Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini One nearside dipped beam not working

Options
  • 18-05-2015 11:41am
    Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I noticed my girlfriends passenger side dipped beam wasnt working the other day so bought some OSRAM nightbreakers to give her a bit of a lighting upgrade. Turns out the bulbs were not the problem.

So far ive just swapped out the existing bulb for a new one - No nearside dipped light
    Swapped the 2 existing bulbs around - No nearside dipped light

Im going to get my hands on a multimeter and check if im getting 12 volts to the pins, and if the monster 50amp fuses are ok (I assume they are since the offside dipped beam works).
    Aside from that, what else could/should I be checking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What year/generation of mini? Lights integrated with bonnet or not?
    The connectors on her MINI are in a bad way now after over 10 years of heat and vibration but you sound like you know enough to spot if the connector was fudged.
    Check for 12V and a good ground is a good start. Check back along the cables if it is the 01-06 R50 model - maybe a wire has chafed where it comes out at the bonnet?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What year/generation of mini? Lights integrated with bonnet or not?
    The connectors on her MINI are in a bad way now after over 10 years of heat and vibration but you sound like you know enough to spot if the connector was fudged.
    Check for 12V and a good ground is a good start. Check back along the cables if it is the 01-06 R50 model - maybe a wire has chafed where it comes out at the bonnet?

Sorry, forgot to mention the year. Its a 2006, lights are integrated with the bonnet. Ive checked the connector block at the headlamp itself, though could probably swap the entire left and right lamps to be totally sure.

Are there any switches or relays or anything? I can check for 12V at the dipped light connector, and at the headlamp connector block, but from there a quick wire chase brings me across the bonnet and down into the depths of the engine bay. No sign of rubbing. If its just a straight wire from ECU-> fuse box -> lamp (ie. no switches/relays) it could be a pain to figure out.

I have a haynes manual at home I'll have a look at the wiring diagram.
    Couldn't find one in a quick google search.
    The only switch is the stalk switch which must be sending the correct signal to the Body Control module (BC1) if you are getting one side lighting. The BC1 then has four outputs, one for each bulb. Would have assumed there would be relays rather than the BC1 driving things directly. Hopefully it's a relay/fuse/connection - I wonder what price a replacement BC1 + coding is...

This link explains the BC1, except that wher you would expect a wiring diagram for halogen lights it has a mini sales pitch for the benefits of xenon. Awesome.

Ok unfortunately it looks like no relays. None external anyway. Probably the BC1 has pcb mounted ones.

Maybe fuse. Check the 50A ones, these are general power supply to the BC1 so I would expect more things to be acting up if one was gone.

Looks like a 20 way connector to/from the BC1.

12v from fuse FL12 is a red wire with white stripe at the BC1.
    12v from fuse FL8 is a red wire with yellow stripe when it reaches the BC1.

wires from bc1 to headlights:
    white wire blue stripe RH dip
    yellow wire blue stripe RH main
    white wire green stripe LH dip
    Yellow wire green stripe LH main.

Both light units have a brown earth wire.

The early models did not have good protection of the bc1 module. Your model should have a cap on it to stop water ingress under normal conditions. What can happen is that a wandering band of drunken apes may have attempted to slap a replacement windscreen in and caused a leak near the plastic trim on the A pillar.

Ugh... those details are from a 01 to 05 Haynes manual. Can't guarantee same details for 06.

• Advertisement

Its more than I had before. Borrowed a multimeter from a buddy at work (its in shocking condition), so ill have a look around this evening.

Its more than I had before. Borrowed a multimeter from a buddy at work (its in shocking condition), so ill have a look around this evening.

If you google "mini cooper wds" you will find a link to online wiring diagrams. (Bmw planet)

After 15mins of fluting around with java updates and settings you may eventually be able to access it.
    long story short 06 looks to be the same as what I described...

Ended up likely being a loose wire or something. Took the headlamp out, checked the wiring with the multimeter and was getting voltage. Scratched my head a bit, poked around a bit more. Then put the lamp back in and connected all back up and hey presto... a working headlamp. No idea what it was, but its sorted now.

Noticed some oily looking stains where we park up though. Laid down some cardboard and hoping I see nothing on it over the next few days.

Thanks for all the efforts SC, though apologies I didnt get to use them. :D

Not a bother, I'm sure that info will benefit me, if nobody else, sooner or later.

I've been fixing little bits and keeping an eye out for the common problems on an R50 mini for over 6 years now so shout if you have any questions.

Not a bother, I'm sure that info will benefit me, if nobody else, sooner or later.

I've been fixing little bits and keeping an eye out for the common problems on an R50 mini for over 6 years now so shout if you have any questions.

You can add "cracked thermostat housing" to that list. Had to get that replaced last year. Oh, and the fuel filler gauge never shows full. Most it'll go to is a bit over 3/4 full when its brimmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement