a win round Dundrum. 40 pints is more likely to see you headed towards the hospital than the winners enclosure

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

charlieIRL wrote: »
    And you will need a few!!

Ahh no, in fairness to the course off the tee you are fine on most holes. For example your 2nd and 3rd shot into the Par 5 11th is very tight - like the 10th in Birr. Trees both sides and OOB on the right. :eek:

That hole is my nemesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bobster453

Getting a 0.1 is not that hard charlie - I guess you went to tipp to find out :p

Sorry lads - bad joke :P:D

Haha..i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi all i will be away while you enjoy Dundrum.One of my all time favourite courses..gutted to be missing one only 30 minutes from home.Great course once the wind is kind.Have the usual BGS fantabulous day out and see you all at the July outing.
    Ps Seve i will have the same size polo shirt as you with a little more material around the middle please :)

ballyk wrote: »
    That hole is my nemesis!

New plan for me on that hole Saturday, driver, 9 iron, 9 iron, 9 iron, 9 iron, putt!!!:D

I can hit my 9 iron straight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

New plan for me on that hole Saturday, driver, 9 iron, 9 iron, 9 iron, 9 iron, putt!!!:D

I can hit my 9 iron straight!!

I thought you were loving your irons? :)

RoadRunner wrote: »

1st hole - Par 4 - Straight forward hole. Slight dogleg left to right. Right hand rough makes it very hard to get up and do as everything slopes right to left and you will need to be lucky not to get blocked out. Just right of the fairway bunker would be the ideal line. A 3 wood would leave no more than an 9i in. Green is tricky 2 tiered freen and if on the wrong level a 2 putt is pretty difficult.

2nd hole - Par 4 - Essential to hit the fairway here. Plays opposite to the first back towards the first tee. Right to left dogleg.Play for the right side of the fairway. Possible to get lucky with a wayward one to the right but go left and you are looking at a bogey at best.

3rd hole - Par 3 - The most difficult par 3 here in my eyes. Aim for the gap just left of the front bunker. Short is better than long/left/right. Green is bigger than it looks from the tee.

4th hole - Par 4 - Looks harder from tee box than it is. Trees on the left is a no go area. Nice drive to center of fairway will leave a medium/short iron in. Very flat green aim for the right side as a miss right will leave a decent chance at an up and down. There is a bunker on the left side.

5th hole - Par 4 - Driveable par 4, About 270 and often plays downwind demands a fade if going for it as there is a pond front and left of green. Ideally bring a low iron/hybrid to the tee. Fairway is very wide. Shot to top of the hill will leave no more than a wedge in.

6th hole - Par 3 - Water water everywhere... Probably will be no more than a good 9i depending on wind/pin. Water front and back with some nasty bunker also front and back. Really depends on where the pin is but if right hand side of green you can play to the hill right taking the water completely out of play and most likely you will kick on or to fringe to leave a putt.

7th hole - Par 5 - Long arrow straight par 5. OOB right. A river runs in front of the green which makes it virtually impossible to take on in 2 even with a massive drive. You could probably play it hybrid, hybrid, wedge. Driver brings fairway bunker into play. Straight over the center of the hill with you second. Water is about 150yds from very top of hill. Very tricky green and pin can often be on the side of a hill. Par is a great score here

8th hole - Par 4 - Massive tree to the right of fairway makes the tee shot crucial. If you leave yourself back from it far enough it is very possible to hit it over. Short par 4 though. Monday into a gale played 3 wood 8i. No wind you could nearly hit an iron off the tee to leave another short iron.

9th hole - Par 4 - Long par 4 Dogleg right to left. The hotel is OOB ;). Draw off the tee would be the shot if one had it. Try to stay as close to the big tree on the left as possible Drive to the top of the hill will leave a handy iron in. River again comes into play for the second. Play for the center of the green Par is a good score here.

10th hole - This hole is a cracker (my favourite here). That bleedin river runs the length of the hole to the right of the fairway. 3 massive oaks in the center of the fairway make position off the tee key. Right of them is the aggressive line. Left of them safer. Green is fairly straightforward. There is a bunker left of the green and it is a relatively makeable up and down short or right. Again take your par and run to the 11th

11th hole - Par 5 - Up a pretty steep hill. There is a new water drain in play this year which was put in to make the hole more difficult as they lost a lot of trees left and right of the fairway in the big storm a few years back. Again no way is it a 2 shotter especially with the narrow gap for the second shot. A good drive and 6/7 iron will leave a short club in. Green is tricky if on the wrong level so try on stay on the same level as the pin.

12th hole - Par 3 - Not much to say about this hole. Short bland par 3 with flat green

13th hole - Par 5 - Plays back down the hill you come up on the previous par 5. Aim down the left hand side and hope for the best. Depending on firmness of ground the ball can run forever. A lay up in front of the water will leave at most a 7 iron in. The lay up is before the water. No point bringing it into play if you are going to play it as a 3 shotter.

14th hole - Par 4 - Par 4's all the way home from here. Shortish one to begin. Left of the big tree at the top of the hill is the line. Shortish hole. If you get to the top of the hill will leave a wedge in. Tricky up and down from left or right of green.

15th hole - Par 4 - Lots of room in the right hand rough but there are 2 bunkers to dodge. Left is pretty tough with trees everywhere. Ideally the right hand side of the fairway will leave the best approach. Green is pretty straightforward.

16th hole - Par 4 - Very similar to the last hole play in the opposite direction.

17th hole - Par 4 - Very tough hole. Driving downhill dogleg left to right. Tee shot is well right of the bunker as close to the big tree on the right as possible. 2nd shot plays over water to an elevated green. Hit enough club. there is a bunker right and the up and down from left of the green is a lot easier. Green is tough.

18th hole - Par 4 - A brute of a hole 450 yards and it usually plays every bit of it. Will require your Sunday best and another cracker to make it in 2. Everything kicks left so aim at the right edge of the fairway on the drive. If you make it to the top of the hill it is possible to get a favourable bounce down the slope to leave an easier 2nd shot. The green is massive very deep with bunkers to the right. Aim for the center and hope for the best. A par par finish is a great finish on these 2 holes

Thats about as good as i can do :)

• Advertisement

I do, I just want to score on every hole and if that means taking the risk out then that's what i'll do!! Managed to do that until a silly mistake on the 12th on Monday. Too many doubles though :(

Jeasuz Kiers, taking away our advantage, gonna hide that post until monday!!!!!!:P:D:D:D

Excellent advice though.

Jeasuz Kiers, taking away our advantage, gonna hide that post until monday!!!!!!:P:D:D:D

Excellent advice though.

Haha. If someone can follow that advice rigidly and play the shots they deserve to win. ;)

Will be lucky to follow my own advice. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Thanks Kiers, printed that off and will throw it into the bag for Saturday.

After reading that.

This place sounds a nightmare.

As Kiers said- over 40 should do it so.

I may just hit the bar - not driving.

After reading that.

This place sounds a nightmare.

As Kiers said- over 40 should do it so.

I may just hit the bar - not driving.

Its a fantastic course. You'll love it...................ya big wuss!!! Bottle of Red friday night and you'll be grand!!:D:D

Its a fantastic course. You'll love it...................ya big wuss!!! Bottle of Red friday night and you'll be grand!!:D:D

You going to lay up much Charlie ? ;)

You going to lay up much Charlie ? ;)

Only on the tough par 3's!!!!!!!!!!!😈☺

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

People, please if you can on Saturday try to have the exact fee of €37. Makes it easier with change etc.

Also, remember you can pay a few quid deposit on the hotel. River Lee Hotel, €70 B&B (I think...will have to dig out the confirmation)

Taking deposits for the t-shirts, orders will be placed next week. Price of the t-shirts will most likely be €25. I'll have a sample with me on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It is with a great deal of regret that I have to withdraw from the event. I've been pretty unwell for a week now and i don't look like improving before the weekend.

Raging as I was really looking forward to it :(

Advertisement